Page 1 of 15 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Avant-prog binge 2022

Avant-prog binge 2022

Avant-prog binge 2022 is on! New thread for wonkiest and craziest sub-genre of progressive rock. And as always let's keep it broad. No need to stick to only progressive rock aspect of avantgarde.

I started year 2022 by listening Sebastian Fagerlund's (Finnish contemporary composer) chamber music album Oceano (2021). I believe many chamber-prog aficionados would enjoy this.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/

The first Rio album I played in 2022 is actually one from a band I cant get into while i really should dig them: Art Zoyd - Live at Rio 2015.

Still cant get into them. Too dark and heavy handed. I need a lighter and more playful note tossed in.

Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    Avant-prog binge 2022 is on! New thread for wonkiest and craziest sub-genre of progressive rock. And as always let's keep it broad. No need to stick to only progressive rock aspect of avantgarde.

I started year 2022 by listening Sebastian Fagerlund's (Finnish contemporary composer) chamber music album Oceano (2021). I believe many chamber-prog aficionados would enjoy this.
    I had heard the name but not any of the music. Well, what better day to try something new than New Year's Day?

I like this, will explore further. Thanks.
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

Mario Batkovic's album from last year, Introspectio, has really been growing on me:

“your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    The first Rio album I played in 2022 is actually one from a band I cant get into while i really should dig them: Art Zoyd - Live at Rio 2015.

Still cant get into them. Too dark and heavy handed. I need a lighter and more playful note tossed in.
    Ι can relate to this. I believe the first two albums contain a lighter, more anarchic element into them.

Quote Originally Posted by Mascodagama View Post
    Mario Batkovic's album from last year, Introspectio, has really been growing on me:

I have one Batkovic album. I like it although i rarely play it. I will check this new one out.

This weeks avant-binge:

Material : Memory Serves (US, 1981) ****
    Kultivator : Barndomens stigar (SE, 1981) ****
    Univers Zero : Ceux du Dehors (BE, 1981) *****
    Magma : Üdü Ẁüdü (FR, 1976) ***½
    October Equus : Presagios (ES, 2019) ****+
    Arnold Schönberg / Anton Webern: Ode To Napoleon, String Trio, Quartet Rondo, Piano Quintet (AU)
    Karl Naegelen / Sylvain Darrifourcq / Toma Gouband: Cartographie de Rythmes #1 (FR, 2021)
    Myrbein : Myrornas krig (SE, 1981) ****-

October Equus is a new band for me. Presagios is really nice album. Their style is very chamber-like and even though it is easy listening (for avant-prog anyway!) there is lots of detail and surprising twists to enjoy. And lots of bassoon! I just love the sound of bassoon. I would appreciate any insights about this band because I know almost nothing about them.
    Last edited by Kcrimso; 01-14-2022 at 05:35 PM.

^^^^^^^^^^

Memory Serves was the first ‘downtown sound’ album released by a major label. It wasn’t the first released, but it was still very early and very excellent, and, IMO, most of it still holds up very well, over 40 years later.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    ^^^^^^^^^^

Memory Serves was the first ‘downtown sound’ album released by a major label. It wasn’t the first released, but it was still very early and very excellent, and, IMO, most of it still holds up very well, over 40 years later.
    Yes it is very exciting album. Bill Laswell plays very funky but also quite complicated bass lines which I really enjoy. Great contributions from Fred Frith also!

How do you feel about later Material... eh material?

Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post

How do you feel about later Material... eh material?
    One Down blows

Seven Souls is pretty good

I stopped paying ANY attention after that. YMMV. Insert IMO if I have offended you.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

Memory Serves is indeed fucking awesome. For me, everything after ain't so very good (blows, perhaps?) Except Hallucination Engine. Totally different from the earlier stuff, but groovy in its own way.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick L. View Post
    Except Hallucination Engine. Totally different from the earlier stuff, but groovy in its own way.
    Don’t know it / Never heard it.

Laswell’s success rate for me, personally, is rather low. There are things that I like throughout all of the decades, but it’s a very small percentage of what is released, and I don’t go out of my way to hear his output. IMO.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

I'm pretty much with you. He definitely was involved in some cool shit, though. Nicky Skopelitis' Ekstasis album is another one that I super dig. Massacre, of course. And the Golden Palaminos debut. That's some solid shit.

^^^^^

The Ekstasis album is great.

The original one and done Massacre was SUPER great (I saw them twice).

Not particularly a fan of the Golden Ps, but I haven’t heard it in25-30 years
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

#dewd

Also, if you dig Ekstasis, you might wanna give Hallucination Engine a shot. There are some definite parallels conceptually/sound-wise.

Or not.

I also dig both Arcana albums. The Last Wave, which is free improv with Tony Williams and Derek Bailey and Arc of the Testimony. Both cool in different ways.

October Equus is a new band for me. Presagios is really nice album. Their style is very chamber-like and even though it is easy listening (for avant-prog anyway!) there is lots of detail and surprising twists to enjoy. And lots of bassoon! I just love the sound of bassoon. I would appreciate any insights about this band because I know almost nothing about them.
    There has been much discussion about October Equus on this site, so I would recommend doing a deep dive search. Also, no discussion of October Equus' work is even remotely complete without looking into the works of OE main man Angel Ontalva. Imo, all are pretty much essential, and the Ontalva releases are even better than the full band. It's all high end stuff, afaic. Not everything is currently available, so if you catch the bug like I did, I would recommend buying as many titles as you can, as soon as you can, as reissues can't be counted on.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Also, no discussion of October Equus' work is even remotely complete without looking into the works of OE main man Angel Ontalva. Imo, all are pretty much essential, and the Ontalva releases are even better than the full band. It's all high end stuff, afaic.
    Oh, wow! I will definitely check out the solo work of Angel Ontalva. Thanks!

One Down blows

Seven Souls is pretty good

I stopped paying ANY attention after that. YMMV. Insert IMO if I have offended you.
    One Down has some good song but yeah anything I have heard by Material after Memory Serves has not been as effective.

Ps. I am little bit offended.

Art Bears - The World As It Is Today

Been a while but what a lovely and (occasionally) frightening album. I really really enjoyed "Song of the Martyrs" too.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Art Bears - The World As It Is Today

Been a while but what a lovely and (occasionally) frightening album. I really really enjoyed "Song of the Martyrs" too.
    I have been listening The World As It Is Today in recent weeks a lot as I wrote little piece about it. It is not only my favourite Art Bears album but also one of my all time favourites. I sincerely think that Dagmar Krause's earth-shattering vocals and Fred Frith's weird guitar playing makes the "Freedom" one of the greatest moments in the history of recorded music. This is of course IMO as I don't want to offend any fans of Envy Of None's new single.

My The World As It Is Today review (in Finnish!): https://pienemmatpurot.com/levyarvio...is-today-1981/

Also, if you dig Ekstasis, you might wanna give Hallucination Engine a shot. There are some definite parallels conceptually/sound-wise.
    I will give a hearing to it.

I also dig both Arcana albums. The Last Wave, which is free improv with Tony Williams and Derek Bailey and Arc of the Testimony. Both cool in different ways.
    I heard the first one once when it came out and it didn't make an impression. I have a friend who loves these and I'll ask to hear them sometime.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

^^^^^
    The Ekstasis album is great.
    Ekstasis is a long term favorite of mine.

There are several other very strong contemporaneous (late 1980s) albums with a lot of the same players on them and that Laswell produced and often played on. I am a Ginger Baker fanatic; Laswell produced and played on Horses and Trees and Middle Passage for example. Both are really good. I credit Laswell with bringing together some great musicians with a vision of developing a unique funky, edgy world music sound. And he was quite successful with it, for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    Ekstasis is a long term favorite of mine.

There are several other very strong contemporaneous (late 1980s) albums with a lot of the same players on them and that Laswell produced and often played on. I am a Ginger Baker fanatic; Laswell produced and played on Horses and Trees and Middle Passage for example. Both are really good. I credit Laswell with bringing together some great musicians with a vision of developing a unique funky, edgy world music sound. And he was quite successful with it, for a while.

I like Horses and Trees and especially Middle Passage.
    I also like the Jonas Hellborg record he produced with Tony Williams a LOT.

Many of the AXIOM releases are some of my favorite Laswell. He never hit as many high spots as he seemed to with that particular imprint. Maybe it was the major label distribution and he didn't want to be lazy (Lazy is how I would characterize too many Laswell productions; they're fine, but I don't think he isn't trying very hard and is running on Laswell autopilot)

Can't forget the incredible Sonny Sharrock / Pharoah Sanders release he had a hand in too.

Just played Hallucination Engine. Some nice solos and some nice atmospheres, but, all-in-all, it feels like a typical 90s Laswell album to me and nothing more. Not bad at all, but it didn't grab me at all. At least not on one listen.

YMMV. Please only be a little bit offended. Thank you.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

P.S.

Now playing (and really enjoying & it's a Bill production)

Nicky Skopelitis & Raoul Björkenheim ‎– Revelator
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com