Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: RIP Meat Loaf

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    Hunh. I
    c) Have always detested Ted Nugent. Well, except for one little spoken bit on the Double Live Gonzo version. ("This here guitar can blow the balls off a bull rhino at forty paces")
    I used to have Double Live Gonzo on virtually non-stop.
    "Don't look here. The joke's in your hand."

- Public Restroom Wall

Quote Originally Posted by Man In The Mountain View Post
    They even had Springsteen's drummer and piano player on BOOH, as well as Todd's Utopia.
    As I understand it, Kasim Sulton was not yet a member of Utopia. He and Todd met at the BOOH sessions. When Utopia reconvened to begin work on what was to become the RA album, Roger and Willie were wondering where John Siegler was, and who this Tiger Beat pin-up boy was in his place. Of course, Kaz earned his place in Utopia, and became irreplaceable (they tried with Doug Howard but it didnít take).
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Here, enjoy this gem from Meat’s early days with his duet partner Shaun “Stoney” Murphy (MUCH later a member of Little Feat):

Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    As I understand it, Kasim Sulton was not yet a member of Utopia. He and Todd met at the BOOH sessions. When Utopia reconvened to begin work on what was to become the RA album, Roger and Willie were wondering where John Siegler was, and who this Tiger Beat pin-up boy was in his place. Of course, Kaz earned his place in Utopia, and became irreplaceable (they tried with Doug Howard but it didn’t take).
    I didn’t know that, I always assumed Kazim was brought in by Todd for the sessions.

As for Meat, BOOH was the only one that ever connected with me, but it was a thrill back in the day, and from the very first moment I saw him and the band performing Paradise on the OGWT I was hooked on that album. I played it yesterday in tribute for the first time in decades, and it was fun to remember. Such a tragedy to be brought down by a crazy anti-vax attitude, I didn’t think he would have been that person.

It looks like WDR is broadcasting a concert of Meat Loaf in the Rockpalast series this night, so I'm going to record that.

I can't say I've heard that many of Meat Loaf's albums but Bat Out Of Hell is a favourite. A case in point, I played it at the beginning of this week and played it again after this news emerged. One of those lightning-in-a-bottle albums, he and Jim Steinman had the perfect producer in Todd Rundgren who essentially 'got' the off-the-wall, grandiose vision.

I've always had the impression it was an even bigger hit in the UK (its chart position doesn't reflect how many copies it's sold) and indeed his subsequent albums sold fairly well here too. Australia was another huge market for that album.

The belated follow-up Dead Ringer has its moments, and then he had that mid 90s comeback with BOOH II.

Better to remember him that way, I think, than the infamous AFL performance, the Mitt Romney 'America the Beautiful' video etc.
    Last edited by JJ88; 01-23-2022 at 09:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    I can't say I've heard that many of Meat Loaf's albums but Bat Out Of Hell is a favourite. A case in point, I played it at the beginning of this week and played it again after this news emerged. One of those lightning-in-a-bottle albums, he and Jim Steinman had the perfect producer in Todd Rundgren who essentially 'got' the off-the-wall, grandiose vision.

I've always had the impression it was an even bigger hit in the UK (its chart position doesn't reflect how many copies it's sold) and indeed his subsequent albums sold fairly well here too. Australia was another huge market for that album.

The belated follow-up Dead Ringer has its moments, and then he had that mid 90s comeback with BOOH II.

Better to remember him that way, I think, than the infamous AFL performance, the Mitt Romney 'America the Beautiful' video etc.
    But, didn't you just remember him for the AFL performance by mentioning it?

Profondo Giallo Crystal Plumage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    I will always remember the argument my Grandma had with my Aunt when my cousin Leo got BooH at Xmas. "Satan's Music!"
    The Meatloaf in this clip would agree!

HuGo
    "Very, very nice," said a man in the crowd,
    When the golden voice appeared.
    She was gold alright, but then so is rust.
    "Such a shame about the beard."

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    But, didn't you just remember him for the AFL performance by mentioning it?
    Probably...but it's definitely one of those performances which left a trail behind it.

Dead Ringer
    has some good tracks, but because of various behind-the-scenes issues, ended up as sort of a thrown-together affair compared to its predecessor. So songs intended for the follow-up to Bat Out Of Hell instead ended up on Steinman's solo album Bad For Good, which again sold reasonably well in the UK. Some of those songs did eventually later appear with Meat Loaf vocals on Bat Out Of Hell sequels.

I remember Bat Out Of Hell II being a massive hit when it came out, especially the lead single.
    Last edited by JJ88; 01-23-2022 at 01:08 PM.

One of his last performances a few months back on the Huckabee show. His back surgeries really limited his mobility, but he sure could still sing:

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    As I understand it, Kasim Sulton was not yet a member of Utopia. He and Todd met at the BOOH sessions. When Utopia reconvened to begin work on what was to become the RA album, Roger and Willie were wondering where John Siegler was, and who this Tiger Beat pin-up boy was in his place. Of course, Kaz earned his place in Utopia, and became irreplaceable (they tried with Doug Howard but it didn’t take).
    While that is certainly possible, but the release dates somewhat argue against it: RA, the first Utopia album with Kasim, came out in February of 1977; Bat out of Hell in October of that same year. While it is possible that BOOH was shelved for a while, I don't really see it working that way.

(Does a little digging and finds this

How did you meet Todd Rundgren?

It was a series of happy accidents. I was playing with Cherry Vanilla at the time in New York City. I was playing keyboards and Cherry took me into the band because I could sing and they needed to replace a guy by the name of Patrick Henderson, who was an amazing piano player. Through playing in that particular band, I met tons of really great people in the New York City scene. This was the mid 70’s and I was hanging out with people like Mick Ronson, Tony Zanetta and Leee Childers, the photographer. Hanging out at Max’s Kansas City and playing there in 1974. One of the guys who I became very close with was Michael Kanaan, the piano player, arranger and orchestrator and just a great guy. He kind of took me under his wing. I grew up on Staten Island and I was friendly with Earl Slick and Earl’s guitar player was playing with David Bowie at the time along with Michael Kamen. They did the Bowie “Diamond Dogs” tour together. I went over to Earl Slick’s house one day to take him to JFK airport and I walked in his front door and he said, “Do you feel like playing bass for Todd Rundgren”? I said “I don’t know, I guess”, and he said when we get to JFK , call Michael Kamen up and tell him you are interested in the gig and he will recommend you. I did just that and the next day Michael called Roger Powell and told him someone is interested in auditioning for the band. The next day I took a Greyhound bus up to Woodstock and that is how I ended up being in Utopia!
    If a bird can speak, who once was a dinosaur,
    and a dog can dream
    should it be impossible
    that a man might supervise the construction of light?