Page 15 of 48 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast

Thread: MLB 2022

The shortened spring training really has caused a lot of problems. Many of he batters spent the better part of a month or two getting their groove back. Injuries all over the place and I think a lot of that has to do with not being able to ease into the full season. And obviously the umpiring crews were totally unprepared. Or they're just fuckups.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    The shortened spring training really has caused a lot of problems. Many of he batters spent the better part of a month or two getting their groove back. Injuries all over the place and I think a lot of that has to do with not being able to ease into the full season. And obviously the umpiring crews were totally unprepared. Or they're just fuckups.
    Are any other pro athletes as fragile as MLB players?
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I know it's a far more injury-inducing sport but NFL players seem to be all made of balsa wood and PEDs.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Orioles must be the most unpredictable team in baseball.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    Idiot baseball beat reporter:
    "You guys have won 8 of 11 versus Philadelphia this season. Why is that?"

Francisco Lindor:
    <pause> Baseball.

[emoji106]

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    That's more politically correct than "well, the Phillies just suck."

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post

First time I heard someone reference the free 2B runner in Extra Innings as:

"The Manfred Man"

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    Love that!

And obviously the umpiring crews were totally unprepared. Or they're just fuckups.
    Definitely the latter.

I know it's a far more injury-inducing sport but NFL players seem to be all made of balsa wood and PEDs.
    Part of the problem, IMO, is that athletes are getting bigger, stronger, faster, etc. but your ligaments, tendons and joints are what they are. They can't be strengthened. So, when you have a 330 lb. lineman who can run a 4.5 40, your body just isn't designed to be able to absorb those kind of hits and reps on a regular basis.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Jim Kaat, who has been known to make idiotic comments in the past, is now taking heat for referring to Yankees Nestor Cortes as "Nestor the Molester." While it's troubling, I think it's just another gaffe of his. That being said, all the reports seem to miss one interesting dynamic. There was a cartoon in Hustler Magazine called Chester the Molester. So, I wonder if this controversy is also providing insights onto Mr. Kaat's reading habits. (Assuming he does more than look at the pictures, that is.)
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

The Tigers have won 7 out of their last 9 and despite having more than a dozen guys on the injure list may be starting to play the way they were supposed to this year. We'll see what happens against the Yanks this weekend.

The Phillies have fired Joe Girardi.

YAY!
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    The Tigers have won 7 out of their last 9 and despite having more than a dozen guys on the injure list may be starting to play the way they were supposed to this year. We'll see what happens against the Yanks this weekend.
    Yankees have defied everything so far, including a recent upswing in injuries. They are beginning to look like a team of destiny.

Ouch.

And, boy oh boy, is that Apple TV broadcast team terrible. Constant yammering all night long with the action on the field seemingly incidental.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Ouch.

And, boy oh boy, is that Apple TV broadcast team terrible. Constant yammering all night long with the action on the field seemingly incidental.
    I don't have apple TV so did not see any of it, but based on the final score that is probably just as well.....

I don't have apple TV so did not see any of it, but based on the final score that is probably just as well.....
    Either do it, but it was free yesterday.

I can't say I've ever seen starting pitching like this before. After Taillon goes into the 8th with a perfect game, the next day, Cole loses a perfect game in the 7th. Today, Severino gives up one hit, that should have been called an error. Montgomery has the worst ERA of the five starters at 3.04. They can't possibly keep this up.

Been watching Angels vs. Phillies this afternoon. It's a barnburner.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    It's Baseball, so somebody probably dropped a lit cigarette in the hay pile.

How long until Joe madden gets the boot?

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    My brother and I took my Dad to this - probably his last game, as he's 81 and has begun the slow health decline. Hopefully not.

But, if that was his last, what a game to choose! Harper hits a grand slam in the 8th to tie the game, the never-dependable Phillies bullpen gives up a run in the top of the 9th, and then rookie Bryson Stott (sporting a .155 average) hits a 3-run bomb to walk it off.

Both home runs came with full counts and two outs.

Phillies have won 4 in a row, and swept the free-falling Angels after firing Joe Girardi.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    The Phillies have fired Joe Girardi.

YAY!
    Not sure that that is going to fix their two biggest problems: defense and bullpen. Defensive runs saved (DRS) is not a precise stat (no defense stats are), but I saw on MLB today where the Phils are, in the past two plus seasons, outpacing the next worst DSR team by over a hundred runs (or something like that). Adding Castellanos and Schwarber didn't help.

that Apple TV broadcast team terrible. Constant yammering all night long with the action on the field seemingly incidental.
    Was former Cardinal/Brave/Atlanta Falcon Brian Jordon providing commentary? He was on the Braves broadcast a few weeks back, and he's a regular for Bally when Francoeur doesn't feel like working. And, yes, Jordan was awful on Apple and awful on Bally.

How long until Joe madden gets the boot?
    Angels collapsed. Maybe they can piece it back together.

In brighter Angels news, they have not only the best of the City Connect unis (which is a very low bar) but perhaps one of the greatest unis ever. They are simple and perfect.

https://www.mlb.com/news/angels-city...forms-unveiled
    My brother and I took my Dad to this - probably his last game, as he's 81 and has begun the slow health decline. Hopefully not.

But, if that was his last, what a game to choose!
    \

Very cool, Scott! I couldn't help thinking something similar when I took my parents (both in their 70s) to the Memorial Weekend game in Atlanta.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    Not sure that that is going to fix their two biggest problems: defense and bullpen. Defensive runs saved (DRS) is not a precise stat (no defense stats are), but I saw on MLB today where the Phils are, in the past two plus seasons, outpacing the next worst DSR team by over a hundred runs (or something like that). Adding Castellanos and Schwarber didn't help.
    No, you're not going to change that with the manager. However, Girardi's biggest faults were bullpen management and benching young players in favor of fading veterans. And we're already seeing changes in both areas that have resulted in 3 wins.

Apparently, he wasn't popular among the players, either. We'll see what happens....

Very cool, Scott! I couldn't help thinking something similar when I took my parents (both in their 70s) to the Memorial Weekend game in Atlanta.
    Yeah, it's a pretty neat tradition, and I know my Dad appreciated it. Hope to do it again sometime, God willing.

This thread is bringing back memories of going to games with my father. He took me to the very first Bat Day at Yankee Stadium in 1963. Near the end of his life, my brother and I took him to the local minor league games and he just loved it, eating hotdogs (which he wasn't supposed to have) and hollering at the umpires. Simple things but the best memories.

Was former Cardinal/Brave/Atlanta Falcon Brian Jordon providing commentary? He was on the Braves broadcast a few weeks back, and he's a regular for Bally when Francoeur doesn't feel like working. And, yes, Jordan was awful on Apple and awful on Bally.
    From online sources: Melanie Newman (play-by-play), Chris Young (analyst), Hannah Keyser (analyst), and Brooke Fletcher (reporter). Newman and Young never stop talking, especially him. I swear they hit 20,000 words. The action on the field seems incidental. They are just trying way too hard. The criticism seems to be consistent, from what I've seen.

In brighter Angels news, they have not only the best of the City Connect unis (which is a very low bar) but perhaps one of the greatest unis ever. They are simple and perfect.
    One of the greatest? Hardly, IMNSHO. They are nice, though.

But, if that was his last, what a game to choose! Harper hits a grand slam in the 8th to tie the game, the never-dependable Phillies bullpen gives up a run in the top of the 9th, and then rookie Bryson Stott (sporting a .155 average) hits a 3-run bomb to walk it off.

Both home runs came with full counts and two outs.

Phillies have won 4 in a row, and swept the free-falling Angels after firing Joe Girardi.
    That's great that you got to take your Dad! Let's hope there's some more.

Quote Originally Posted by headcrash View Post
    This thread is bringing back memories of going to games with my father. He took me to the very first Bat Day at Yankee Stadium in 1963. Near the end of his life, my brother and I took him to the local minor league games and he just loved it, eating hotdogs (which he wasn't supposed to have) and hollering at the umpires. Simple things but the best memories.
    Not much better than going with your Dad to a ball game. You're Dad giving it to the umps and having some dogs is priceless.

I have memories of going with my Dad to the Nets in the ABA, taking me and my older brothers to my first Knicks game. Still have the wristbands I got that night. While we were both Yankee fans, his work got tickets to Mets games. They would rent a bus with two pails in it. One with soda for the kids and the other with beer for the Dads. Plus a roast beef or ham and cheese hero for all. Good times, I hope I remember them to the end.

One of the greatest? Hardly, IMNSHO. They are nice, though.
    A little hyperbole goes a long way.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by headcrash View Post
    Yes, the best memories.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangram View Post
    That's great that you got to take your Dad! Let's hope there's some more.
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Tangram View Post
    Not much better than going with your Dad to a ball game. You're Dad giving it to the umps and having some dogs is priceless.

I have memories of going with my Dad to the Nets in the ABA, taking me and my older brothers to my first Knicks game. Still have the wristbands I got that night. While we were both Yankee fans, his work got tickets to Mets games. They would rent a bus with two pails in it. One with soda for the kids and the other with beer for the Dads. Plus a roast beef or ham and cheese hero for all. Good times, I hope I remember them to the end.
    The best memories!

In 1997, we went down to my parents place in Scottsdale AZ. Both my dad and uncle were still hale and hearty, and we went to a spring training game. The As against someone. Just sitting in the sun, drinking beer, watching some baseball while my wife stretches her legs over the empty seat in front of her to get an even tan. By the next January my dad was gone and my uncle went soon after. I don't remember the score or who won, but I cherish the memory of sitting in the sun with those two.