Page 14 of 48 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

Thread: MLB 2022

Ugh.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

O's win 5-3 on five solo home runs.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    The Red Sox went 4-10 over the last 14 games and the # of earned runs the starters have given up over that streak:
    2 2 0 0 2 2 1 0 0 0 3 0 2 0, which shows how bad the pen and offense have been.

Looks like we're back to the dead ball era

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/m...-the-baseball/
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

It stuck me how ridiculous things have gotten when pitch framing is considered one of the most valuable skills a catcher can have; arguably more important than hitting.

There would be no such thing with competent umpiring.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

The eons are closing
    Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    It stuck me how ridiculous things have gotten when pitch framing is considered one of the most valuable skills a catcher can have; arguably more important than hitting.

Do you consider framing a post modern (2000->) "skill set"?

And is framing a reaction to a "debatable" umpire zone "correction" after the ludicrous wide strike zones of the 90s?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    Do you consider framing a post modern (2000->) "skill set"?

And is framing a reaction to a "debatable" umpire zone "correction" after the ludicrous wide strike zones of the 90s?
    "Modern"? Quite possibly. I don't recall hearing much about framing. It certainly wasn't as valued as it is today. That would be a lost art with robo umps.

I don't see it as a correction to a previous scenario at all.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

The eons are closing
    Until last decade, talk about framing was minimal - likely discussed, but not categorized as a "catching tool" that got rated. No one talked about Gary Carter or Benito "framing".....

But I do think the framing talk is a result of the strike zone shifting closer to its actuality over last 15 years or so - starting with KZone proliferation on TV and moving towards "rating" the umps nightly...

And I agree that robo umps eliminates this "skill"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post

Agreed.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Hopefully it will eventually go the way of VAR in soccer. It was so clear that the fans watching TV had a better view of the call than the referee on the field due the improved technology with high definition, multiple camera angles, slomo replays it became a joke and they had to provide the referee's the assistance of video.

They do the same thing in cricket with ball tracking, heat mapping and snickometers (that show if the ball imperceptibly touched the bat and thus enabling a catch) to help the umpires make the call.

Personally I made me much more impressed with the standard of umpiring in cricket with how often they got the call right despite having to predict the flight of a spinning pitching ball.

Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

The MLB just announced the Cleveland Guardians' game against the White Sox on Wednesday has been postponed due to a COVID outbreak.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    The MLB just announced the Cleveland Guardians' game against the White Sox on Wednesday has been postponed due to a COVID outbreak.
    yippee. Here we go.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Well, a positive side of baseball is that there are so many opportunities to make up games... or just skip them altogether because who cares. But it's not devastating to the schedule or season like it is for football.

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    Well, a positive side of baseball is that there are so many opportunities to make up games... or just skip them altogether because who cares. But it's not devastating to the schedule or season like it is for football.
    So many pennant races come down to the wire, though. Every game is important. Skipping them is the last resort.

It's 2022 and MLB umpires still completely suck.

In yesterday's Braves/Brewers game, a short hump-back liner was hit to Ozzie Albies, at second base. Albies played the ball in a way where the ball actually bounced on the webbing of his glove, which was on the ground, and into the pocket of his glove. He then threw to second base, seemingly to make sure they got the out, and then the ball was thrown to first base, where the baserunner had easily gotten back before the throw.

So, the correct call would be the batter being out, and the runner on first safe. But, of course, that's now how it went.

Apparently you're not able to review whether a ball in play is a catch or not because.....reasons? So, after an umpire conference, the play was ruled a double-play.

For those with Twitter, you can see the play here: https://twitter.com/JomboyMedia/stat...3wqC3RY8xf4vRA

So incredibly incompetent.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    That umpire is terrible he was looking at it from 10 feet away!
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Pitch clocks are shaving thirty minutes off Minor League games. Last year games averaged over three hours. They’re done to two and a half.

When can we get them into the Majors?
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

The Yankees are on a serious roll and Judge is leading the pack. That being said, they won't get anywhere if they keep Chapman in the closer role. He's awful, has no command and should be relegated to mop-up duty.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    Pitch clocks are shaving thirty minutes off Minor League games. Last year games averaged over three hours. They’re done to two and a half.

When can we get them into the Majors?
    Not soon enough, IMO.

The eons are closing
    Idiot baseball beat reporter:
    "You guys have won 8 of 11 versus Philadelphia this season. Why is that?"

Francisco Lindor:
    <pause> Baseball.

[emoji106]

Twins are in a funk with offense going anemic and pitching imploding. The past couple evenings I've been watching the Big Ten baseball tournament (my nephew plays for Michigan). Damn, these games are FUN to watch. Iowa beating Michigan right now but hey, it's double elimination, so they play again tomorrow morning to see who gets to the championship. And over in the PAC ten, there's this insanity:

https://www.latimes.com/sports/ucla/...n-oregon-state
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

The eons are closing
    Went to Citi Field last night - great game.

First time I heard someone reference the free 2B runner in Extra Innings as:

"The Manfred Man"

Went to my first MLB game in about 5 years yesterday and watched the Tigers beat the Cleveland on a beautiful day. Fun times!

I guess it was the weekend for it . . .

Saw the Braves/Marlins game yesterday at Truist. Beautiful day, low humidity, hot but breezy. Best time I've had at an MLB game in ages. (Usually the crowds and lines bother me.)
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Twins are in a funk with offense going anemic and pitching imploding. The past couple evenings I've been watching the Big Ten baseball tournament (my nephew plays for Michigan). Damn, these games are FUN to watch. Iowa beating Michigan right now but hey, it's double elimination, so they play again tomorrow morning to see who gets to the championship. And over in the PAC ten, there's this insanity:

https://www.latimes.com/sports/ucla/...n-oregon-state
    The Tigers really need this series, but are in the same boat. The team is hitting like shit for the most part and half of the starters are injured. Season has started out pretty brutal so far.