Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: News on new Tool album

News on new Tool album

It is not particularly good news.

http://www.progrockmag.com/news/tool...ys-adam-jones/
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Well as I wasn't really expecting them to get anything out anytime soon I guess I won't miss it.
    Ian

I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

The eons are closing
    When it does arrive and the subsequent tour begins, the set list should be:

1. <insert new album epic tune here>
    2. 10,000 Days (I and II)
    3. Lateralus
    4. Aenima
    5. Third Eye

encore:
    6. Opiate

Outro music: Disgustipated
    No one plans to take the path that brings you lower

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    I guess necessity is the mother of invention.

Well, at least it's still going to happen. Frustrating for me as a fan, but it's their band, and when they're ready I'll buy it the first day it's out. Perhaps this one will change things up a bit, which is a good thing.

neil

dang it i was looking forward to new tool this year oh well should seen this coming

After reading that, do they even like being a band any more? Do they even care about creating new music? I would think a musician would have a need to create. Very odd.

This band doesn't NEED to do anything any more monetarily and in terms of their "growth"...being at a Tool show now borders on the equivalent of being at a Dave Matthews Band show (the last time i saw them the audience were louder and more riotous than the actual band)...and this isn't a slag at either of them from a musical perspective because i like both but a) i probaaably won't see them live again happily and b) they can essentially rehash and reissue their sound over and over again and cry alllll the way to the bank.

i still would LOVE to be proven wrong and see them truly as, what i saw as a watershed of things to come but was grossly disappointed that they for the most part honed yet rested on their laurels with 10KD, Lateralus' title track says, "push the envelope" but not holding my breath...it'll still be good and well-crafted i'm sure but not as weird, gripping, or progressively different from other releases/formulas they've stuck to.
    Last edited by Haruspex Carnage; 03-19-2013 at 07:11 AM.

Tool guitarist Adam Jones says it’s “unfortunate” that it’s taking so long to finish a follow-up to 2006 album 10,000 Days ... Yet he insists it’s no bad thing, and vows that when their fifth record finally arrives, it will have been worth waiting for. ...

"everybody’s recovered and that process has actually added to us focusing on being creative. ... When it’s done it’s going to be good. And that’s the point – we’re not going to put out something that sucks just to put it out.”
    I'd call that good news.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiral View Post
    I'd call that good news.
    Agreed. I'd rather wait another five years if the end result is something the band feels is worth presenting.

Mind you, I'd also rather not wait another five years, but it'll take however long it takes...

i'll buy it soon as it happens. i'll go see them soon as they come.

Hey, I'm just happy it will actually happen. I'd written them off.

I'll take what Maynard is doing with his Puscifer project any day over new Tool output. I find it far more fresh and interesting (check out the last full-length, Conditions of My Parole....it's brilliant). The last couple of Tool albums have been too overblown and pretentious.

And if you're jonesing for Tool, check out the band Soen and their album Cognitive. Pure Tool worship, but with tight songwriting. Very good stuff (and features Opeth's former drummer).

^I will check that out. Thanks.

neil

The eons are closing
    Quote Originally Posted by mitchgx View Post
    The last couple of Tool albums have been too overblown and pretentious.
    So half of their albums are overblown and pretentious?
    I guess that means Third Eye & Disgustipated are more restrained and modest than their other tunes.....

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    So half of their albums are overblown and pretentious?
    2/5 actually. You might be forgetting Opiate (which, btw, is probably my favorite).

The eons are closing
    Opiate is considered an EP in the discography:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opiate_(EP)

And I too really dig Opiate.

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    Opiate is considered an EP in the discography:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opiate_(EP)

And I too really dig Opiate.
    OK, 2/4.75, or 42%, then.

So anyone going to pick up the limited edition of Opiate then (since it's getting so much love here)?

http://www.progrockmag.com/news/tool...rsary-edition/
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    anyone going to pick up the limited edition of Opiate then (since it's getting so much love here)?
    Not me (from what little info there is). There's no mention of any extra music, and I'm guessing something that limited is going to be super-expensive anyway.

Not me, either. I like Opiate well enough, but I don't think it compares to what they acieved later, and if there aren't a bunch of extra songs attached...

neil

Quote Originally Posted by mitchgx View Post
    I'll take what Maynard is doing with his Puscifer project any day over new Tool output. I find it far more fresh and interesting (check out the last full-length, Conditions of My Parole....it's brilliant). The last couple of Tool albums have been too overblown and pretentious.

And if you're jonesing for Tool, check out the band Soen and their album Cognitive. Pure Tool worship, but with tight songwriting. Very good stuff (and features Opeth's former drummer).
    To me what Maynard's doing could be HIGHLY impressive (and truth be told is something i'd like to do if i can ever get my shit together; a multimedia smorgasboard) but the music side of Puscifer (bar CoMP which i thought the best of the lot) really isn't that interesting (see mostly a huge miss) to me.

It must be really hard to get much done when you have to keep writing the same exact song over and over again. I liked Tool some at first, but boy the novelty wore off pretty fast, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    Never play slap bass around bears, you'll make them VERY angry.

you sound like the perfect candidat to explore the ozrics doscography

Quote Originally Posted by Cats On Glue View Post
    you sound like the perfect candidat to explore the ozrics doscography