Page 2 of 48 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: MLB 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    He's more of a football guy (loves the Hail Mary pass), but he likes all sports.
    I thought he'd at least be a fan of the Holy Ghost runner on second to begin extra innings. I heard he's a fan of he American League Easter Division, but has a soft spot for the Angels.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I predict MLB will lose 30 games this season because of the lockout.

Any others want to throw in a guess?
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I just texted a prediction of 132 game season to my brother. I'll modify my prediction to 130 here.

I read this just now and it's not a rosy outlook

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...tiations-stand
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Johnkil View Post
    My (naive) hope is that the lockout ends before the end of the month. I enjoy the spring training games. Keeping my fingers crossed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    99% not likely to happen. I don't say this because I'm a Manfred hater or such, but in watching other various "big decisions" over the last few years, seems it's at the very last minute or beyond.

So I'll go out on a limb and say April 15.
    This is what I said a few weeks back.

I think the best case scenario is that games start on May 1st. That implies a deal in place by first week of March so they can commence with signing players and 6 weeks of ST.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Manfred will be speaking to the media tomorrow, most likely to announce a delay for Spring Training.

Meanwhile, the owners still refuse to negotiate.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Honestly tired of this crap. Almost every time the contract expires, it's time to either lockout or strike. If covid taught me one thing, it's that there is always something else to do. If they don't start on time, I'm tapping out for the year. I may watch later in the season but I won't give them any money. Because whoever wins, it always comes out of the fans pockets.

Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Us fans are so fucked. So are the players.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Us fans are so fucked. So are the players.
    I'm definitely on the players' side, but I have a hard time seeing these millionaires as fucked.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    I'm definitely on the players' side, but I have a hard time seeing these millionaires as fucked.
    You have to remember that not all of the players are millionaires, and many of the issues are regarding the players who are not on $100M contracts.

AFAIC, there's only one issue that critically needs remedied and that is to ensure that all players at the minor league level (not to mention those who help operate smaller parks) are properly compensated, (sometimes) housed, and fed for their time and efforts.

I also think that emerging major league players should be paid 1M minimum salary with incentives (I wouldn't think that way, but there are many under-performing veterans who make multi millions with less results). In a game with extremely disproportionate salaries and guaranteed contracts, it's difficult for me to see any player who makes millions annually as a "victim". But there is zero chance that baseball ever adopts a better system.

As I understand it, most of the current negotiations only deal with players at the major league level. The key sticking points are well laid out here:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2022/...sociation.html
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

You have to remember that not all of the players are millionaires, and many of the issues are regarding the players who are not on $100M contracts.
    Yeah, I get that. I'm in their corner.

AFAIC, there's only one issue that critically needs remedied and that is to ensure that all players at the minor league level (not to mention those who help operate smaller parks) are properly compensated, (sometimes) housed, and fed for their time and efforts.

I also think that emerging major league players should be paid 1M minimum salary with incentives (I wouldn't think that way, but there are many under-performing veterans who make multi millions with less results). In a game with extremely disproportionate salaries and guaranteed contracts, it's difficult for me to see any player who makes millions annually as a "victim". But there is zero chance that baseball ever adopts a better system.

As I understand it, most of the current negotiations only deal with players at the major league level. The key sticking points are well laid out here:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2022/...sociation.html
    I don't see anything incentive-based ever being approved by the union.

I'd like to see the CBT raised and a salary floor installed, as well as other measures to prevent the tanking we've seen the last couple years, in addition to the minor league issues that you mention being addressed.

100 game season?

140?

The first week of Spring Training is officially cancelled.

The first week of Spring Training is officially cancelled.
    Glad we did not do a spring training Florida trip this year, as we do some years.

My nephew is one of those grad students that's still eligible to play so he's finishing his MBA at Michigan and is playing 2nd base for the Wolverines. Today I'm streaming Michigan vs Kansas State at the State Farm College Baseball Showdown. It's at the Globe Life field (TX Rangers) in Arlington TX. So fun to watch baseball again.

That is really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    My nephew is one of those grad students that's still eligible to play so he's finishing his MBA at Michigan and is playing 2nd base for the Wolverines. Today I'm streaming Michigan vs Kansas State at the State Farm College Baseball Showdown. It's at the Globe Life field (TX Rangers) in Arlington TX. So fun to watch baseball again.
    I don't follow college baseball all that much, but the Michigan baseball program has a really good reputation.

Between this lockout and the continued idiocy of MLBs blackout rules combined with the inability of Hulu and the Cubs' superstation to play nice, I'm hanging by a thread as a fan this season. As long as COVID eases off by summer, I'll try to attend regional MiLB games and our local Northwoods League team's games, but that might be the extent of it.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

If I can travel to Wisconsin this summer, my grandson is returning for his second year of T-Ball.

Quote Originally Posted by proggy_jazzer View Post
    Between this lockout and the continued idiocy of MLBs blackout rules combined with the inability of Hulu and the Cubs' superstation to play nice, I'm hanging by a thread as a fan this season. As long as COVID eases off by summer, I'll try to attend regional MiLB games and our local Northwoods League team's games, but that might be the extent of it.
    We also have a Northwoods League team here in Kalamazoo, and always hit at least a few games ever summer. Cheap tickets, Bell's Beer, and good BBQ. Always a good time.