Thread: Favorite guitar tab site?

Favorite guitar tab site?

Hey all,

The title kind of says it. I'm interested in recommendations based upon selection (obviously as a prog rock fan, availability of tabs for the well-known bands in the genre would be great - I also like post rock a lot), accuracy, value, format, other features, whatever makes it a good site for you. I'm getting back into acoustic guitar after not playing much at all for years so I'm considering myself perhaps an intermediate beginner in terms of current skill/technique.

Thanks in advance!
    ~Doug

I can't say I have a favorite. I just Google, "{song} chords lyrics" and whatever pops up is typically good enough for me. www.tabs.ultimate-guitar.com is nice because you can transpose the song and it changes all the chords for you. I get a lot of stuff off that site, but I know I've used others. It sort of depends on the song you're looking for. With Jethro Tull, for example, there are some sties that focus on deeper cuts that the typical tab sites don't have. So, I find it best to look by song and see what's out there. Youtube can also be really helpful.

Bill

^^ Or another method, Google {song} followed by "tab." Then from among the results, choose the one you find most suitable. Like Youtube videos, the quality of the tab depends entirely on who specifically created and posted it. Some of those people are frankly are out of their minds.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Thanks, both of you - I guess it makes sense that the authors of the tab determines the quality more than the particular site it's posted on!

Quote Originally Posted by prog_frog View Post
    Thanks, both of you - I guess it makes sense that the authors of the tab determines the quality more than the particular site it's posted on!
    Totally correct. Often, these sites may have multiple tabs of the same song by different authors. This can be helpful if a particular tab is generally good, but missing some detail another tab contains. It requires a bit of poking around, but you can usually find enough to get a good head-start. This is why I think it's good to do a more general search and see what comes up on a variety of sites, then dig down from there.

Searching that way might also uncover tabs on sites that are not strictly devoted to tabs, like a band's wesbite, or a fan site devoted to a particular band or style. I've found tons of Prog tabs on sites like this that don't appear on Ultimate Guitar or other big tab sites, or appear in better quality on the fan sites. So, it's worth casting a wide net and looking at several to get what you're after.

Bill

As a fellow prog rock enthusiast, I totally get your excitement about finding the right guitar tab site. When it comes to accuracy and a diverse selection, the ultimate guitar webpage is a solid choice. They have a wide range of tabs, including for prog and post rock bands. It's a great platform for guitarists of all skill levels, and their user-friendly format makes learning new tunes a breeze. By the way, have you ever tried using metal guitar picks from https://ironageaccessories.com/blogs/iron-age-general-blog/mеtal-guitar-picks? They can add a unique touch to your acoustic playing.
    Last edited by albertvadas; 08-18-2023 at 06:37 AM.