Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Alex Lifeson's Envy Of None - debut single

Alex Lifeson's Envy Of None - debut single

Thoughts?

Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Umm...it would have been nice to know that the band has a good guitarist. Unfortunately there was nothing in that which suggested they do. I feel like we've had to say this a lot recently, but hopefully that's nowhere near the best song on the album!

Then again, based on this song the band lives up to its name.

As Uncle Roger would say ... "Not bad, Not bad"
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

This song has exactly zero amount of good ideas.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Thoughts?
    Well....

It seems consistent with the types of things we've heard from Alex since Rush retired, and I knew that whatever he and/or Geddy did would deliberately not sound like Rush, but this doesn't really do much for me. It's not bad, but I would have preferred something that featured Alex and his guitar more.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Love it! Expecting Lifeson to recreate anything Rush-like is madness. He didn't with Victor and I give him a ton of credit for stretching himself and not resting on his laurels so-to-speak. Anybody that knows him knows he's a killer and horribly under rated guitarist, and to put out something like this takes some balls. He has nothing to prove.
    Release the hounds....

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gpeccary View Post
    Love it! Expecting Lifeson to recreate anything Rush-like is madness. He didn't with Victor and I give him a ton of credit for stretching himself and not resting on his laurels so-to-speak. Anybody that knows him knows he's a killer and horribly under rated guitarist, and to put out something like this takes some balls. He has nothing to prove.
    Release the hounds....
    I don't expect it to sound at all like Rush, but I do sort of want it to sound like Lifeson playing guitar. Either that or just be a really good song, but this is neither a really good song or sounds like Lifeson playing, IMO, so no reason I'd listen to it again. I still hope it does well for him.

The song did nothing for me. Not really my thing.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I don't expect it to sound at all like Rush, but I do sort of want it to sound like Lifeson playing guitar. Either that or just be a really good song, but this is neither a really good song or sounds like Lifeson playing, IMO, so no reason I'd listen to it again. I still hope it does well for him.
    Took the words out of my mouth. I don't care who's playing in the band, this is not as song that holds any interest for me.

Bill

If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

I'd rather listen to Evanesence or Within Temptation or something that is similar but better. I suppose this is ok though but definitely not what I would want or expect from Alex.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    I kind of expected this based on the more ethereal songs he recently put on his website. Even in recent interview he said he was playing with sounds, etc. The song to me is okay. The voice is nice, but the song doesn't really go anywhere. Alex is such a creative guy. I was hoping that he would be a bit more avant garde and guitar-centric, but we have also only heard one song so far.
    Chad

Not horrible but not what I'm into.

Ha ha ha ha. Everyone's complaining but to me it sounds like Steven Wilson at his dreariest - only with female vocals.

And yeah, Alex, I no longer believe you were against Rush using all those keys in the eighties.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Quote Originally Posted by gpeccary View Post
    Love it! Expecting Lifeson to recreate anything Rush-like is madness. He didn't with Victor
    And THAT seriously was a mistake. Victor was horrible. It had maybe three good songs and a lot of crap.

I had higher hopes for this but now disappointed. Certainly I don't see how anyone could recognise anything remotely Lifesonesque in this...more like indie rock which doesn't do much for me sadly.

It's OK, if a tad more industrial than I'd like. That rhythm section (probably electronic,) sounds like a thin sheet of metal after being struck. I'm not in, but I'm not out either.

Not bad. I'm willing to give the disc the benefit of the doubt. Personally, I'm glad it sounds nothing like Rush and even nothing like Lifeson. That's what solo work should be - something different than the ideas you brought to your main band.
    "I want to be someone, who someone would want to be." Marillion

Quote Originally Posted by Polska View Post
    Not bad. I'm willing to give the disc the benefit of the doubt. Personally, I'm glad it sounds nothing like Rush and even nothing like Lifeson. That's what solo work should be - something different than the ideas you brought to your main band.
    I don't mind at all that it is different than Rush but this song just was sadly very very bland.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    FWIW, here’s a good summary from Burning Shed’s site…

Envy Of None is the thrilling and inventive self-titled debut album from the new band featuring guitar legend Alex Lifeson (Rush) alongside Andy Curran (Coney Hatch), Alfio Annibalini and singer Maiah Wynne.

Special edition featuring blue LP, 2CDs - the second disc includes bonus tracks, remixes and instrumental - and a 28 page book (with lyrics and track-by-track song guide by the band).

---------

Creating an ambient, cinematic and dark sound, EON evokes a powerful atmosphere that will excite superfans and new audiences alike.

Lifeson and Curran’s longtime friendship was the catalyst for the bands inception - but Envy Of None is not defined by its members resumes - they aren’t Rush or Coney Hatch and far more than the sum of its collective parts.

Above the beautiful cacophony of guitars, synths, bass and drums sits the fragile melodies of 24-year old vocalist Maiah Wynne - the newest name in Envy Of None’s impressive personnel. Hearing Mariah’s voice intertwined with the music will bring back memories of when you heard Shirley Manson of Garbage or Amy Lee of Evanescence for the first time. Wynne brings charm and beauty to these recordings in spades - with floating hooks and emotive lyrics transcending the oftentimes textural aesthetic.

The Storm Thorgerson-esque visuals that grace the cover may remind fans of Lifeson’s earlier work - Andy Curran explains: “[the] Hypnosis style artwork of albums like Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin and others were so eye catching, surreal and attention grabbing and we wanted to scratch that itch. We were instantly drawn to Lebanese photographer Eli Rezkallah at Plastik’s photography and design work. We fell in love with a bunch of his work - we had a hard time choosing something because he had so many great images”.

However, the 1970s prog/Rush comparisons may end with the artwork - the music that this ensemble creates treads new ground with each track throughout its 42 minute debut, from industrial/electronic influences to post-progressive soundscapes. Envy Of None create a sound that will haunt, comfort and ignite.

"Picture maybe Massive Attack with a little bit of some electronic stuff with Nine Inch Nails influences, with this beautiful, fragile, sweet voice and some very, very dark heavy sounds." - Andy Curran (Envy Of None)

I like it. It has a Garbage vibe, and I love that band. Hats off to old Lerxst for not pandering to fans that want him to keep doing Rush-style stuff forever (That's not a dig at anyone here).

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    And THAT seriously was a mistake. Victor was horrible. It had maybe three good songs and a lot of crap.
    Your opinion. Victor's great. You get hard-hitting rock songs (one with Dalbello, even) with the right blend of retro and modern, and some spiffy instrumentals. Maybe you put Haywire in the carousel by accident.

to me it sounds like Steven Wilson at his dreariest - only with female vocals.
    I thought this also when I listened to it. I know that he is a big fan.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    Your opinion. Victor's great. You get hard-hitting rock songs (one with Dalbello, even) with the right blend of retro and modern, and some spiffy instrumentals. Maybe you put Haywire in the carousel by accident.
    If I hadn't already sold my copy, I'd have been glad to give you a second one. As long as it makes someone happy.

If I hadn't already sold my copy, I'd have been glad to give you a second one. As long as it makes someone happy.
    I'd promptly thank you and decline your generous offer because Alex is supposed to release a new remix/remaster.