Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Gentle Giant - "Civilian" to reissued in Spring 2022 on CD & LP

Gentle Giant - "Civilian" to reissued in Spring 2022 on CD & LP

From Facebook post:

ggcivilian.jpg

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I wonder if audio-wise this will be the same as the one in the big box set?

I'm a firm fan of this album. I know all about the old argument that it's a Gentle Giant album in name only but I don't care. This album is to GG what 90125 is to Yes minus the commercial rewards. I hope the reissue contains bonus material.

I've never actually heard it. Am I in for a shock?

Quote Originally Posted by lovecraft View Post
    I've never actually heard it. Am I in for a shock?
    It's far away from what you would expect from GG, still way better than Giant for a Day. A decent rock album for itself if you don't put it in the bands past context.

Weird. Does this album really need a reissue? I guess if they think they can sell them it's fine, but I'm happy with the version I have (RGF).

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    It's far away from what you would expect from GG, still way better than Giant for a Day. A decent rock album for itself if you don't put it in the bands past context.
    Agreed. There are a couple of tracks I'm not as fond of (Kerry's vocal tracks, mostly), but I think the rest is very solid for what it is... it's just not really GG.

Bill
    Last edited by Sputnik; 01-01-2022 at 07:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FrippWire View Post
    This album is to GG what 90125 is to Yes
    Oh no, it's not nearly that bad.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    GG would have killed for that result.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

I've always quite liked the bonus track Heroes No More, which was on the mp3 version of this album that I downloaded illegally in grad school but not on the remastered edition I bought, and as I recall wasn't on the version in the big box? It's a nice anthemic song and makes a great sendoff to the band and I'd spring for another copy of this album if it's included.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Civilian is a fantastic album. Much in the vein of '80s era Alan Parsons Project. No, it doesn't resemble their '70s prog but as someone already stated, so what. Good rock album with nary a duff tune. Essential? Yes, for me.

I'm looking forward to coming to this one 'cold' as it were.

I'm also hoping the 90125 comparisons are way off stylistically. 1980 is surely a world away from 1983.....

I'd rank it as ahead of Missing Piece and Giant for a Day. It's a good album.

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarplyrjvb View Post
    I'd rank it as ahead of Missing Piece and Giant for a Day. It's a good album.
    Agreed on this. Those two albums do nothing for me, but Civilian is great, and I don't apologize for enjoying it. For me personally it's #3 after Octopus and Free Hand.

On a slightly tangential note, does the final organ chord of "All Through The Night" make anyone else want to sing "Yesterday a morning came, a smile upon your face..."
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

I have the original vinyl I purchased when it was released and a nice sounding one way out cd. Don’t think I need this unless there’s something really special about it. I always thought of it as a harder edge GG. More straight forward but still with GG mannerisms. I enjoy the album.

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    Weird. Does this album really need a reissue? I guess if they think they can sell them it's fine, but I'm happy with the version I have (RGF).
    Why is it weird? Speaking for myself as a person who has never heard the album, and who would rather not pay a lot of money for a used copy, I'm glad it's getting the reissue treatment. I can't be the only one.
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Why is it weird? Speaking for myself as a person who has never heard the album, and who would rather not pay a lot of money for a used copy, I'm glad it's getting the reissue treatment. I can't be the only one.
    I guess I'm surprised that this CD has become so scarce. Like I say, if they think they can sell them, I'm more than happy they're re-pressing. I'm just a bit surprised that with all the reissues this CD has had that there's anyone left out there who doesn't have it already. Whatever. I hope it finds a receptive audience of consumers, but it still seems weird to me as CD reissues of this have been out there for almost 30 years.

Bill

^^ Because remasters seem to encourage (1) folks who haven't heard the album before to finally seek it out and (2) double dips from folks who already have the album but are lured by the "remastered sound quality!!" carrot.

IMHO been burned too many times by this already; I'm a fan of the album but feel no great desire to own two copies at this point.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Inside Out is my favourite GG song!

My interest in GG stopped whith Missing Piece, and I (really) liked only about 50%.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Oh, I didn’t realize you’re not a fan of 90125.
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    I guess I'm surprised that this CD has become so scarce.
    It has been out of print for fifteen years at LEAST. In fact, I only got my copy (after listening to it for years on YouTube) after a social media friend was having a CD fire sale. So I'm surprised people seem to think there are tons of copies of this album available for the taking. I thought the Shulmans' disdain for it would make it NEVER available.

Hmmmm...quick scan of CDs on discogs, and you're NOT wrong at all:

https://www.discogs.com/sell/list?ma...v=mb&format=CD
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    I thought the Shulmans' disdain for it would make it NEVER available.
    Derek Shulman doesn't have disdain for Civilian:

...my feeling – and I’m probably the one outcast as far as the band is concerned – is that I really like Civilian! It’s an album which is completely undersung. There aren’t many key changes or time changes, but I think it was well executed. The song Inside Out is… if there was any situation at all that we would go forward, we’d have progressed into something more like that. Now, we didn’t, but I do kind of like that album, I have to be honest with you!
    Source: my interview with Derek.

I have the '97 CD on One Way Records. It has the Heroes No More bonus cut, that will suffice for me. I think this reissue is largely for newer fans who don't want to hunt for it on Discogs, etc. BTW it took me years to notice the band logo and title are the same thing!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Derek Shulman doesn't have disdain for Civilian
    Oh, that's right, I forgot about that. My error.

BTW it took me years to notice the band logo and title are the same thing!
    I still look at that and think, "Wow, that's kinda clever."
    Last edited by ThomasKDye; 01-03-2022 at 10:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    IMHO been burned too many times by this already; I'm a fan of the album but feel no great desire to own two copies at this point.
    Yep. Remix an album and you'll have my attention. Remaster it? Meh.