Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Canterbury Binge: 2022

Quote Originally Posted by pb2015 View Post
    The Drop CD that MoonJune released is a good representation of the Phil Howard lineup, although I wouldn't mind having more. The late 1972 and 1973 Six/Seven era is a bit thinly documented other than the Six live album and the Hamburg set with guests - but I understand Cuneiform is putting out something from the Seven era too, later on.
    There are three tracks with Howard on the Hux recording of Soft Machine at the BBC 1971-1974 (As If, Drop and Frillsville) and Howard plays with Elton Dean's quintet (Blind Badger) and then with the Softs, including Robert Wyatt, on one track - Neo-Caliban Grides - on Soft Machine & Heavy Friends in Concert 1971 (Hux 067).
    Hit that long lunar note and let it float

Hatfield s/t LP

I wish the drums were mixed differently, especially the snare. Some of the snare hits seem almost buried at times. Aside from that its absolutely incredible, and virtually as great as Rotters for me. I love the "suite" nature of each side, how everything segues into the next mini musical adventure. Robert is brilliant on this as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Munster View Post
    There are three tracks with Howard on the Hux recording of Soft Machine at the BBC 1971-1974 (As If, Drop and Frillsville) and Howard plays with Elton Dean's quintet (Blind Badger) and then with the Softs, including Robert Wyatt, on one track - Neo-Caliban Grides - on Soft Machine & Heavy Friends in Concert 1971 (Hux 067).
    Yes, if I recall right "As If" and "Drop" were on the old 2 CD Softs BBC set that I have.

Parrots ripped my flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pb2015 View Post
    The Drop CD that MoonJune released is a good representation of the Phil Howard lineup, although I wouldn't mind having more.
    That's why I mentioned "good-sounding". Drop is a bit short of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    ^^^^^^^^

Laser Media label are not legit, the musicians (or their widows) are not being paid, and who knows so little about the band that a 1975 concert features a picture depicting Phil Howard, Elton and Hugh?

And it isn’t a radio broadcast either.
    The latter is confirmed by the one who almost certainly made the original (audience) recording which was used.

The Calyx-website mentions the 1975 Soft Machine-concert as follows:

[10] Enschede (Netherlands), Technische Hogeschool Twente
    http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr/softmachine/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Hatfield s/t LP

I wish the drums were mixed differently, especially the snare. Some of the snare hits seem almost buried at times. Aside from that its absolutely incredible, and virtually as great as Rotters for me. I love the "suite" nature of each side, how everything segues into the next mini musical adventure. Robert is brilliant on this as well.
    Same,
    Love the structure, almost like an adventure discovering every time a new path to follow and normally I listen to both sides...and yes the mix could have been better with more punch and space...still one of the best 70s records

Just got a near-mint copy of the first Matching Mole LP in the mail today. Finally!

Listening to it now; this one never gets old for me. Now if I could just find a Rotters' Club LP somewhere...
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Just got a near-mint copy of the first Matching Mole LP in the mail today. Finally!

Listening to it now; this one never gets old for me. me
    Good to hear the Matching Mole arrived. Your post reminded me of the time I bought that album. Way back in the early 70s I was living in a small South African city called Grahamstown. In those days the procedure was, having spotted a new album to buy in Melody Maker (which usually arrived a month or so after publication), to order it from the UK (Cob Records in Porthmadog, Wales). This process usually took about 12 weeks because everything was done by snail mail. This time, after the album had not arrived after about 16 weeks, I gave it up as lost, probably confiscated by overzealous South African customs officers (which was fairly common). And then, after about 18 weeks, the parcel suddenly arrived at my door with the words “Possibly in South Africa” scribbled on it. Apparently I had not written my address fully and the people at Cob assumed I lived in the Australian town of Grahamstown. When it got there, the Australians luckily directed it to South Africa and into my grateful hands. I can vividly remember opening the package and seeing that white cover with the two moles staring at each other and the pictures of the musicians on the back. Exquisite. Miraculously the cover was in pristine condition despite travelling half way around the world and back. The first track I played was ‘O Caroline’ and I was blown away by its beauty.
    Last edited by Munster; 2 Weeks Ago at 06:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post

Listening to it now; this one never gets old for me. Now if I could just find a Rotters' Club LP somewhere...
    Niiiice!

Quote Originally Posted by Munster View Post
    Good to hear the Matching Mole arrived. Your post reminded me of the time I bought that album. Way back in the early 70s I was living in a small South African city called Grahamstown. In those days the procedure was, having spotted a new album to buy in Melody Maker (which usually arrived a month or so after publication), to order it from the UK (Cob Records in Porthmadog, Wales). This process usually took about 12 weeks because everything was done by snail mail. This time, after the album had not arrived after about 16 weeks, I gave it up as lost, probably confiscated by overzealous South African customs officers (which was fairly common). And then, after about 18 weeks, the parcel suddenly arrived at my door with the words “Possibly in South Africa” scribbled on it. Apparently I had not written my address fully and the people at Cob assumed I lived in the Australian town of Grahamstown. When it got there, the Australians luckily directed it to South Africa and into my grateful hands. I can vividly remember opening the package and seeing that white cover with the two moles staring at each other and the pictures of the musicians on the back. Beautiful. Miraculously the cover was in pristine condition despite travelling half way around the world and back. The first track I played was ‘O Caroline’ and I was blown away by its beauty.
    Great story, man. Thanks for sharing.

I can only imagine what it must have been like at that time, the excitement of finally receiving the record after waiting all that time and then getting to hear it. "O Caroline" blew me away the first time I heard it too; those opening bars were just so beautiful. Not what I was expecting, but exactly what I wanted to hear.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I've been a bit slow getting going with the 2022 binge, but Gong's "You" is now playing. Reading peoples' recommendations of You to the people just beginning with Gong in the "I See You" thread is what made me choose to listen to this right now. My intro to Gong was reading the entry in the GEPR (Gibraltar Encyclopedia of Progressive Rock) and then buying You on CD. I'd already bought Angel's Egg some years before just because Hillage was on it (and I think I knew of Hillage because of the Nick Mason and Rundgren connections). But the entry in the GEPR is what really got me primed for the band. I was a little worried about how silly it all sounded with Gnomes, Pixies, etc., but I needn't have worried!
    Primary procreation is accomplished…

National Health Of Queues and Cures.....yep.

Soft Machine - Virtually

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    National Health Of Queues and Cures.....yep.
    Gotta queue this one up tonight. Spun the first NH last night. "Tenemos Roads" is such a gorgeous tune. Overall what a great album.

^^^^ I played the first National Health yesterday as well. Heading off to the coast to walk for a walk today - the Canterbury memory stick will get some attention on the way!
    'I would advise stilts for the quagmires"

Quote Originally Posted by Piskie View Post
    ^^^^ I played the first National Health yesterday as well. Heading off to the coast to walk for a walk today - the Canterbury memory stick will get some attention on the way!
    That sounds wonderful. Cornwall? Always wanted to visit that area.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

^^^ And lovely the coast was too - blue sky and sea with early daffodils and the scented gorse in bloom. My soundtrack for the trip was the wonderful Manna/ Mirage by the Muffins - an album I discovered from reading previous Canterbury binges. Meanwhile the Hatfield archive cds have arrived today!

Hugh Hopper - Hopper Tunity Box

^^^^ I love 'The Lonely Sea & The Sky off that album.
    Needless to say the two Hatfield archives cds have had a lot of attention since they arrived - has anyone written up a schedule of which track titles equate with the ones on the studio albums - Its a bugger trying to work them out. Anyway ocd issues aside they are superb!

Quote Originally Posted by Piskie View Post
    ^^^^ I love 'The Lonely Sea & The Sky off that album.
    Needless to say the two Hatfield archives cds have had a lot of attention since they arrived - has anyone written up a schedule of which track titles equate with the ones on the studio albums - Its a bugger trying to work them out. Anyway ocd issues aside they are superb!
    I suggest you check out the discography on my Calyx website, the "H" section has the Hatfield albums with the correct titles.
    https://www.calyx-canterbury.fr/
    Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/ + "King Crimson" (2012/updated 2018) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/kingcrimson/
    Canterbury & prog interviews - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdf...IUPxUMA/videos

^^ brilliant thanks! Checking your site was my next move!! :-)

Parrots ripped my flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Just received Nucleus:Live at the BBC, stuck it in the player and popped open a brown ale.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Just received Nucleus:Live at the BBC, stuck it in the player and popped open a brown ale.
    I really wanna get this, but then I keep thinking it's maybe too much and am I gonna listen to it all more than once. Let us know what you think!
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

Quote Originally Posted by Mascodagama View Post
    I really wanna get this, but then I keep thinking it's maybe too much and am I gonna listen to it all more than once. Let us know what you think!
    If you already have several Nucleus studio recordings (there are nine easily available) then I would recommend this boxset. If you don't, I would suggest you follow the studio path first. I say this because, while this is an excellent boxset, it is weighted heavily in favour of the early band (from 1970 to 1972) and then moves on largely to the post-1977 iteration of Nucleus (except for two BBC concerts from 1974 and 1975). While the early band was excellent, featuring Chris Spedding's guitar and songs written by Karl Jenkins, the music played between 1972 and 1977 (when In Flagranti Delicto was released) is also excellent. But that five-year period seems to have been ignored by the BBC. You can get the first nine studio albums directly from BGO for about £50. And then there is the Torrid Zone boxset of the first nine albums put out recently by Esoteric, which is cheaper still (about £30) but which is marred (IMO) by having the nine albums spread across just six CDs.
    If you have the studio albums, then, as I say, this is a great set. The early concerts, spread over four CDs, were superb. Then there are eight CDs covering the harder-to-get period of Nucleus, stretching from 1977 to 1991. These concerts are all beautifully recorded. And almost all the tracks from two very hard to get albums - Awakening and Live At The Theaterhaus, on Mood Records - can be heard via one session or another.
    Clearly, Nucleus was big news when it first formed; there were 11 sessions recorded for the BBC from March 1970 to October 1972. While it is great hearing this band in full flow, it does mean there is some repetition; for example, five versions of Song For The Bearded Lady. Luckily it is a great track and I never tire of hearing the various versions.

I noticed several people including Manna/Mirage's "Man Out of Time" on their Best of 2021 lists, and from one listen I could tell it was a very good album, interestingly straddling the avant and Canterbury worlds. But when I went to Bandcamp, I found that the physical CDs of all the band's albums including the latest were Sold Out! I checked Wayside and saw that they had the CD in stock, so I figured if I wanted it I'd better act fast, so I ordered it. It arrived today, and is spinning now. The CD very thoughtfully included a slip of paper with a Bandcamp download code for the album, so now it's in my Bandcamp collection too! I sometimes ask artists if they'll provide this if they sell the CD from their own site and the download from Bandcamp, but I've never asked an artist if I didn't buy the CD from them, so it's nice of Dave to just do that. And I guess Wayside, too, to be ok with it.

Anyway, I'm glad some people put the album on their lists or this album would have just slipped under the radar for me. I'm sort of wondering how the CD (which WAS a limited edition) sold out when I didn't read anything on PE aside from seeing the album in those lists? Was there much discussion of the album somewhere other than PE? Maybe Facebook.