Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Winter Olympics 2022 - Let the Corruption and Cronyism Begin!

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    The latest double standard: Black athlete put on ice after doping charge, white athlete competes
    This is one of the side effects that occur when everything, justified or otherwise, is framed through the lens of identity. Media and social media will soak this story up for a few days because it ticks enough trigger points. However it plays out, it's about the journey not the destination, you know. Facts won't matter, only clicks and comment sections.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    I think the cases are very different. Russian girl is underaged and thus ,legally not responsible for her actions while the American girl is legally fully responsible for her actions. My emphasis is on legality of their action.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    This is one of the side effects that occur when everything, justified or otherwise, is framed through the lens of identity. Media and social media will soak this story up for a few days because it ticks enough trigger points. However it plays out, it's about the journey not the destination, you know. Facts won't matter, only clicks and comment sections.
    I started a “rant” then paused before hitting “Post Quick Reply” as I do a lot more lately these days. Your observation is Exactly what my sentiment is but you stated it so much more eloquently. Thank you. It’s about clicks, eyeballs on screens. Remember the olden days when athletes moved on … like Marc Spitz becoming a dentist….then Bruce Jenner…..oh wait, never mind.
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    For me, I'm loving the games. Where else could Canada be equal to the U.S. in medal counts (hahaha). The downhill racing has been spectacular. The bobsled was cool and I'm watching the figure skating to please my wife. I want to watch Cda and the U.S. in men's hockey (and the women's). The snowboarding has been cool too.
    I have been enjoying a lot of it too. Since I am retired I can catch a lot of the late night and morning stuff live which is fun. After watching the first round robin I put some money on the Men's U.S. team to win it all. They are playing really good hockey right now.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I have been enjoying a lot of it too. Since I am retired I can catch a lot of the late night and morning stuff live which is fun. After watching the first round robin I put some money on the Men's U.S. team to win it all. They are playing really good hockey right now.
    That was a quick end to it…those knock out games are so unpredictable

Quote Originally Posted by Progmatic View Post
    That was a quick end to it…those knock out games are so unpredictable

Yes, single elimination makes it exciting, but like baseball and basketball any team can get hot on a single night.

USA vs Canada Women tonight for the gold.

We watched the figure skating finals. God, that was gut-wrenching to watch those girls (and yeah, they're girls - not women) just break down on camera. The women's final is always a bit dramatic but yeesh, this was off the charts and not in a good way. If I were Kamila's parents I would get her out of Russia and get her to a therapist as soon as possible. I hope the adults in the Russian skating program, especially that coach, burn in a lake of fire.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

^ Indeed.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Yeah, I hope she can recover from that mentally. It was quite brutal to watch.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Best Olympics I ever watched was 1968 in Mexico City as a 10 year old.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    We watched the figure skating finals. God, that was gut-wrenching to watch those girls (and yeah, they're girls - not women) just break down on camera. The women's final is always a bit dramatic but yeesh, this was off the charts and not in a good way. If I were Kamila's parents I would get her out of Russia and get her to a therapist as soon as possible. I hope the adults in the Russian skating program, especially that coach, burn in a lake of fire.
    Agree, caught some of that last night too. Hard to watch for sure. The pressure cooker these kids live in can be just brutal.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Camelogue View Post
    Best Olympics I ever watched was 1968 in Mexico City as a 10 year old.
    For me it was the 1976 Summer Olympics in Montreal and the Women's Gymnastics with Nadia Comăneci and Olga Korbut. I was 13 and in Venice, Italy with my mother. I had a bad ear infection, which sucked, but it caused us to hole up in our very posh hotel room, eating room service and watching the gymnastics. In the daytime, if I felt up to it, I'd go out to the piazza San Marco and feed the pigeons. In the evenings we watched the gymnastics.

On the news I saw that All of the skating medal ceremonies have been called off due to the doping thing.
    That is just sad.
    I guess they just slip the medal under their doors before they leave along with the bill.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

^ Well they definitely had the medal ceremony for the ladies, and I feel like I saw Chen's as well (but I could be wrong, I generally don't watch medal ceremonies).

The Team medal ceremony was postponed until the Russian doping issue was resolved.
    Potentially re-ordering the podium. It currently stands with Russia, USA, Japan, Canada.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Does this qualify as a Darwin Award? He didn't die but he may not be able to reproduce?

https://au.sports.yahoo.com/winter-o...215326702.html

How does one train for a sport and be so woefully unprepared for the elements in which he competes?
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Somehow the second time this has occurred. You think he would be able to take better precautions after the first time.

A popsicle for a wang...

Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Chang Ba View Post
    Somehow the second time this has occurred. You think he would be able to take better precautions after the first time.
    Like putting a sock on it, like the Red Hot Chili Peppers?

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    Very happy for my Norwegian friends!
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"