Page 31 of 48 FirstFirst ... 2127282930313233343541 ... LastLast

Thread: MLB 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post

I'm a huge Ohtani fan, and absolutely hate the Yankees, but Judge should get it, IMO. What Ohtani is doing is pretty unprecedented, but Judge is also having a historical season, and Ohtani won last year. Not to mention the inherent Yankees media bias.
    Brian Kenny broke down the numbers last week on MLB Now. Yes, what Ohtani is doing is unprecedented, but Judge provides more value (measured by win probability added) just as a hitter alone. While WPA doesn't measure fielding, Judge clearly adds value playing a premier position.

I think the BBWA writers are savvy enough to see that.

I know how a lot of fans view Kenny, and I'm not here to argue for or against him. Even if you don't like him, I think the argument he makes here is sound, and it's fun to examine all these different metrics:

And then there's the fact that Judge's team is actually still playing for something, and he's the most (only) consistent source of offense.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    I think the BBWA writers are savvy enough to see that.
    Sure, they're savvy enough to see things correctly. But will that outweigh their biases? Based on HOF voting, I'm not so sure about that.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Aaron Nola has 200 strikeouts on the season. For the 4th time in the last 5 years, with the only exception being the pandemic year.

Nola may not ever win a Cy Young, but he's always right in the conversation, year after year.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Aaron Nola has 200 strikeouts on the season. For the 4th time in the last 5 years, with the only exception being the pandemic year.

Nola may not ever win a Cy Young, but he's always right in the conversation, year after year.
    Joey Gallo has 200-plus strikeouts every year and he's never even mentioned.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Joey Gallo has 200-plus strikeouts every year and he's never even mentioned.

Judge just hit #55. That's four games in a row. I think he's going to do it, barring an injury. And he is pretty much the last batter to still be healthy.

Sure, they're savvy enough to see things correctly. But will that outweigh their biases? Based on HOF voting, I'm not so sure about that.
    I think some of that tide is turning, but who knows for sure.

Also, the Braves caught the Mets.

The eons are closing
    All I can say is that the Mariners better do their fucking job at home! LOL

Mad Max on IL for 15 dayz... sigh

It better not be like 1999 when Mets won 97 and still finished six back.....

Or 1985 for that matter....
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Getting nervous, MudShark?
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

The eons are closing
    I am Mets fan - born nervous!

This aint 2007 or 2008. The Mets are 29-16 since ASG - which is a 640 win percentage. That ain't choking.

The Braves are just the best playing team in MLB right now - 30-13 since ASG, an astounding 42-18 since July 1st....

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    The Braves are just the best playing team in MLB right now - 30-13 since ASG, an astounding 42-18 since July 1st....
    And they wouldn’t be where they are without the major contributions of three rookies, two of whom were called up midseason from AA. It’s been a really fun season for Braves’ fans! Coming down to the wire is making it even better!

Finally someone intentionally walked Judge.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Finally someone intentionally walked Judge.
    Uh, it's been happening for weeks.

Boone lost another game with yet another Boone-headed pen move. He's a blithering idiot when it comes to in-game management.

EDIT: Ultimately, the game was lost by utterly terrible umpiring, especially behind the plate. It was, yet, another awful display of incompetence.

It was, yet, another awful display of incompetence.
    I don't know. MLB umpires have some of the finest displays of incompetence that you can find anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I don't know. MLB umpires have some of the finest displays of incompetence that you can find anywhere.
    agreed.

Uh, it's been happening for weeks.
    If they did he would only have 40 home runs.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    If they did he would only have 40 home runs.
    I didn't say, "months," now did I? Plus, he had good hitters behind him for a good portion of the season. Now, he has none in their decimated lineup.

Welp....we've got some rule changes, folks.

Pitch clocks! YAY!
    No defensive shifts! BOO!
    Larger bases! Meh
    Limited pickoffs! No idea

Yeah, I think the pitch clock rules go a bit too far. I think they're trying way too hard to squeeze too much time out of the game. What's next two strikes and three balls?

Pitch timer, shift restrictions among announced rule changes for '23

Pitch clocks have been wildly popular and successful in the minors. I think it's probably the best change since the introduction of instant replay.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Pitch clocks make a hell of a lot of sense to me, also, make the batter stay in the box.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Pitch clocks make a hell of a lot of sense to me, also, make the batter stay in the box.
    Agreed. I reading a lot about how this actually puts more on the batter than the pitcher.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Welp....we've got some rule changes, folks.

Pitch clocks! YAY!
    No defensive shifts! BOO!
    Larger bases! Meh
    Limited pickoffs! No idea
    Pitch clocks! Meh. I could be wrong, but most of the complaints about games being too long seem to be from people whose paychecks derive from having to watch games. Announcers, writers, sports radio people, and not real baseball fans.
    No defensive shifts! Dumb.
    Larger bases! Can hitting off a tee be far behind?
    Limited pickoffs! Dumb.

Also: They're decreasing the divisional games to 52 from 76. I dunno.
    46 interleague games up from 20. YAY! I think.

The eons are closing
    Also: They're decreasing the divisional games to 52 from 76. I dunno.

46 interleague games up from 20. YAY! I think
    All that gets resounding boos from all members of Casa Mudshark.

30 secs btwn batters
    15 secs pitch clock with no one on base.
    20 with runners on.
    Batters need to be in box w/ 8 sec left or autostrike.

Sounds effing perfect. Only human rain delays like Kimbrel should really be worried....