Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bill Bruford has launched his own YouTube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by EBES View Post
    I feel like "I'm curating my legacy" isn't a thing you should say about yourself with a straight face though, even if you're a legend...
    Word
    I also got that impression reading his book

smug

Bill posted Rick Beato's breakdown of Roundabout and added this comment:

I enjoy Beato’s analyses; he always seems spot-on even with the over-use of the word ‘incredible’. At the faux-Latin breakdown (14’.06”) - “almost like a samba” - I tracked the three percussion parts: snare drum with snare off (no timbale), cow bell, and two pitched milk bottles two-thirds and half full of water respectively. The tempo of the track accelerates a few bars before and up to the drum fill at 20.27, after which we really dig in. No click-track here.
    https://youtu.be/eeWgz6ObgDI

^Oh man, learning about the milk bottles just made my day.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

I hope he uploads more video of live shows in the future.

Man he's wasted no time getting lots of content up. I'll have to check this out.

I feel like "I'm curating my legacy" isn't a thing you should say about yourself with a straight face though, even if you're a legend...
    YMMV, but for me there is only one Bruford, he can say anything he wants and I am on board.

Quote Originally Posted by fiberman View Post
    YMMV, but for me there is only one Bruford, he can say anything he wants and I am on board.
    Same with Phil, call me a fanboy, but, there are worse things to like.

no kidding
    Sounding so full of himself.

But I'll be keeping the odd eye on it, shoud I choose to subscribe (never done so before)

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I can't wait to add some comments, since he might read them.

"Bill, remember when you were in Yes? That was awesome!!"
    Hang on!!! You played in Genesis too?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by pb2015 View Post
    Let me know when he starts a TikTok channel.

Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    Word

smug

read Broof's comment below the clip
    Last edited by Trane; 01-23-2022 at 06:52 AM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Just played “One of a Kind” from my original vinyl. Haven’t played the vinyl in a long long time and it blew me away not only how good the album is, which I already knew, but in how great the recording is. Certainly one of the highlights of Bills career. I read his book several years ago and I highly recommend it for its insightful and intelligent look at being a musician and the music industry. Wonderful and funny guy. So good to see him still being involved in any way with music even if it’s not behind the kit or recording.

^ vinyl done right is the schnitt. Great recording too.

The great thing about Bill's YT channel is that he's personally involved in deciding what goes up, plus he's writing the descriptions himself. The video of him appearing on a Mexican talk show was awesome!
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    The great thing about Bill's YT channel is that he's personally involved in deciding what goes up, plus he's writing the descriptions himself. The video of him appearing on a Mexican talk show was awesome!
    His playing in the jam at the end was pretty tentative. The pianist is pretty great! Too bad the audio is so lo-fi.

I'm not sure about that. That band is not playing anything easily recognizable.They basically just launched into something to solo over. Bruford found the pulse quickly and at the correct dynamic level. His fours are really nice. He's adding enough to make it interesting while not overpowering. He didn't take the "I'm the guest artist, so I'm going to showboat" approach. That wouldn't be Bruford.

They may or may not have had a run through, but it's not easy to just sit in with a band and make it sound great but I thought Bruford did himself well there.

Bruford occasionally played things a little too straight, sometimes even in his own bands. I don't think he did so there.

When Bill Bruford played in Yes he sounded Classical. His dynamics and his variety of choices to make a specific part sound off! As if each short section he creates for a verse , a chorus, a Steve Howe improvisation...is all up in his noodle and he sounds like a Classical drummer...but...he's playing Jazz. "Yours Is No Disgrace " is a good example of that.

Robert Fripp states in a recorded interview that I have..." Bill Bruford is a Classical drummer frustrated with Jazz" I don't see it that way and when I hear Bruford's playing it sounds like a drummer fusing Classical and Jazz into music. I believe the reason he generally doesn't overplay has to do with his respect for composition.

Billy Cobham is like that on Crosswinds. On his solo his drums are running through a Flanger and the fierce winds are howling..and the drums are telling a story and not showboating. This is the same level of creativity that Bruford produces on Close To The Edge.

The instrumental "Feels Good To Me" features some beautiful creative drumming. The piece tells a story through several breaks and syncopated rhythms. The instrumental has a distinctive melody that is memorable. Bill Bruford paints the piece..just as he always does with whoever he plays with .

Yeah, in some ways I've felt that Bill was a minimalist. His drumming at time could be nakedly sparse, but this also allowed him to employ the maximum range of melody and dynamics. So when the music went down he could be there with it, but when it roared upward he was right there as well. What he rarely did was the sort of fusion fusillades popularized by Collins, Cobham, etc. Steve Howe once remarked how in Yes even Bill was in there contributing melodically. It's hard to do that when the drums are just putting out a blur of noise.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    His playing in the jam at the end was pretty tentative. The pianist is pretty great! Too bad the audio is so lo-fi.
    Pretty nice 12-bar tune like Chick Corea might have played with one of his trios. Bruford seems a little off at times like he had a monitor problem or wasn't positive where the pianist and bassist's "one" were, but does a good job in that style.

Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    Word

smug
    Wow I'm surprised by that.

Smug would be one of the last things I would describe him as - especially with his description of why he decided to retire from music.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    Yeah, in some ways I've felt that Bill was a minimalist. His drumming at time could be nakedly sparse, but this also allowed him to employ the maximum range of melody and dynamics. So when the music went down he could be there with it, but when it roared upward he was right there as well. What he rarely did was the sort of fusion fusillades popularized by Collins, Cobham, etc. Steve Howe once remarked how in Yes even Bill was in there contributing melodically. It's hard to do that when the drums are just putting out a blur of noise.
    That's perfectly correct..yes!!

I rather enjoy his comments and have always found him an interesting character. I like that he was always pushing himself and trying new things. I guess sometimes he can come off a bit snooty in that regard but can also be self-deprecating and has that dry British humor. An interesting batch of videos he's putting up, all with a comment from him.

I wish more artists were into "curating their legacy".

He cracks me up! Especially on the Yes Years documentary where he's says something like..." Well, things have to be exactly right for Mr. maestro Anderson " ....Don't quote me, but it's something like that ( so to speak), and I believe he's often trying to lighten things up.

Picture yourself playing in a band like Yes and if someone in the band were to make a remark like that you'd probably start laughing. In 72' people took that band seriously so it's mainly the irony of it all. Bruford might have a personality where he comes out with sarcastic and laughable remarks. I cannot stress to you how important it is to have a band member that makes the band laugh when you're traveling on the road. The road is horrible. I've heard him make similar remarks in the past. I think he's funny sometimes

Quote Originally Posted by taliesin View Post
    Wow I'm surprised by that.

Smug would be one of the last things I would describe him as - especially with his description of why he decided to retire from music.
    I am also puzzled with this smugness aspect. I think Bruford knows that he was good but at the same time is kind of disappointed the he wasn't even better.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    I am also puzzled with this smugness aspect. I think Bruford knows that he was good but at the same time is kind of disappointed the he wasn't even better.
    I'm inclined to agree. And I never got the feeling he ever thought he was more talented than he actually was.
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar

Here's one (not from Bill's channel) where Bruford is "singing", along with Steve Howe who didn't even play on the record.

So Bruford is not going to create any new content? Just posting old videos and album tracks? Seems kinda lame.