Thread: Farewell Prog's CD

Farewell Prog's CD

It was always a bit of a curate's egg, but I am sorry to see it go. Manufacturing difficulties apparently ........

I am always sorry to see these things go, but like nearly all ‘free’ CDs from the magazine business, it’s 100% ‘pay to play’; you want to be on there? It’s xxx $ or £ per track.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

I don't think Prog Magazine was asking too much for inclusion on those CDs - I heard under $300. But I could be wrong.

Not sorry to see it go. I keep them all but never listen to them...
    The Prog Corner

I've kept a bunch over the years and have probably listened to one of them. I saw the disc as an incentive to buy the issue, but then I rarely listened. As all great intentions, I always meant to.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

I listened to every one of the discs when I bought the mag. Very, very few tracks tickled my fancy over the years.

I was always left underwhelmed when listening to the cd, no great loss if you ask me.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    LOL - just last night I came across one of those I'd hung onto, and opened and listened to it - almost the first time! I was surprised at how well it was put together, and the songs on it were pretty good. I think Spotify has made these somewhat obsolete. They could just post the name of a Spotify playlist they'd prepared. But I naively didn't know these were pay-to-play, that's pretty sucky. And I thought they were including the music they thought we'd most like but need to have spoonfed!

I rarely listened to any of those label compilation CDs either! But I always appreciated those involved producing and including them anyway!

I stopped buying the magazine over a year ago but always liked the fact that they included a cd. I think because they were trying to stuff so many different artists on those cds you get mostly shorter songs that aren't always a good representation of what prog is. I might start playing some of them though since I have so many.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    I don't think Prog Magazine was asking too much for inclusion on those CDs - I heard under $300. But I could be wrong.

As of August 2019, it was 400 pounds sterling for inclusion on the CD. There were upgrades available including email blast, half page ad, or both, topping out at 900 pounds.

I've never been a subscriber, but I enjoyed getting the CD in the copies I've purchased.

As tired as I am of Classick (real sic) Rock, Classic Rock magazine used to have some real good samplers, and they were almost always new bands! Go figure. Now that's a loss to me.

Seems like Prog mag could lower their price a little if they aren't going to include the "free" disc.

I still have 2 discs; one had 1 track I liked & the other had 2 "good" tracks. I've listened to many more that had nothing I liked. The irony is that I've never bought a copy of the magazine; Waterloo Records would toss them in the free box a month or two after the issue came out.

At first when I read the title of this thread not quite correctly I thought you were getting rid of all your prog cds

Pretty much the law of diminishing returns for me. In the early days I used to enjoy the cds, and they had a bit of heft with a mix of newcomers and more established artists (ie Wilson, Arena, IQ), but lately it's just felt like they were padding out the list.

Some of the acts on the last few discs weren't prog, in any interpretation of the genre - more like vanilla rock or metal - and it was kinda sad to see the magazine going to great lengths to justify their inclusion. The cds also became predictable with the same artists appearing every issue, presumably because their label was one of the few to keep paying for inclusion. And for me, it became increasingly clear why many of these artists were unknown - the music simply wasn't good enough. A lot of it was hopping onto the back of already established trends and sounds, but without any real sparks of individuality to make them stand out.

Of course, I couldn't say that on the FB group - that would be tantamount to heresy - but in all honesty, if the music doesn't tug at your emotions, then there's not much point in sticking with it.

Interestingly there's been very little backlash on the group regarding the loss of the cd.

I gently suggested that it would be nice to go old school again, reading the articles and reviews and then just taking a punt on those albums that sounded interesting - that didn't merit much response either.

Perhaps everybody was wowed by the "art prints" of Ian Anderson as the official consolation substitute for the missing cd....

Quote Originally Posted by zeprogmeister View Post
    At first when I read the title of this thread not quite correctly I thought you were getting rid of all your prog cds
    Would I ever throw out my Harvest-era Barclay James Harvest CDs!?

Quote Originally Posted by Valen View Post
    Pretty much the law of diminishing returns for me. In the early days I used to enjoy the cds, and they had a bit of heft with a mix of newcomers and more established artists (ie Wilson, Arena, IQ), but lately it's just felt like they were padding out the list.

Some of the acts on the last few discs weren't prog, in any interpretation of the genre - more like vanilla rock or metal - and it was kinda sad to see the magazine going to great lengths to justify their inclusion. The cds also became predictable with the same artists appearing every issue, presumably because their label was one of the few to keep paying for inclusion. And for me, it became increasingly clear why many of these artists were unknown - the music simply wasn't good enough. A lot of it was hopping onto the back of already established trends and sounds, but without any real sparks of individuality to make them stand out.

Of course, I couldn't say that on the FB group - that would be tantamount to heresy - but in all honesty, if the music doesn't tug at your emotions, then there's not much point in sticking with it.

Interestingly there's been very little backlash on the group regarding the loss of the cd.

I gently suggested that it would be nice to go old school again, reading the articles and reviews and then just taking a punt on those albums that sounded interesting - that didn't merit much response either.

Perhaps everybody was wowed by the "art prints" of Ian Anderson as the official consolation substitute for the missing cd....

I am afraid the cardboard prints with the new issue are already in the recycling bin!

I have bought every issue of Prog since its inception and have sampled every 'free' CD. By its very nature it's an eclectic thing and I have only occasionally found something that I want to finish listening to yet alone listen to again. Having said that the Prog CD has led me to Lifesigns, in whom I have become quite interested.

Meh, me too.
    I dropped the mag last year after all the fulfillment problems to the US. They still keep begging me to come back. I liked the mag a great deal, but not so much the CD. Did enjoy a few odd tracks over the years, but mostly anything I liked I had already bought. I didn't find it necessary and it must have complicated shipping somewhat.
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

I'm surprised they don't just provide a download code in each issue, which would connect to a server with a CD's worth of tracks for each issue.

Farewell Prog's CD

I have a stack of them. Early on I would play them in my truck, since that’s the only CD player I own. Now I’m retired and don’t travel much, so I just read the description and if it sounds like my kinda music I’ll check it out on iTunes or Bandcamp & pay for a download.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No 'free' CD with the new issue of Mojo either - 'a very tough decision' caused by 'the cost of producing our CDs ... radically increas(ing) over the past year'. With the next issue 'we'll be back to normal' .................. but wouldn't be surprised if this long-established practice of providing a CD with a music magazine is on the way out.

Uncut, however, has two CDs with its current issue!

Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post

Yup, never saw a use for them. Not sure I even listened even once to some of them. The only exception was a MoJo Wyrd Folk comp called Quiet Revolution (or something of that ilk), and played that one fpr reference for a couple of years..

But those Prog, Endangered Species and others of the kind compilation CDs are cluttering an old wine wooden crate, along with the Prog Resiste trimestrial mag samplers - those I did play most a few times - and maybe I will keep those around once I do get fed up with seeing the near-filled box.
    I understand that they don't charge and systematically ask the bands if they can.

I even emptied the jewel case out of those samplers (for reuse elsewhere or just to avoid the crate fill up too quickly) and start wondering how to get rid of them thru the recycling circles (cardboard & and paper inlays is easy enough, but what about the disc itself???? )

Quote Originally Posted by zeprogmeister View Post

me three
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.