Thread: Hobson's Choice - New Horizons

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar

Hobson's Choice - New Horizons

If you don't know this one-shot band's album from 1996, chances are you'll like it. If you already know it, or once you've listened, share your thoughts. I don't want to color your impressions with any comparisons.

Primary procreation is accomplished…

That overall cover art looks different than my CD. Maybe the picture is the same, but mine is on a white background. Too lazy to go pull it from the collection to check.

I seem to recall liking it. Sort of a symphonic-fusion type thing, iirc. Also I think there was a loose connection to Woodenhead, that had an album on Laser's Edge about 20 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe F. View Post
    That overall cover art looks different than my CD. Maybe the picture is the same, but mine is on a white background. Too lazy to go pull it from the collection to check.

I seem to recall liking it. Sort of a symphonic-fusion type thing, iirc. Also I think there was a loose connection to Woodenhead, that had an album on Laser's Edge about 20 years ago.
    Yes, the cover art got a bit of a rehaul, at least for Bandcamp. And Jim(?) Robinson of Woodenhead gets a shout out in the credits. Your memory is intact!

Thanks for starting this thread. Didn't know the band and after listening to some of their stuff on Bandcamp I bought the CD from on of the Discogs-sellers.

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    Thanks for starting this thread. Didn't know the band and after listening to some of their stuff on Bandcamp I bought the CD from on of the Discogs-sellers.
    I had a feeling some who would like this were missing out!

Been in my collection for years.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Yes, the cover art got a bit of a rehaul, at least for Bandcamp. And Jim(?) Robinson of Woodenhead gets a shout out in the credits. Your memory is intact!
    And Woodenhead's drummer Mark Whitaker is credited for playing percussion.
    As you can see the CD finally arrived. I like it. Reminds me a bit of Iluvatar, while the Mellotron sometimes has the same sound as on Crack The Sky's Safety In Numbers.
    I would describe it as a 90's version of Yes/Genesis, but this is certainly no tribute-band.
    Thanks again for bringing this up.