Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: 2022 Rock n Roll Hall of Fame nominees

Kate Bush is in my mind a major star who absolutely deserves this. Period. And for me, the MC5 so deserves this- for whatever reason, they have been overshadowed by their contemporaries, the Stooges (and Iggy), but as someone who was there, the MC5 were by far the greatest live act of the day. I can take or lleave everyone else on the list. Some are of no interest to me and never have been, such as White Stripes (even though a Detroit connection). But that's me. JT and KC deserve it, and I would love to see how Fripp would respond (better than Dylan with his Nobel Prize, I hope).
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

they have a new "Mission" statement that I guess has them justify non "Rock" or "Rock N Roll" artists getting in.

https://www.spin.com/2023/02/the-roc...nd-long-shots/

New Mission
    On Monday, Rock Hall CEO Greg Harris shared an updated version of the Hall’s mission statement: “Born from the collision of rhythm & blues, country and gospel, rock ‘n’ roll is a spirit that is ever-changing. The Rock & Roll Hall of Fame celebrates the sound of youth culture and honors the artists whose music connects us all.”

Emphasizing “spirit” over sound or instrumentation is a smart move as the Hall increasingly casts a wider net outside of guitar-based rock. Indeed, hip-hop acts have been getting inducted almost every year for more than a decade. And last year, Dolly Parton joined Johnny Cash as one of the most notable country singers in the Rock Hall, although Parton herself was initially reluctant, at first declining her nomination. The first-time nomination of Willie Nelson, who’s been eligible since the Hall’s founding in the ‘80s, suggests that country legends may start becoming annual additions along with rappers and soul singers.
    I'm happy to see George Michael, Sheryl Crow and Iron Maiden. And if George Michael indeed gets in, very likely my wife and I will go to the ceremony as she's a MASSIVE fan.

However, it still does not excuse the year-after-year dismissing of THE MONKEES, which them and/or Michael Nesmith would mean a lot more than even George Michael and Sheryl Crow to my lifer-Monkees/Nesmith fan wife.

Sadly, their best shot might be the consolation prize "Musical Excellence" at this point.

Also putting in Joy Division/New Order together speaks to moving the goalpost. I guess then put in The Guess Who/Bachman Turner Overdrive? or even this year, put in both George Michael and Wham!, LOL.

Also with Dolly Parton getting in last year, and now Willie Nelson? if you have any small level of crossover from Country to pop, you can get in? Why has there never been any JAZZ artists to do the same? Weather Report? Mahavishnu Orchestra? Brubeck, etc..it reeks of hippocrasy of course.

^Definitely the Guess Who. Not BTO. Not a fair comparison, either. But, I digress.

Steppenwolf is more deserving that most of that list.

Johnny Winter should have been in years ago
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by mnprogger View Post
    if you have any small level of crossover from Country to pop, you can get in? Why has there never been any JAZZ artists to do the same? Weather Report? Mahavishnu Orchestra? Brubeck, etc..it reeks of hippocrasy of course.
    George Benson or Kenny Rogers. Both had massive crossover success (Rogers is in the Country HOF as is Parton and Nelson).

Quote Originally Posted by mnprogger View Post

Also putting in Joy Division/New Order together speaks to moving the goalpost. e.
    What do you mean? I'm not happy about it, as I view Joy Division and New Order as two very different bands that just happens to have the same rhythm section and guitarist, but if Joy Division gets in, I'll be happy, even if they have to share the honour with that other band.

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    George Benson or Kenny Rogers. Both had massive crossover success (Rogers is in the Country HOF as is Parton and Nelson).
    Then there's Johnny Cash who, I believe, is in the R&R HOF, the Country Music HOF, and the Songwriters HOF.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Then there's Johnny Cash who, I believe, is in the R&R HOF, the Country Music HOF, and the Songwriters HOF.
    And if they ran the Bakery Hall Of Fame like they run the Rock Hall, he'd be in there too.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    And if they ran the Bakery Hall Of Fame like they run the Rock Hall, he'd be in there too.
    Yes, "Hello, I'm Johnny Cash" has a hall pass wherever he goes.

Quote Originally Posted by SunRunner2 View Post
    Yes, "Hello, I'm Johnny Cash" has a hall pass wherever he goes.
    My point wasn't that Johnny Cash wasn't significant or worthy of acclaim. It was about the ridiculous "standards" of the Rock Hall.

Dude, you are talking about the Rock Hall- which was basically a Jann Wenner thing, and contrary to the real values of rock.
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

I don't have a problem with Motown or pop groups getting in.

Quote Originally Posted by Dana5140 View Post
    Dude, you are talking about the Rock Hall- which was basically a Jann Wenner thing, and contrary to the real values of rock.
    No doubt, but the beast that is Rock music was neutered well before they came up with the idea of a Rock Hall. If they must do it, they should at least do it right.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    The RRHOF's lack of legitimacy is a long dead issue for me. The inclusion Yes, Rush and Deep Purple hasn't changed that. It's a yearly celebration by a small group of people who are intoxicated by the smell of each other's farts. I will continue to maintain that exclusion, at this point in time, is a more honorable badge of distinction. Deep Purple members should have told them to stick it.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    My favorite band, the Yapathetic Yawn, was not nominated again this year. If I thought it would do any good, I'd give the RRHOF a piece of my mind, but it wouldn't, and I don't have that many pieces left.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

My beer buzz demands I comment:

I hate the RRHOF. I despise giving trophies to musicians. Music, like all art, it not a competition. It's all just a popularity contest. Just because something is popular doesn't make it good.

Thank you for your time.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by IncogNeato View Post
    My beer buzz demands I comment:

I hate the RRHOF. I despise giving trophies to musicians. Music, like all art, it not a competition. It's all just a popularity contest. Just because something is popular doesn't make it good.

Thank you for your time.
    No need for a thank you; you stated it so crystal clear. It is Art of the highest order, for those of us who have an undying love of music. As I have alluded to previously; I determine my musical pursuits based on the qualifier of "timeless value and endless beauty".

There needs to be a Progressive Rock Hall of Fame. And they need to do it quickly. We're all getting on in years.

Quote Originally Posted by Moribund2 View Post
    There needs to be a Progressive Rock Hall of Fame. And they need to do it quickly. We're all getting on in years.
    There is. It consists of the twelve British bands PROG magazine pimps in each issue.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Moribund2 View Post
    You're visiting it right now.

Some of you sound almost like my dad used to sound.
    Miles Davis is not jazz.
    Swing is not jazz.
    Bebop is not jazz.
    And don't mention jazzrock.
    Anything made after 1935 is not jazz.
    If it isn't in Rust, it might not be jazz. (Rust is Brian Rust, the author of extensive jazz-discographies, with everything recorded before 1935)

Results are in:

Performer Category

Kate Bush
    Sheryl Crow
    Missy Elliott
    George Michael
    Willie Nelson
    Rage Against the Machine
    The Spinners

Musical Influence Award

DJ Kool Herc
    Link Wray

Musical Excellence Award

Chaka Khan
    Al Kooper
    Bernie Taupin

Ahmet Ertegun Award

Don Cornelius

I'm not thrilled with that Musical Excellence Award way of getting in. That is how Judas Priest got inducted, and I know many of their fans felt that wasn't a "real" induction. Supposedly Halford was unhappy about it as well. The award for Musical Excellence — which was originally titled the "Sidemen" category when it debuted — is given to "artists, musicians, songwriters and producers whose originality and influence creating music have had a dramatic impact on music". I believe this was also the method for getting Kraftwerk "inducted". Definitely feels like a lower tier.

Meh.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    Results are in:

Performer Category

Kate Bush
    Sheryl Crow
    Missy Elliott
    George Michael
    Willie Nelson
    Rage Against the Machine
    The Spinners

Musical Influence Award

DJ Kool Herc
    Link Wray

Musical Excellence Award

Chaka Khan
    Al Kooper
    Bernie Taupin

Ahmet Ertegun Award

Don Cornelius

I'm not thrilled with that Musical Excellence Award way of getting in. That is how Judas Priest got inducted, and I know many of their fans felt that wasn't a "real" induction. Supposedly Halford was unhappy about it as well. The award for Musical Excellence — which was originally titled the "Sidemen" category when it debuted — is given to "artists, musicians, songwriters and producers whose originality and influence creating music have had a dramatic impact on music". I believe this was also the method for getting Kraftwerk "inducted". Definitely feels like a lower tier.
    Iron Maiden get screwed again.

Any prog bands left that should get in? I think ELP should be in. A strong case can be made for Kansas also. I think King Crimson and Jethro Tull should be, but suffer from "too many lineups/one central figure", so maybe Fripp and Ian A eventually get honored with that Musical Excellence Award? I also think Procol Harum should be in, but "A Whiter Shade of Pale" was inducted into the new Singles category a few years back, so the Hall probably figures that's enough.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I always watch the ceremonies and find some of the non-prog bands interesting to watch. This year, however, the only person I'm familiar with is Kate Bush. Actually - there is a few, including Willy Nelson and Sheryl Crow.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)