Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Blue Öyster Cult s/t - 50 years today

Blue Öyster Cult s/t - 50 years today

Not prog rock, perhaps, but by any definition a progressive album in its time, and one that still holds up astonishingly well.

I somehow only recently got into BOC. They have an amazing stretch of great albums.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Still my favorite BOC album. I have a copy signed by the Bouchard brothers.

Blue Öyster Cult is one of the best f—ing bands ever. Buck Dharma mops the floor with most of his peers' instruments (yes, really).

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I've never listened to the first couple of albums from them (a bad habit!), so I guess today's a good day to listen to the first! It should have aged properly for me to enjoy it by now! I sometimes like to wait half-a-century or so for the keyboards to develop more body.
    Primary procreation is accomplished…

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Holm-Lupo View Post
    Not prog rock, perhaps, but by any definition a progressive album in its time, and one that still holds up astonishingly well.
    Agree!

A few days ago I was listening to their first 4 studio albums which are the ones I like the most; BOC has a good discography with other great works and I quite like their latest album "The Symbol Remains" (2020) too!.

Good call Jacob!
    Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

I saw B.O.C. on the Secret Treaties tour and it was amazing!! They released several concept albums over the years and they crossed over into Progressive Rock at different times...whenever they felt like it...and depending on what kind of theme they were pursuing. They worked with Sandy Pearlman and Michael Moorcock. B.O.C. held my interest. Buck Dharma is a fine guitarist

Always happy to be reminded how much I love B.O.C. and as everyone has said, this album is one of their finest. I know it's not usually filed under prog rock (I think there may even have been a thread in the off-topic forum about whether they're prog or not?). But when I was first getting into prog as a teenager the appeal was in the imaginative space it created, the way it allowed a surreal otherworld to escape into, and BOC work as well for that as anyone.

Not my favorite from them, but still a stone cold classic!

The first three all sound similar to me especially the first two. I think the first one is good but they only got better.
    You can't take a photograph of Uzis on a street corner.

One of the luring aspects for me...as a teenager in the 70s listening to B.O.C. was the fact that they seemed to be Science Fiction/Fantasy and tied into occult related references.

In the early 70s I was listening to B.O.C. and right around this period in time there was a ritualistic killing that took place at Menantico...which is a mile from my house.

The police had information or an idea that a very large group of people witnessed the young man's death . They began interrogating a sect. This brought me closer to B.O.C. because they seemed to make references to a sect or a cult. The experience of hearing their music and the tragic incident made me a believer .

On the Imaginos album the band returns to some of the early concepts and Sandy Pearman has always been a unique driving source in those areas. Eric Bloom has stated in the past that the record company presented the band with Witchcraft books , Science Fiction novels, and other occult related topics and asked the band to study the literature and write songs about it.

It is possible that the band weren't particularly interested in pursuing that image or concept prior to signing with Columbia. Nevertheless they were one of the more interesting inventive bands with a dark image from that genre. When I met Eric Bloom he had a dry humor and acted quite jaded around B.O.C. fans asking questions about the occult lyricism. I can understand what he must put up with. When I saw B.O.C. in 1974 a lot of people in the audience were dressed in black hooded cloaks. B.O.C. have had an overall mysterious image through their music and lyricism..and it attracted people of the left hand path.

Quote Originally Posted by Enidi View Post
    One of the luring aspects for me...as a teenager in the 70s listening to B.O.C. was the fact that they seemed to be Science Fiction/Fantasy and tied into occult related references.

In the early 70s I was listening to B.O.C. and right around this period in time there was a ritualistic killing that took place at Menantico...which is a mile from my house.

The police had information or an idea that a very large group of people witnessed the young man's death . They began interrogating a sect. This brought me closer to B.O.C. because they seemed to make references to a sect or a cult. The experience of hearing their music and the tragic incident made me a believer .

On the Imaginos album the band returns to some of the early concepts and Sandy Pearman has always been a unique driving source in those areas. Eric Bloom has stated in the past that the record company presented the band with Witchcraft books , Science Fiction novels, and other occult related topics and asked the band to study the literature and write songs about it.

It is possible that the band weren't particularly interested in pursuing that image or concept prior to signing with Columbia. Nevertheless they were one of the more interesting inventive bands with a dark image from that genre. When I met Eric Bloom he had a dry humor and acted quite jaded around B.O.C. fans asking questions about the occult lyricism. I can understand what he must put up with. When I saw B.O.C. in 1974 a lot of people in the audience were dressed in black hooded cloaks. B.O.C. have had an overall mysterious image through their music and lyricism..and it attracted people of the left hand path.
    One thing with B.O.C. and their lyrics is that a good chunk of them were written outside the band with collaborators with sci-fi / horror writers. Of course, Sandy Pearlman constructed the whole “Imaginos” saga which weaved it’s way in and out of B.O.C. albums all through their career. For me, the mysterious, odd lyrics were a big part of the appeal of the band.

Have you checked out Albert Bouchard’s two “Imaginos” albums? They get mixed reviews from B.O.C. fans, but I dig them.

A very good debut album, yes !
    Prog or not, it felt fresh and still does.
    I love the artwork on the first two albums, and the elegant mystery that emanates from them.
    A great mix of rock'n'roll, hard rock, psychedelia, melody, sci-fi and lyrical weirdness.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    One thing with B.O.C. and their lyrics is that a good chunk of them were written outside the band with collaborators with sci-fi / horror writers. Of course, Sandy Pearlman constructed the whole “Imaginos” saga which weaved it’s way in and out of B.O.C. albums all through their career. For me, the mysterious, odd lyrics were a big part of the appeal of the band.

Have you checked out Albert Bouchard’s two “Imaginos” albums? They get mixed reviews from B.O.C. fans, but I dig them.
    Thanks...I will check those out...

Thanks...I will check those out...
    The first one is callled "Re-Imaginos" which came out in 2019 I think, and then "Imaginos II - Bombs Over Germany" came out last year. He is planning to complete the third and final album sometime in the next year or two.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    One thing with B.O.C. and their lyrics is that a good chunk of them were written outside the band with collaborators with sci-fi / horror writers.
    Then you have people like Patti Smith writing lyrics for them too, people who brought something else to the table, a bit more high-brow (I love the Moorcock and stuff too, I'm a big Moorcock fan). Yes, along with the talent in the band, they were well set on lyrics.

BTW, I'll give one more shout out for Jacob's book Blue Oyster Cult: Every Album, Every Song (On Track). It's great for people just getting into BOC who want a good guide for the journey!
    Last edited by JKL2000; 01-17-2022 at 01:12 PM.
    Primary procreation is accomplished…

The first one is callled "Re-Imaginos" which came out in 2019 I think, and then "Imaginos II - Bombs Over Germany" came out last year. He is planning to complete the third and final album sometime in the next year or two.
    Wow! I had no idea about these. I haven't been keeping up with the times. There was a Rock band that one of the Bouchard brothers formed. I'm going to Google that again. Cant recall their name.. I believe they were from N.Y.... Some of their albums were really good. They recorded a really strange song that I cannot recall it's title. It describes a guy walking into a truck stop and in the lyric I think he hints that the Truckers were reading his thoughts . He mentions the devil in the song. The song is very creepy to me.

B.O.C. also recorded a soundtrack in the 80s I used to like. It was along the lines of Goblin and some of the tracks were really cool! I thought gold dust of them. My memory is shot and I'll have to Google it again.

I loved B.O.C.'s first album! I used to play it alongside Lucifer's Friend (self-titled) , Black Sabbath, and Uriah Heep Demons and Wizards. That style of Rock intrigued me for years. A recent band called Lucifer captures that style on their first album. ...Lucifer 1. I love that cd! Lucifer Was ...Underground and Beyond captures that momentum aside from sounding like Tull. The first B.O.C . has a great album cover and interesting songs. Always loved it!

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Then you have people like Patti Smith writing lyrics for them too, people who brought something else to the table, a bit more high-brow (I love the Moorcock and stuff too, I'm a big Moorcock fan). Yes, along with the talent in the band, they were well set on lyrics.

BTW, I'll give one more shout out for Jacob's book Blue Oyster Cult: Every Album, Every Song (On Track). It's great for people just getting into BOC who want a good guide for the journey!
    Yes! Patti Smith and Michael Moorcock were interesting with B.O.C! Fascinating stuff to me. Jacob's book is a must have I'm sure!

Just heard the whole first album on YouTube. Damn fine, early 70s, hard rock. I like it. I'm not a huge fan of BOC but I've seen them live a couple times. Great band. I heard Heaven Forbid recently. That is one heavy album. Heaviest metalish I've ever heard BOC sound.

B.O.C. also recorded a soundtrack in the 80s I used to like. It was along the lines of Goblin and some of the tracks were really cool! I thought gold dust of them. My memory is shot and I'll have to Google it again.
    Bad Channels.

Yes, every BÖC fan should own it! The movie is full-fledged early '90s cheese-horror and I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    Bad Channels.

Yes, every BÖC fan should own it! The movie is full-fledged early '90s cheese-horror and I like it.
    Fair warning for those who don't know - this album only has two proper Blue Oyster Cult tracks on it. They are both fantastic, IMO.

The rest of the album includes some cuts from other bands that I've never heard of, and aren't very good. Also it includes some noodling around by Buck Dharma for about 20 minutes (based on cues in the movie I believe), but credited to Blue Oyster Cult. This portion isn't really worth too many re-listens either.

But the two tracks make the soundtrack worth seeking out.

re: first album

I always liked Redeemed. The whole album is fantastic, but I always liekd that song. They seemed to always have great songs closing their records, e.g. Redeemed Mistress Of The Salmon Salt, Debbie Denise, Nosferatu, etc.

re: Bad Channels

I saw that movie ages ago, on cable TV. Martha Quinn is in it.

I think She's As Beautiful As A Foot is a good song, the title is hysterical.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    I think She's As Beautiful As A Foot is a good song, the title is hysterical.
    I concur. Funny lyrics (in a good way).

Side B's opener "Screams" is really cool, too.