Thread: Steve Howe - "Collecting Now"

Steve Howe - "Collecting Now"

This is new to me & I love it. Couple of nice TSHA bits too though the ending is abrupt.

Wow, I remember watching that back in 1980-something.

That’s wonderful, I’ve never seen that before, though I do have Steve’s guitar collection book. Thank you for sharing, he comes across very erudite and passionate about his subject. I like how he was formerly of the group Yes, so I imagine this must be in that 80’s period before Union and way before San Luis Obispo?

Quote Originally Posted by Sunlight Caller View Post
    Thatís wonderful, Iíve never seen that before, though I do have Steveís guitar collection book. Thank you for sharing, he comes across very erudite and passionate about his subject. I like how he was formerly of the group Yes, so I imagine this must be in that 80ís period before Union and way before San Luis Obispo?
    It seems to have been shot while he was recording Asia's first album, because the last guitar they look at is the guitar he used in Asia, and he mentions he's recording with it at the time. So I'd guess 1981-early 1982.

Bill

What a lovely walk back in time.

Thank you!

Considering that it was a show about collecting and not just guitars, I'm impressed that the cameraman knew enough to get closeups of Steve's hands.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

That was a very enjoyable watch. Thanks for posting!
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Sunlight Caller View Post
    Thatís wonderful, Iíve never seen that before, though I do have Steveís guitar collection book. Thank you for sharing, he comes across very erudite and passionate about his subject. I like how he was formerly of the group Yes, so I imagine this must be in that 80ís period before Union and way before San Luis Obispo?
    Given that the segment ends with him talking about the ES Artist, I'm guessing this is from 80 or 81, probably around the time of the Steve Howe Album and the very beginning of Asia. It's certainly not from the 90's (otherwise they'd have been talking about things like his Steinberger guitars, the Les Paul with the guitar synth interface and/or his Theo Sharpach guitar).

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Given that the segment ends with him talking about the ES Artist, I'm guessing this is from 80 or 81, probably around the time of the Steve Howe Album and the very beginning of Asia. It's certainly not from the 90's (otherwise they'd have been talking about things like his Steinberger guitars, the Les Paul with the guitar synth interface and/or his Theo Sharpach guitar).
    This is the Post of the Day!!

Please know that I say this with the utmost of respect and affection for you, and for all of us:

We are such guitar and music geeks! Nobody has said something like “he looks so young!, or “his voice sounds so soft and young!” Or, “that hairstyle is obviously from 19XX.” Rather, we all try to date it by the references to “former guitar player for Yes” or because he mentions or doesn’t mention specific guitars.

This is why I like it around here. Every so often, the arguments about Yes or Genesis or Phil C drain away, and I am surrounded only by fellow fans that adore these characters, and the music they make.

And of course, your screen name is perfect for my post!!

Plus he is charming and affable, this ended when he rejoined Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    I did a little more research, and it was as I guessed above. It's looks like this episode of Collecting Now first aired in 1982. There's another Youtube video out there that lists the date (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrvLrxMtaxc). The episode was likely filmed in 1981, since he mentions he's recording with the ES Artist at the moment, and that record was recorded between June and November 1981. So, 1981 - 1982 seems the best guess.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by chescorph View Post
    Plus he is charming and affable, this ended when he rejoined Yes.
    He didn't threaten to kick her in the head even once!
    Celebrating one year of the legendary RATS' ALLEY on CD and LP
    "His best album yet. Mix of Prog, electronica, jazz and experimental." - Amazon review
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-6.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotron View Post
    This is the Post of the Day!!

Please know that I say this with the utmost of respect and affection for you, and for all of us:

We are such guitar and music geeks! Nobody has said something like “he looks so young!, or “his voice sounds so soft and young!” Or, “that hairstyle is obviously from 19XX.” Rather, we all try to date it by the references to “former guitar player for Yes” or because he mentions or doesn’t mention specific guitars.

This is why I like it around here. Every so often, the arguments about Yes or Genesis or Phil C drain away, and I am surrounded only by fellow fans that adore these characters, and the music they make.

And of course, your screen name is perfect for my post!!
    Each of the times I saw Yes, I was playing the "One song are they going to do next" game, based on what guitar Steve switched to. I remember the second time, in summer of 98, I was yelling otu the song titles before each song, and getting all of them right. The guy next to me said, "How do you what they're going to do next?" and I'm like "The only song he uses both the Telecaster and the Coral sitar is Open Your Eyes", and so on.

The third time I saw them, in Cincinnati, on the Ladder tour, I remember they came onstage, and as the Stravinsky is ending, I notice that Steve had his ES-175 strapped on, instead of the ES-345, which made me think "They're not opening with Siberian Khatru this time...I wonder what they're gonna..." and before I could finish the thought, they launched into Yours Is No Disgrace.

In 2004, when I saw them at the Spectrum in Philadelphia, and I remember Steve coming onstage, with no guitar, but he had his Fender steel guitar pulled out, and Squire had his 8 string bass on. And I remember thinking, "Wait, which song has both the steel and 8 string?" and I realized it had to be Going For The One they were starting with. And the guy next to me is like, "What do you think the first song is going to be? Siberian Khatru?" and I'm like "It's going to be Going For The One, I can PROMISE you that's what they're gonna start with", and few moments later, I was proven right, and this guy was liek "How did you know?". And again, it's the only song with both steel guitar and 8 string bass.

But there's a lot of guitarists, particularly the rock guys, who you can date a photo or video footage based on the guitar they're playing. Pete Townshend, Jerry Garcia, Eric Clapton, Eddie Van Halen, etc are all like that. Dr. Brian May, not so much.