Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: 2022 Rock n Roll Hall of Fame nominees

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    H'mmm. Different strokes I guess; I found the few George Michael songs I heard trite and dull. One of them was definitely "Faith."
    I don't think this issue is different strokes. Everyone posted that they don't really get into Michael's music but the issue is he had talent and was a skilled performer.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    It seems like every year you can put together a much better slate of inductees from those who were nominated but didn’t make the cut. I would have taken Joy Division/New Order, Cyndi Lauper, Iron Maiden and A Tribe Called Quest over most of the non-Kate Bush inductees.
    "It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters

Cyndi Lauper? Seriously?
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I don't think this issue is different strokes. Everyone posted that they don't really get into Michael's music but the issue is he had talent and was a skilled performer.
    Which is what I deny when I say that I found the songs I heard "trite and dull."

Well, okay; that's just songwriting. I suppose he could still be a talented and skilled performer. But his cover of Elton John's "Tonight" did not suggest that to me.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    I wonder if Sheryl Crow will give a shout out to Kevin Gilbert during her acceptance speech.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar

from the Key & Peale movie "Keanu," which you should watch instead of the Rock 'n' Roll Hall Of Fame Awards.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    At risk of getting kicked off PE I'll mention that I went to see George Michael at the peak of his US fame in the late 80s. A woman at work had an extra ticket... that's my story and I'm sticking to it...

I gotta say the guy was a huge talent and put on a great show. George and his band were airtight, his singing was perfectly on pitch, perfectly in control, and I'm quite sure everything was 100% live. All the material on the Faith record was played IIRC and he really rocked it in an arena environment. I left that show not exactly a "fan" but definitely interested in hearing new music from him. He kind of fizzled in the US after that but I understand he continued to have big hits throughout the rest of the world for many years.
    He fizzled in the U.S. for a few different reasons. One was his refusal to appear in music videos for his follow-up album, Listen Without Prejudice Vol. 1, which was the point of the album title. Still, that album was a gift to me as it includes some of my favorite George Michael songs, with this topping them all. I also believe this was the first music video where the lyrics were not accompanied with other visuals.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Cyndi Lauper? Seriously?
    Sure. Also Pixies and Smashing Pumpkins have never even been on the ballot. Pixies sounded like a cool as hell 90s band in the late 80s. Kurt Cobain said that “Smells Like Teen Spirit” was just his attempt at writing a song that sounded like Pixies. Smashing Pumpkins were one of the few US based 90s bands that I instantly enjoyed. Mostly I liked Blur, Oasis, Pulp, Suede etc. at the time. The B-52’s have never been on the ballot. They should be. Bjork too.

Am I the only one who finds Rage Against The Machine to be boring and one dimensional? My problem is that Raging Against The Machine is literally the only thing they do.

Not sure if anyone's followed this but Jann Wenner has embarrassed himself.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/20...-of-fame-board

I heard it in the news. I think he made it worse with his excuses.

Jeesh, that article makes Wenner come across as an arrogant gate keeper and tyrant who fancies himself as pop music taste maker and cultural overlord, otherwise I would have never suspected him as such.

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    Jeesh, that article makes Wenner come across as an arrogant gate keeper and tyrant who fancies himself as pop music taste maker and cultural overlord, otherwise I would have never suspected him as such.
    Next month, they’re going to reveal that the pope is Catholic.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Rock 'n' Racism Hall of Fame

the only reason I ever read the list was in the hopes Supertramp could re-unite for a night.

H'mmm. Different strokes I guess; I found the few George Michael songs I heard trite and dull. One of them was definitely "Faith."
    I only ever liked one George Michael song, and it was his first solo release:

Cyndi Lauper? Seriously?
    Spoken like someone who's only ever heard "Girls Just Want to Have Fun" and knows nothing else about her.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Not sure if anyone's followed this but Jann Wenner has embarrassed himself.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/20...-of-fame-board
    crying tweed reaction.jpg
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    Spoken like someone who's only ever heard "Girls Just Want to Have Fun" and knows nothing else about her.
    Uh, not really.

Nice try, though. But, please, share your deep and revered (by you, anyway) knowledge and make the case for her induction.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Uh, not really.

Nice try, though. But, please, share your deep and revered (by you, anyway) knowledge and make the case for her induction.
    At this point it's more like, "why not?" Lots of acts in the HoF with only one or two albums in the can, but they're in because of their perceived importance and influence... by the people who say so. I mean, who had multi-colored, candy-floss hair and shaved one side of their head before She's So Unusual came out? (Wendy O was too 'fringe' so she doesn't count). Every girl that bought the album wore three shades of eye shadow at once and wore whacky, mismatched clothing. Every girl that bought the album bought multiple cans of hairspray every week (because their stupid brother kept making flamethrowers out of them). Lauper made it cool to like pro-wrestling, brother. She deserves to be in the HoF if the only thing she ever did was the Goonies video.

The MC5 are oft-nominated and never elected, giving pause to the entire concept of a hall of fame- though I would think they should win and then tell the hall to go eff themselves.

But as for Cyndi Lauper, I am not sure she should be voted in, but her live version of Money Changes Everything from the 80s is sort of cracking good. She really is a fine singer, despite her persona (which is really her, anyway):
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

Lauper once said something that had me laughing for minutes, something that illustrated that behind the "dumb" persona there's a really sharp and educated mind.

Discussing someone who was no longer in her life, she called him stupid, adding, "I think there was something wrong in the medulla of his oblongata." Bam!
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Lauper once said something that had me laughing for minutes, something that illustrated that behind the "dumb" persona there's a really sharp and educated mind.

Discussing someone who was no longer in her life, she called him stupid, adding, "I think there was something wrong in the medulla of his oblongata." Bam!
    Maybe but the medulla oblongata is one thing not two. Or maybe that was her attempt at humor.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    At this point it's more like, "why not?" Lots of acts in the HoF with only one or two albums in the can, but they're in because of their perceived importance and influence... by the people who say so. I mean, who had multi-colored, candy-floss hair and shaved one side of their head before She's So Unusual came out? (Wendy O was too 'fringe' so she doesn't count). Every girl that bought the album wore three shades of eye shadow at once and wore whacky, mismatched clothing. Every girl that bought the album bought multiple cans of hairspray every week (because their stupid brother kept making flamethrowers out of them). Lauper made it cool to like pro-wrestling, brother. She deserves to be in the HoF if the only thing she ever did was the Goonies video.
    Most of that has to do with pop culture, not rock and roll.

Whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    Maybe but the medulla oblongata is one thing not two. Or maybe that was her attempt at humor.
    I don't know for certain, but I'm guessing that in her phrase, medulla = middle of. You know what they say about humor...if you have to explain it, it's not funny.

Most of that has to do with pop culture, not rock and roll.
    ...Which might as well be the slogan of the R&RHOF.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I don't know for certain, but I'm guessing that in her phrase, medulla = middle of. You know what they say about humor...if you have to explain it, it's not funny.
    I seem to recall hearing that statement. Maybe she used the phrase more than once. It seemingly was part of her schtick. I seem to recall that it might have been during her involvement with the WWF, which was pretty fitting, IMNSHO.