Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Your all time favorite concert.

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    Cardiacs in Paradiso, Amsterdam 1988.

At the time of the concert I had heared Cardiacs but honestly was not too sure whether I liked them or not. After the concert they were my favorite band. Over 30 years later they still are.
    I wish!
    Artist formerly known as Phlakaton

At the time of the concert I had heared Cardiacs but honestly was not too sure whether I liked them or not. After the concert they were my favorite band. Over 30 years later they still are.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Sounds like quite a formative experience. I'm jelly, as the kids these days would say.
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar

Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    At least I've had the pleasure of watching a cool video of one of the other shows from that tour across the water - some of that flashes about in the Mare's Nest video on youtube - great footage I hope one day comes out somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunchentootz View Post
    At least I've had the pleasure of watching a cool video of one of the other shows from that tour across the water - some of that flashes about in the Mare's Nest video on youtube - great footage I hope one day comes out somehow.
    I didn't check the YouTube video, but... from this perhaps?

https://www.discogs.com/release/4861...Is-A-Maresnest

Queen and Thin Lizzy February 1977...Dallas

Quote Originally Posted by Johnkil View Post
    Wow! A lot of great memories and stories here! This is what makes this place so wonderful!

For me, it was Steve Hackett at The Bottom Line in NYC in August 1992. What a great venue that was! I had been a complete Hackett fanboy for over ten years at that point but had never seen him live. I had a ticket for the early show and stood at the bar. Most of what he played had yet to be released. A lot of it would be on Guitar Noir released a year later. I was totally knocked out by it and bought a ticket for the late show. This time I got a seat at a table right in front of the stage. His band was incredibly tight and they did a great version of In That Quiet Earth in both shows. No light show, no lasers, no special effects. Just Steve and his band playing like there was no tomorrow - acoustic as well as electric.
    Side note - there was a camera crew there that filmed both shows and there was an announcement before both shows that it was being filmed for Japanese TV. The part that got some laughs was when it was announced that if you didn't wish to be on Japanese TV that you could go to the ticket window and get a full refund and then get out. I've never been able to find any of that footage (if it exists out there in cyberpace somewhere).

I've seen Steve many times over the last 30 years and all his shows have been great but that night was fantastic! A friend who was at the first show with me said that he didn't know any songs but it was amazing.
    Found this on Youtube to premier January 22. Also the late show, of superior quality, will premier in Feb. Both pro-shot.

So some of us have a dozen or more favorites?

My few stand but a couple of runners-up:

Berkeley Community Theater, 23 September 1979 -- Elton John, "Back In The USSA" tour. Shortly after performing pretty much the same set in Moscow. He did two sets. The first was completely alone, in front of the curtain, and made me realize just what an amazing piano player he really is. As the lights went down for the second set, the synthesizer opening to "Funeral for a Friend" came over the speakers. As Elton came out to play his part, the curtains opened revealing -- massive amounts of percussion equipment, and a man who looked like an undertaker: Ray Cooper, who is as good on percussion as anyone I've ever seen.

The Fillmore, 20 Oct 2000 -- King Crimson. Of the five times I've seen the King, this was, for me, the most intense. I was there without any friends, and scored a spot so near the stage that at one point Adrian's sweat sprayed on me. I didn't mind. It's one of the few shows of any sort where I found myself actively dancing to the music, ending the night exhausted and clutching what is still my only Fillmore poster, and still hangs inside the door to my office.

Berkeley Community Theater, late 1977 -- Nektar, the "Magic Is a Child" tour. There was a lot going against this. By my memory, there were two opening bands, CIty Boy (who were at least entertaining) and Lake (who bored me to tears). Furthermore, there was no Roye Albrighton. The MIaC album got a lot of slagging from the faithful, but I found it a fresh departure from the ponderousness of their previous albums (mind you, Recycled is still one of my favorite albums of all time...), and the show was very fresh indeed. At times, I thought Dave Nelson struggled valiently to keep up with some of Roye's guitar lines, but overall I had a great time.

Oakland Colisseum, October 9, 1976 -- The Who. Oh, and also the Grateful Dead, but for me it was all about the Who; I had not yet gotten "into" the Dead (and I never really fell under their spell). But this was the last concert I ever attended with my high-school girlfriend. (Less than a year later, I was married to the woman I'm still married to to this day. She was at this show too, but I hadn't met her yet...) It was also the only time I saw Keith Moon live. The setlist was a little stale; they played only two songs from the then-new-ish By Numbers, and I'm afraid that "by numbers" is exactly how Pete Townshend seemed to be doing things. But from where we stood, a bit to the left and about a third of the way back on the field, I could hear the rhythm section perfectly. John Entwistle -- whose 33rd birthday it was, and Roger led us all in "Happy Birthday" -- was amazing, and Moonie was, well, Moonie. I'm told that he was already falling apart by this time, but I couldn't hear it. As for the Grateful Dead...well, they were loud, and the only song they played that I'd ever heard before was their encore, "U.S. Blues." I kind of wish I could see their set again with what I know now...it's probably on SugarMegs or somesuch; I should check it out.
    If a bird can speak, who once was a dinosaur,
    and a dog can dream
    should it be impossible
    that a man might supervise the construction of light?

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I didn't check the YouTube video, but... from this perhaps?

https://www.discogs.com/release/4861...Is-A-Maresnest
    nope - it was a show with Timmy wearing a button down shirt no less. almost tropical now that I think about it. The outdoor open air stage show.

That's my friend Lynda with the black hair driving and skipping about - she dated Tim at that time for a while. She showed this show to me. Lovely woman.
    Last edited by Hunchentootz; 2 Weeks Ago at 11:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    The one and only Genesis concert I saw in 1992 at Dodger Stadium in L.A. was utterly magical. Amazing performances, fantastic staging and effects, and an overall musical chemistry that I'll never forget. I was far from the stage but I felt like it didn't matter, the music just pushed my buttons so well that night.
    Dodger Stadium is awesome... what a great place to see a game and now the 3rd oldest stadium in baseball I believe. Now I must admit baseball/football stadiums are not the best places to see concerts but you are correct... that night at Dodger Stadium was magical. I've seen Genesis quite a few times, twice in L.A., Dodger Stadium and the Hollywood Bowl, the last 2007 show not the night of the downpour! Two of my best concert memories.

A few others, Yes 77 and 78. Loved the stage setups. Return to Forever 2008... never thought I'd see these guys together again. Camel RAH 2 or 3 years ago. Believe it or not The Musical Box at Massey hall early 90's. I started seeing Genesis on the Trick tour and always regretted missing the Lamb... this made up for that! Supertramp 75 and 79... Quadrophenia 96/97, killer show. Di Meola, McGlaughlin and De lucia, Genesis 78 mirrors, 82 the first vari lite tour at the Berkeley Greek Theater, and DC a few months ago... never thought I'd see Genesis again, a great send off.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunchentootz View Post

That's my friend Lynda with the black hair driving and skipping about - she dated Tim at that time for a while. She showed this show to me. Lovely woman.
    That's great

Quote Originally Posted by Wah3 View Post
    Was that at Charity's in Clifton Park 10/6/95? I have a recording but only on cassette tape and it's flawed by dropouts as the jack on my friends DAT was acting up. Think that's the show where I smoked some dope with David Goldblatt out back. Scott came by and David offered him a hit, but Scott declined, saying he really wanted to go all out that night.
    That totally sounds like it, but I remember Kinsey being in the band, not Goldblatt. Or was he just there? I will confirm from my pal who went with me, and he's from Glens Falls so he'll remember where this gig was.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I didn't provide an example of my favourites because it covers so many years since I was a youth. I also see lots of reference to 70s shows. Can you really remember these shows in any detail after 40 years? I think the point of the thread is not to list all the concerts you've seen in the past but your favourites. If I thought hard about it (upon reflection), I could likely come up with a list. Nearfest provided me with countless examples of excellent shows.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound.

The great prog bands were all either broken up or far from their glory days when I came of concert-going age, and for various financial and situational reasons I couldn't really go to concerts with any regularity until about ten years ago, but I think the absolute best time I've had at a show was seeing a psychedelic indie-rock group called the Entrance Band at a tiny club in LA in late 2021. Not because it was the band I liked the most or the most astounding musicianship but because it was the first time I'd been to a great concert since Covid, something I'd been unsure when if ever be able to do again, so it was probably the show I was the happiest and most relieved to be able to attend.

Maybe I should add;

At the time of the concert I had seen pictures of Sarah but I was not sure whether she was sexy or not. After the concert I had a major crush on her. Over 30 years later I still have

After the concert I had a major crush on her. Over 30 years later I still have
    Well that’s understandable I think. She’s quite cute, and a talented musician on top of that.

Wish I could have seen Cardiacs back in the day. Somehow I hadn’t realized they were your favorite band, so it’s really cool that you got to see them live. That’s a kind of experience.
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

Sarah on a worm.

Steeleye Span 1990 at TLA or Chestnut Cabaret ,..I don't remember. They had just released Time. The band was fronted by Maddy Prior and Gay Woods. They were both phenomenal and Peter Knight played some amazing solos. The entire band was amazing and Maddy danced a fast Jig ..entering the audience and dancing before us...next to us...and creating the soul of ole' Ireland.

After the show ...about 10 of us stood outside waiting by the Steeleye Span tour bus to ask for autographs. The first member to walk out was Gay Woods. She wore a black hooded cloak and walked quickly to the bus avoiding us completely. She looked really mysterious.

Then Bob Johnson walked out and stood around us. I asked him about Rocket Cottage and how difficult it is to obtain it. He said: "Well if it's that difficult to find then it must have not been a very good album " At this point I'm holding back laughter.

Then Maddy Prior walked out of the theater greeting us all. She started signing LP's and cds ...answering questions ...She looked at me and said.."Is there something you'd like to ask me?" ...and so I asked her if she enjoyed working with Mike Oldfield on the Incantations album. She said..."Yes! Mike is an interesting person and very talented..and yes I liked that project"

As she spoke to me...we made normal eye contact. She had teardrop eyes that told a story. Then this guy abruptly spoke to Maddy with kindness and aggression. He said: "Oh Maddy...Philadelphia loves you!" "You wouldn't believe all the people in Philadelphia that love you!!!" Maddy said: ......."Really?" "Well..if you love us so much then why won't your radio stations play our music?" One of my favorite memories...great show

Yes 1979 in the round

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jrw View Post
    Yes 1979 in the round
    I saw this tour in Ottawa, had seats right near the stage.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound.

The most memorable was September 1982 The Who Farewell tour, the first (?) of several farewell tours. The Clash and Santana were also there (two out of three ain't bad considering The Clash were booed unmercifully, though I liked them.). A scorching hot day with 100,000 packed into a stadium. As much a Bacchanalian teenage wasteland than anything else, which was fine by me for, holy cow, I was barely seventeen and I was barely dressed. Believe it or not somehow without cell phones we were able to find our way to the stadium and meet up with friends and family amid the throngs and mayhem. If I didn't heed Mt 5:44 I'd be with Adrian Carsini: may my enemies never be as happy as I was on that day. But would I look forward to a forty year reunion, fat chance!

Most memorable concert I've been to: the Residents, 1990 "CUBE-E" tour, Florence Gould Hall NYC. Avant-rock rules!

Quote Originally Posted by enigmatic View Post
    Most memorable concert I've been to: the Residents, 1990 "CUBE-E" tour, Florence Gould Hall NYC. Avant-rock rules!
    I saw them at the Pension Building 7th October 1983 - New Music Festival ("Uncle Sam Mole Show"), Washington DC. memorable and very strange.
    The last of that tour, was almost a total disaster ( unknown to the audience ) due to all of their staging and some equipment being held in England.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Enidi View Post
    Steeleye Span 1990 at TLA or Chestnut Cabaret ,..I don't remember. They had just released Time. The band was fronted by Maddy Prior and Gay Woods. They were both phenomenal and Peter Knight played some amazing solos. The entire band was amazing and Maddy danced a fast Jig ..entering the audience and dancing before us...next to us...and creating the soul of ole' Ireland.

After the show ...about 10 of us stood outside waiting by the Steeleye Span tour bus to ask for autographs. The first member to walk out was Gay Woods. She wore a black hooded cloak and walked quickly to the bus avoiding us completely. She looked really mysterious.

Then Bob Johnson walked out and stood around us. I asked him about Rocket Cottage and how difficult it is to obtain it. He said: "Well if it's that difficult to find then it must have not been a very good album " At this point I'm holding back laughter.

Then Maddy Prior walked out of the theater greeting us all. She started signing LP's and cds ...answering questions ...She looked at me and said.."Is there something you'd like to ask me?" ...and so I asked her if she enjoyed working with Mike Oldfield on the Incantations album. She said..."Yes! Mike is an interesting person and very talented..and yes I liked that project"

As she spoke to me...we made normal eye contact. She had teardrop eyes that told a story. Then this guy abruptly spoke to Maddy with kindness and aggression. He said: "Oh Maddy...Philadelphia loves you!" "You wouldn't believe all the people in Philadelphia that love you!!!" Maddy said: ......."Really?" "Well..if you love us so much then why won't your radio stations play our music?" One of my favorite memories...great show
    Man, I am soooo jealous. I didn't get to see them until the 40th Anniversary tour, despite being a huge fan since 1989 or so. And I had to go from Ohio to Chicago to see that. They did a US tour in the late 90s that comprised Massachusetts, Connecticut, Rhode Island, and maybe a New York or Pennsylvania date.SMH.