Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Your all time favorite concert.

Jethro Tull at the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion, Los Angeles, CA, January 16, 1977. Third row center seating.
    Last edited by snicolette; 1 Week Ago at 12:37 AM.
    "Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp

https://tomkelly1.bandcamp.com/

That must have been really good!!

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Man, I am soooo jealous. I didn't get to see them until the 40th Anniversary tour, despite being a huge fan since 1989 or so. And I had to go from Ohio to Chicago to see that. They did a US tour in the late 90s that comprised Massachusetts, Connecticut, Rhode Island, and maybe a New York or Pennsylvania date.SMH.
    Wow.. you are a devoted fan! Must have been a great show

@ Enidi: It was unforgettable. We spent a night in line, we were within the first 10 people at the venue box office. A janitor came by around 6AM and quipped, "Who's coming, Jesus?" Ian would have no doubt gotten a kick out of that. They were personally invited to play at the venue by Dorothy Chandler herself. It was a spectacular show.
    Last edited by snicolette; 1 Week Ago at 01:18 AM. Reason: Not used to how site works yet. Will use quote next time.
    "Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp

https://tomkelly1.bandcamp.com/

I've been to hundreds, maybe even thousands of shows. There's too many to count. The two times Magma played NEARfest, would probably be in the top ten. The first especially, since I had heard they were playing a "new" piece that actually dated back to the mid 70's, but had never been recorded. What I didn't know was, it was a full LP length composition, so I was totally unprepared for K-A when they dropped it on us. And then after they're done playing that, I'm just like, "Wait, what just happened? Did someone get the license plate # of that Mack truck?!", scooping my brains up off the floor, and I hear a voice from the aisle calling my name. I look over, and it's my friend Rhea. She and her husband Roy had patron seats that year, so they were way in the front of the audience. She says, "The seats next to us are empty!". So as Stella's giving the announcement about what we'd just heard, Rhea and I are scurrying down to the aisle to where she and Roy were sitting, getting just as MDK started. As the jiving talking witness in Airplane II: The Sequel says, "I mean, shit!" Then they did it to us the next time with E-R (and that time, they also played Lïhns and Kobah as the encores, so I've now seen them play ALL of the music from Live/Hhaï, albeit not all in the same concert).

The other one that I keep coming back to is The Other Ones, just before Thanksgiving 2003, specifically Robert Hunter's set during the intermission. He ended his set with Ripple, and I'm positive he and I made eye contact as I sang along during the first verse.

Quote Originally Posted by jrw View Post
    Yes 1979 in the round
    I believe that's three of us now.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    I believe that's three of us now.

Bill
    The first—78–might have been even better. I first saw the “In the round” in the fall of 78 at ASU in Arizona. Then, it was the next year at MSG. The smaller crowd/venue (but not by much) in AZ was a bit more respectful than in NYC. But all the “In the Round” shows were great. Howe and Squire were on fire.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotron View Post
    The first—78–might have been even better.
    It's possible. Surely the Wembley shows from October 78 show the band at the top of their game. I've heard great recordings from this entire period, though. I have a nice CD from their show in Vancouver in May 1979. It's not as good as Wembley, but it's pretty damned good.

Bill

The eons are closing
    My fave live Awaken (that I have) is Quebec 1979 - so yeah, they wuz en fuego.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    No one plans to take the path that brings you lower

Quote Originally Posted by snicolette View Post
    @ Enidi: It was unforgettable. We spent a night in line, we were within the first 10 people at the venue box office. A janitor came by around 6AM and quipped, "Who's coming, Jesus?" Ian would have no doubt gotten a kick out of that. They were personally invited to play at the venue by Dorothy Chandler herself. It was a spectacular show.
    Wow!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Enidi View Post
    Wow.. you are a devoted fan! Must have been a great show
    Well, it was a great show, but probably not as great as the one you saw supporting the Time album, which is my favorite of the latter day Steeleye albums.

Kayak in Leiderdorp, 1973 (I think).
    Wasn't a big fan before and loved them after the concert. Besides I knew I wanted to play keyboards from that moment

Eela Craig - Congresgebouw Den Haag, after they had released Virgin Oiland. I was flabbergasted when I saw this concert anounced. Bought a ticket the next day and they played for a very small audience of people, who almost all seemed to know eachother. The owner of a recordstore in Den Haag scored a T-shirt, with the line-out of Bruckner, which can be seen on Missa Universalis from a band member.

YES-Ubion Tour- Crap album but brilliant tour. Never seen better and that includes almost every major band out there!

Peter Gabriel on Halloween night 1982 in the gymnasium of Livingston College on the Rutgers University campus in New Jersey. The band entered playing drums, from the back of the gym, through the crowd. It was hot in there, sitting crammed on wooden bleachers. Gabriel blew my mind that night. I think the band was Fast, Rhodes, Levin & Marotta.

Close second: Genesis on the Duke tour in 1980 at the Capitol Theater in Passaic, NJ, a 3,200 seat theater. We were about 15 rows from the stage. I went the next night at MSG in NYC and it appeared as if they used the same lights/effects in the Capitol as in the arena show. Spectacular.
    No matter how corrupt, greedy, and heartless our government, our corporations, our media, and our religious and charitable institutions may become, the music will still be wonderful. - Kurt Vonnegut

For sheer spectacle, Pink Floyd at Sullivan Stadium in Foxboro, MA 1988 (saw them in 1994 too but have fonder memories of '88). Also Rush around 1990 put on a great show.

In much smaller venues, Marillion in 1992 at Toad's Place, New Haven, CT. It was the 10th Anniversary tour and as I was only 22 at the time, that seemed like forever. Also, seeing Par Lindh Project at a bar in Manchester, NH around 1998ish. There were probably 50 people there, tops. Par Lindh was extremely friendly and we chatted for quite a while at the bar. Magdalena Hagberg was very nice too, but also pretty shy.

Milton Nascimento & band, Summer 1990, the big shed outside Detroit. Incredible material, virtuoso musicians, dynamic performers. I left that show in a state of rapture that lasted several days.

Fortunately they filmed Montreal from a week or so before. I'm feeling a little rapturous right now, if that's a word, just from watching it on YT.

After a lifetime of great concerts, it is quite a difficult call but for me it has been and will always be: GENESIS -The LAMB Lies Down on Broadway TOUR 1974 - MONTREAL FORUM December 15, 1974

This show was way ahead of its time, the slideshow, the stage production, Peter Gabriel costumes and vocals (The Lamia, Colony of the slippermen, so much more) and the playing by the band, absolutely incredible and astounding. I was only 16 years at the time and very impressionable, this sure did it! I can name 50 more but this one left an indelible mark in my music life.

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/genes...-13df5db5.html
    Keith Emerson - Bayou place May 2010 - Tribute Concert El Rey Los Angeles May 2016
    Pink Floyd - Olympic Stadium, July 77 - Yankee Stadium, NY Jun 94
    Jethro Tull - Montreal Forum, Jun 73 - LA Forum, Nov 78
    Rush - Montreal Forum, July 84 - Toyota Ctr, Houston, TX May 2015
    Genesis - Montreal Forum, December 74 - Pepsi Arena, Denver Oct 2007
    King Crimson - Spectrum Montreal, July 84 - Videotron Ctr Quebec July 2017
    UK & IQ at Progstock Festival - UCPAC Center - Rahway NJ - Oct 2018-19

Close call for #2 between Genesis 1982 and John McLaughlin Trio 1988, both at Saratoga Performing Arts Center. But the best was King Crimson at The Egg, 9/9/17. The second set was close to perfect, even Robert Fripp said it was a good one:
    Indiscipline
    Cirkus
    Lizard
    Fallen Angel
    Epitaph
    Larks' Tongues in Aspic, Part One
    Larks' Tongues in Aspic, Part Two
    Starless
    21st Century Schizoid Man

It is hugely easier for me to list disappointing concerts than to list best. Best stretch into at least a hundred. Disappointing stretch into a few dozen.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    It is hugely easier for me to list disappointing concerts than to list best. Best stretch into at least a hundred. Disappointing stretch into a few dozen.
    Many many more great concerts than bad ones for me.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Cardiacs Woolwich Tramshed 1989

Quote Originally Posted by Kieranfunzig View Post
    Cardiacs Woolwich Tramshed 1989
    JEALOUS
    Artist formerly known as Phlakaton

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    Same here. I have had very few bad concert experiences over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Same here. I have had very few bad concert experiences over the years.
    and I bet that they weren't even the same concerts as me!!

Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.