Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Gentle Giant - "Civilian" to reissued in Spring 2022 on CD & LP

Nektar - A Tab In The Ocean

Url: https://www.discogs.com/release/5004...b-In-The-Ocean

Shared from the Discogs App

The Unburied Treasure boxset from 2019 states "All music on the 29 CDs has been newly remastered by Pete Reynolds". The $15 question is, is this new release of Civilian the same version as in UT? Did the band find the masters after that box was released?
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

It says all tracks remastered by Pete Reynolds.
    No more heroes remastered by Dan Bornemark.

So it looks like the same remastered audio as the box set.

Mystery solved

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Czar View Post

Mystery solved
    I was looking at the credits in the sleeve for Civilian, so I guess the individual CDs have their original credits, even though it looks like they've been re-typeset. Where does it say that, in the book?

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I was looking at the credits in the sleeve for Civilian, so I guess the individual CDs have their original credits, even though it looks like they've been re-typeset. Where does it say that, in the book?
    Inside panel of the digipak

I would add a photo, but I can't be bothered. Haha

I would add a photo, but I can't be bothered. Haha
    Oh, I thought you meant it said that in the box set. So how do we know the one just released is the same as what's in the box set? As I said, the digipak from the box only mentions the Geoff Emerick "remix" which we're assuming means the original mix - as far as I know there's no mention of Pete Reynolds. And the one just released is only remastered, not remixed? I just assumed it was a remix. Wasn't Freehand a remix, or was that only a remaster?

Not that any of this matters so much...

Oh, I thought you meant it said that in the box set. So how do we know the one just released is the same as what's in the box set? As I said, the digipak from the box only mentions the Geoff Emerick "remix" which we're assuming means the original mix - as far as I know there's no mention of Pete Reynolds. And the one just released is only remastered, not remixed? I just assumed it was a remix. Wasn't Freehand a remix, or was that only a remaster?

Not that any of this matters so much...
    I don't have the box, so I'm just telling people what the new single disc says

Weird there's no UK release for this. Ordered via eBay.

From GG's Facebook page:

"We are currently fixing a few technical issues which is why 'Civilian' is not currently available on streaming services and available digitally. Please be patient, we promise it will be available soon and we will update you all on our social channels."

Has anyone compared this to The Road Goes on Forever CD that was released in ‘93? I think that one sounds very good, and it has “ Heroes”. Is it worth getting this again?
    So much music....so little time....

Quote Originally Posted by flatliner View Post
    Has anyone compared this to The Road Goes on Forever CD that was released in ‘93? I think that one sounds very good, and it has “ Heroes”. Is it worth getting this again?
    I don't own Civilian but I own the Road Goes On CDs for all the other titles up to and including Interview.

IMO (not having heard every CD edition but having heard a couple):

Other than the Steven Wilson remixes (which are interesting and definitive in their own way IF you like that sort of thing, and for GG I do), the Road Goes On were very good versions of the original mixes and I have never felt any need to upgrade.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    I don't own Civilian but I own the Road Goes On CDs for all the other titles up to and including Interview.

IMO (not having heard every CD edition but having heard a couple):

Other than the Steven Wilson remixes (which are interesting and definitive in their own way IF you like that sort of thing, and for GG I do), the Road Goes On were very good versions of the original mixes and I have never felt any need to upgrade.
    Thanks for the info! Think I’ll pass on this…I also have the “Lost My Head” box set and think those sound great….so, yes…I’m passing…..
    So much music....so little time....

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Nektar - A Tab In The Ocean

Url: https://www.discogs.com/release/5004...b-In-The-Ocean

Shared from the Discogs App
    I seem to remember a short little thread on the old PE board...

Quote Originally Posted by flatliner View Post
    The RGOF CD sounds fine; its only flaw is that "Heroes" was sourced from a cassette because that's all they had at the time. The master tape for the song was later found and used on the One Way CD and later reissues. On the One Way CD (the one I have), its sound quality is consistent with the rest of the album. So the only real question is: do you want an audio upgrade to "Heroes"?
    "I tah dah nur!" - Ike

Correct. As far as I know, this new Civilian reissue is identical to the version included in the Unburied Treasure box set. Pete Reynolds remastered the album in 2019 for the box set and he did not do it again this year. It's the same remaster. It was not remixed then and it is not remixed now. The box set version included the Heroes No More bonus track, as does the new release, but that is the one place where the two releases do differ. The box set Heroes was remastered by Pete, as was all the music, but on the new release, Dan Bornemark went in and remastered (not remixed) that one track again. Dan's remaster is only available on this new release.

Geoff Emerick has had no involvement with this album since his original work in 1979-80.

Sadly, Pete Reynolds' 2019 box set remaster left out the "that's all there is" tag at the end and, since the same version is used on the new release, the tag is missing there too. That was a pretty big mistake, if you ask me.

Jack

Mystery solved

I misspoke (mistyped?) in my last post. I think that on the new release, Heroes No More has been remixed by Dan Bornemark, not remastered. The band does own the multitracks for Civilian. I *think* this is right now.

Quote Originally Posted by lovecraft View Post
    Weird there's no UK release for this. Ordered via eBay.
    I don't see it anywhere in Sweden either...

From GG's Facebook page:

"We are currently fixing a few technical issues which is why 'Civilian' is not currently available on streaming services and available digitally. Please be patient, we promise it will be available soon and we will update you all on our social channels."
    What.. CD too??

I only have that old twoofer release of this one (paired with Playing the Fool) and I like the CD alot. No Heroes though...
    Last edited by Hour Candle; 06-03-2022 at 08:46 PM.

Ember
    Still waiting for comparison between this release — or the apparently identical one in the big box — and the 1997(?) One Way CD release that also included “Heroes No More.”

However, the I’m getting a distinct feeling from the waves in the ether that the difference, if any, is insignificant. So I’ll just be happy with what I already have.
    "I have not yet begun to procrastinate."

Well, just coming to the end of side 1 of my first listen to this album. All Through The Night was pretty pedestrian but I enjoyed the other three....

Quote Originally Posted by rdclark View Post
    Still waiting for comparison between this release — or the apparently identical one in the big box — and the 1997(?) One Way CD release that also included “Heroes No More.”

However, the I’m getting a distinct feeling from the waves in the ether that the difference, if any, is insignificant. So I’ll just be happy with what I already have.
    +1
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Has anyone noticed that the cover art on the new edition has been cropped?
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Wait, he's the same dude who did the remix for the Unburied Treasure box set! Have they said anywhere that this is the same remix? I assumed it wasn't since Freehand was released with a different remix after Unburied Treasure was released. Someone needs to personally explain this to me and take responsibility...
    The diff is Free Hand was remixed in stereo and surround by Steven Wilson, so was released as a CD=Blu Ray set.

Civilian is not remixed (if they'd had the original multitrack tapes they'd have been able to do a surround mix also), it is only remastered. Emerick, who did a lot of work with The Beatles, recorded the original album back in 1980.

There seems to be some confusion, as Emerick is credited as remixing, but that would have been at the time (perhaps they weren't happy with the first mix). But this new CD/LP version is just remastered, as per Giant (https://gentlegiantband.com/blogs/ne...-pre-order-now).

This release was remastered by Pete Reynolds, who remastered all the commercials albums in the Unburied Treasure box set. I don't know if this single release is a new remaster or the same as in the box, with just the bonus track added. but having the big box I'm certainly not going to buy what I consider to be a good but not great swan song for the band, just for the bonus track, to find out.

But one thing is certain: it's a remaster and not a remix.
    Cheers!
    John Kelman
    Senior Contributor, All About Jazz since 2004
    Freelance writer/photographer