Page 6 of 48 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: MLB 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    And Joey Gallo sure seems to be a candidate for this, as well.
    BIG-TIME! He's awful. A terrible signing.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Well, I don't have documented proof, but I witnessed it with Mark Texiera.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Same, but with Ryan Howard.

And Joey Gallo sure seems to be a candidate for this, as well.
    But were hitters like these guys anything more than pull hitters? Does Joey Gallo get out of the Minors thirty years ago? These are not a rhetorical or snarky questions; legitimately, I don’t know. I’m sure the data are out there (more on that in a sec), but I haven’t the time to find it.

And how many more mediocre hitters with some power made it to the league after various expansions and less focus on running and defense and better training and better drugs and tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow?

I think we’re looking for one thing to point a finger at and say, “A ha! Fuck you one thing that is bad! I banish you and everything is rad again!” But there are so many factors and so much data. A single solution seems unlikely.

I think a failing of the data-centric game (an aspect of the game I do enjoy looking at—hell, I subscribe to Fangraphs) is the assumption that a data magic bullet can be found.

Equally egregious, though, is the failing of the eyeball-test folks who believe their anecdotal evidence reigns supreme.

And, note, I’m not accusing any here of either failing (though I likely succumb to the former from time to time).
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

A little levity:

Rickey Big Base.jpg
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Two more series dropped. Opening day April 14 ... for now.

I don't think the owners ever had any plans for April baseball.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Apparently a deal has been reached. Now we can bitch about everything else. Yay!!!
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

The eons are closing
    Señor Passan just tweeted it - so its gotta be true!

I for one look forward to complaining about 7 inning day night doubleheaders and the xtra inning fake baseball shenanigans.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

I am so looking forward to bitching about Twins' pitching.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    Señor Passan just tweeted it - so its gotta be true!

I for one look forward to complaining about 7 inning day night doubleheaders and the xtra inning fake baseball shenanigans.

Reportedly, the double headers will be 9-inning double headers.

Also, the DH will be used in the NL.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I am so looking forward to bitching about Twins' pitching.

But you'll never again have to bitch about their hitting, when visiting a NL park!

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    But you'll never again have to bitch about their hitting, when visiting a NL park!
    That's true!
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

The eons are closing
    I am already writing my screed on NL DH.....

I am already writing my screed on NL DH.....

Was wondering who would be first. Winner, winner, chicken dinner!!!

My short take. Never was a fan of the DH but the rules of the game should be the same. Not having the DH had put the NL at a disadvantage in the World Series because they didn't have a slugger just sitting on the bench to DH.

A nice breakdown from Pinstripe Alley:

So, what did we end up with after all of that talk? On the core issues, MLB proposed a luxury tax that will begin at $230 million and scale up to $244 million by the end of the CBA (a five-year period), a $50 million pre-arbitration pool for players who overperform on their rookie contracts, new service time bonuses for top rookies, and minimum salaries of $700,000-$780,000 (Triple-A players on 40-man rosters will see increases, too). The designated hitter will become universal across the league, and we will no longer have to look out for seven-inning doubleheaders or runners starting on second base in extra innings.

There will also be postseason expansion this season as the league expands to 12 teams competing for the World Series, while the bottom six teams in the league will enter a lottery for the draft. The first round of the playoffs will be a best-of-three Wild Card Series, and the top two division winners in each league will get byes. There will be no reseeding after the first round. Additionally, Game 163 tiebreakers like the one that catapulted Bucky Dent to fame in 1978 are sadly no more; ties will be settled through formulas like in the NFL.

As for the international draft, the two sides agreed to punt that issue down the line a bit, putting a July 25th deadline for a draft to be formed that would begin in 2024, and would come with the removal of qualifying offers for free agents. If the draft is not agreed to in the end, then the qualifying offer will remain. The union also agreed to drop one of the grievances MLB requested, their 2020 COVID case, but did not drop the suit against revenue-sharing abuse from teams like the Rays, Pirates, Marlins, and Athletics. Additionally, the Rule 5 Draft, usually held over the offseason, will be cancelled this time around.

MLB will also have the ability to implement changes with 45 days’ notice.

One week until the first games.

The eons are closing
    Quote Originally Posted by Tangram View Post
    Was wondering who would be first. Winner, winner, chicken dinner!!!

My short take. Never was a fan of the DH but the rules of the game should be the same. Not having the DH had put the NL at a disadvantage in the World Series because they didn't have a slugger just sitting on the bench to DH.
    I am so disappointed in the NL DH that I cannot write coherently - though some would say I never could....

The question everyone is now waiting for:

Will Japan's Central League now adopt the DH? The only reason they let pitchers hit is because Japanese baseball was organized to mimic the U.S. AL and NL.

The eons are closing
    If the Braves really are gonna let Freddie walk - (which IMO is dumb) - and with the fuckin terrible NL DH - Mets should move Alonso 'there' and bring in Freddie for three years.

If the Braves really are gonna let Freddie walk - (which IMO is dumb) - and with the fuckin terrible NL DH - Mets should move Alonso 'there' and bring in Freddie for three years.

He won't settle for three years. And haven't the Mets spent enough money already?

I am so disappointed in the NL DH that I cannot write coherently - though some would say I never could....

Agreed. Also don't like the expanded playoffs, and absolutely hate the shift banning (which isn't slated to go into effect until next season).

But, baseball is back, warts and all, and I'm apparently going to the Phillies' opener on the 8th. So, yay!

Now go sign Castellanos! Or Bryant! Or Schwarber!
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

The eons are closing
    He won't settle for three years. And haven't the Mets spent enough money already?
    He would settle for three years if it starts "max'd" out with mutual options for add on years - or loaded with eazy to reach incentive scales

But I think Braves will keep him and give him the length needed to retire a Brave.

He would settle for three years if it starts "max'd" out with mutual options for add on years - or loaded with eazy to reach incentive scales

But I think Braves will keep him and give him the length needed to retire a Brave.

I expect a five-year contract from the Braves for around $150M.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Banning the shift is stupid. Why stop there? Why don't they paint little circles where the defensive players have to stand until the ball is pitched?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Banning the shift is stupid. Why stop there? Why don't they paint little circles where the defensive players have to stand until the ball is pitched?
    I'm sure that's coming. Along with 4-pitch strikeouts and 3-pitch walks.

Because we need more offense, and the games are too long.

I expect a five-year contract from the Braves for around $150M.
    Apparently, the Braves made an offer pre-lockout of around 5/135.

Rumor is he's looking for 6-7 at 30m+ AAV. I think he'll get it too, just not from the Braves.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    Apparently, the Braves made an offer pre-lockout of around 5/135.

Rumor is he's looking for 6-7 at 30m+ AAV. I think he'll get it too, just not from the Braves.
    Yep. He's most likely going to be signed by the Dodgers or Yankees. Braves had every opportunity to get a deal done and couldn't.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.