Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Alex Lifeson's Envy Of None - debut single

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    And yeah, Alex, I no longer believe you were against Rush using all those keys in the eighties.
    People are allowed to change their minds, you know.

I thought the track was decent, and I liked the bridge. Zero good ideas? Not sure I'd agree with that...

I'm curious to hear the whole record and see how this tune fits into the overall thing. Context is important.

Someone mentioned the band Garbage, and the comparison seems apt. I like some of Garbage's music.

I'll be checking this out once the album is released.
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

Quote Originally Posted by jamesmanzi View Post
    Why are there so many positive comments on YouTube? Are they fake comments? Is the band deleting all the negative comments?

Just curious.
    This song is perhaps a little too, shall we say, "modern-sounding" for some folks. I love this place, but I would not in a million years expect this tune to get a warm reception on PE. It is what it is.

Why are there so many positive comments on YouTube? Are they fake comments? Is the band deleting all the negative comments?

Just curious.
    It seemed many of the commenters were fans of the singer
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    It seemed many of the commenters were fans of the singer
    Which means... what exactly?

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    This song is perhaps a little too, shall we say, "modern-sounding" for some folks. I love this place, but I would not in a million years expect this tune to get a warm reception on PE. It is what it is.
    I can't think of anything to add that doesn't sound like snark for the sake of snark, so I'll just nod in agreement.

Just curious.
    I have absolutely no idea. Why biggest hits nowadays are so crap? Who knows? Who cares?
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    I have absolutely no idea. Why biggest hits nowadays are so crap? Who knows? Who cares?
    Maybe, now hear me out here, just spitballing this but I'll give it a try...

Maybe your opinion isn't objective fact.

Nice post rock! Not unexpected to get something unexpected from AL! I agree with the references to SW above and AL has always the air of the same relentlessness as SW, though not to the same extent. Regarding the playing - some nice guitar textures from the master of that art and I hope that develops more in the album.
    My Progressive Workshop at http://soundcloud.com/hfxx

Maybe, now hear me out here, just spitballing this but I'll give it a try...

Maybe your opinion isn't objective fact.
    And you think that it is objective fact that people who don't love this song are somehow butt-hurt about it?

And you think that it is objective fact that people who don't love this song are somehow butt-hurt about it?
    Where have I said that? Where have I said anything like that?

Dude, please tell me you can do better than "I know you are but what am I?"

Where have I said that? Where have I said anything like that?

Dude, please tell me you can do better than "I know you are but what am I?"
    No, you did not say it but you striked me with that puzzling YouTube question after I commented about butt-hurt theory. It kind of felt that you are one of the butt-hurt-people. Sorry If I misread you.

It is kind of funny that some like to think that other people are disliking this song for some mysterious WRONG reasons and not just because they don't find anything interesting about it.

No, you did not say it but you striked me with that puzzling YouTube question after I commented about butt-hurt theory. It kind of felt that you are one of the butt-hurt-people. Sorry If I misread you.

It is kind of funny that some like to think that other people are disliking this song for some mysterious WRONG reasons and not just because they don't find anything interesting about it.
    Honestly, I'm not discussing the song at all. I'm talking about the penchant people in general have for trying to give their opinion weight by stating it as if it were fact.

There is a difference between "I don't like this song" and "this song is bad."

While one can infer the former from the latter, in conversational terms, the former invites conversation and allows for different opinions. The latter... doesn't invite discussion at all, and implies that anyone with a different opinion is wrong. And yeah, people tend to get butt-hurt when told they are wrong to like something.

Honestly, I'm not discussing the song at all. I'm talking about the penchant people in general have for trying to give their opinion weight by stating it as if it were fact.

While one can infer the former from the latter, in conversational terms, the former invites conversation and allows for different opinions. The latter... doesn't invite discussion at all, and implies that anyone with a different opinion is wrong. And yeah, people tend to get butt-hurt when told they are wrong to like something.
    I understand. What about my original comment where I thought that song has absolutely no good ideas? Is that acceptable?

I understand. What about my original comment where I thought that song has absolutely no good ideas? Is that acceptable?
    Would be acceptable, sure. If you said "I think this song has absolutely no good ideas" or "I can find no good ideas in this song" or any number of variations, there would be an acknowledgement that you don't like anything going on in the song, but someone else might find some good ideas in their opinion. But that's not what you said.

You said "This song has exactly zero amount of good ideas." An absolute statement.

Would be acceptable, sure. If you said "I think this song has absolutely no good ideas" or "I can find no good ideas in this song" or any number of variations, there would be an acknowledgement that you don't like anything going on in the song, but someone else might find some good ideas in their opinion. But that's not what you said.

You said "This song has exactly zero amount of good ideas." An absolute statement.
    I kind of take it as given that everyone here is sharing their opinions and not facts. I guess I am wrong.

This whole back and forth is why Steve F. has 'please add 'imo' wherever you like' as one of his sigs.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk

I kind of take it as given that everyone here is sharing their opinions and not facts. I guess I am wrong.
    Does this not resonate with you at all?

While one can infer the former from the latter, in conversational terms, the former invites conversation and allows for different opinions. The latter... doesn't invite discussion at all, and implies that anyone with a different opinion is wrong.

Words mean things and people will react to the ones you use. Of course "this song is bad" is an opinion. The quality of music is subjective, that's a given.

But when someone enters a conversation with "This song has exactly zero amount of good ideas" the implication is that there's no discussion to be had, they've not only made their judgement, but their judgment is objectively correct. Why would anyone engage if they didn't agree? (They won't, and that's the reason people state their opinions as facts - to forestall opposing opinions).

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    This whole back and forth is why Steve F. has 'please add 'imo' wherever you like' as one of his sigs.

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Really glad you noticed.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

Does this not resonate with you at all?
    Not really. Sorry.

I'm listening to the track for the 5th or 6th time rn, I love all the good ideas in it. The simple groove that drives the song forward. The complex drum pattern at the top that gives way to the simpler pattern that carries the song. The dichotomy between the growling groove and the lilting vocals. The chromatic descent near the end of the chorus. The chunky rhythm guitars. The chaotic guitars deep in the mix that lend texture and atmosphere without overtaking things. The drop where the acoustic guitars take over leading to the outro. Just the general idea that it's current, there's an awareness of where music is now and it settles right in.

Not really. Sorry.

No need to apologize. If you don't see a need to discuss subjective matters in subjective terms that's cool. You'll always be right and no one will need to engage with you, so win win.

I'm listening to the track for the 5th or 6th time rn, I love all the good ideas in it. The simple groove that drives the song forward. The complex drum pattern at the top that gives way to the simpler pattern that carries the song. The dichotomy between the growling groove and the lilting vocals. The chromatic descent near the end of the chorus. The chunky rhythm guitars. The chaotic guitars deep in the mix that lend texture and atmosphere without overtaking things. The drop where the acoustic guitars take over leading to the outro. Just the general idea that it's current, there's an awareness of where music is now and it settles right in.
    The song has exactly 8 good ideas in it

Seriously tho, I hear a lot of sound references to pop/indie music from 20 years ago, I wouldn't compare it to any current pop music (of which I don't find much redeeming). This song is simple on the surface but has lots of layers to it.
    -noisynoise
    www.polarizedguru.com - 5-piece jazz fusion group
    www.incandescentsky.com - inventive improvisational instrumental ensemble

Just curious.
    Because some people like things that I don't like and vice versa.
    No matter what anyone says, you are the decider of how you will listen to music.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post

I'm offended that you think I'm offended.