Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast
Results 351 to 375 of 404

Thread: Canterbury Binge: 2022

  1. #351
    ^ Moe, man, I already had a fortune but unfortunately spent it all on those "meds" prescribed by SunRun-wuzzisname. And they only gave me an extra nipple anyway, or rather more like a swollen, nasty-looking monster wart with a long single hair sticking out of it and a lure at the end resembling a thin line for herring icefishing, which I don't care for.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

  2. #352
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Iowa City IA
    Posts
    2,054
    Quote Originally Posted by Piskie View Post
    Just picked up the Gong Live in Sherwood Forest 75 album. Very pleased with it. Mr Hillage in fine form.
    SF75 was an ear opener for me, regarding the "transitional" era of Gong. Hillage was very much a credible leader of Gong and I think his own concepts and lyrics were a good fit for a continuation of the original Gong idea.

    Don't know why exactly Hillage preferred a solo career instead of using the hugely talented Gong as his band (as he does on SF75), but I'm sure he had his reasons. Nonetheless SF75 is a great listen and great discovery.

  3. #353
    Member moecurlythanu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    The Planet Lovetron
    Posts
    10,998
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    ^ Moe, man, I already had a fortune but unfortunately spent it all on those "meds" prescribed by SunRun-wuzzisname. And they only gave me an extra nipple anyway, or rather more like a swollen, nasty-looking monster wart with a long single hair sticking out of it and a lure at the end resembling a thin line for herring icefishing, which I don't care for.
    And you call yourself Norwegian.

  4. #354
    Member TheH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    2,826
    Hatwise Choice and Hattitude by Hatfield and the North have been reissues so take your chance now :-)

  5. #355
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2021
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Posts
    565
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    RE; Moom. It's already been 23 lengthy years since their second and last release, Bone Idol. It might not necessarily appeal on first turn to each and every one, but let it sip in and dig dynamics, energies and delicate chemistry for what they were; The sound of a band truly at ease with challenging their own chosen ground. It brings back a lot of good memories.
    Someone recommended Moom to me in another thread because I like Magic Bus, and I'd never heard of them. Listened to the first ten minutes of Bone Idol at the link you posted and it's quite lovely. Jammy and exploratory but never in a way that feels dull or unfocused, wonderful interplay. Looks like a physical copy isn't really affordable in the States but I've picked up a digital copy and I'm looking forward to listening to it more.

  6. #356
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    RE; Moom. It's already been 23 lengthy years since their second and last release, Bone Idol. It might not necessarily appeal on first turn to each and every one, but let it sip in and dig dynamics, energies and delicate chemistry for what they were; The sound of a band truly at ease with challenging their own chosen ground. It brings back a lot of good memories.




    Boy, do I remember cruising around in a VW Golf Joker with my young missus and our little kid that summer ('99) and droning this sucker as we passed the Cornwall landscape en route to St. Ives. I recall this spinning as my then wife and I were on our way to catch a performance of ol' Willy's The Merry Wives of Windsor at the awesome Minack Theatre in Porthcurno, a stunning amphi literally carved out from upper coastal cliffs and overlooking the majestics of the sea a long drop below.

    One should consider oneself lucky to find a better half who not only -tolerates- strange preferences in arts and musics but indeed actually invites them. We had a large array of CDs casually filling up the inside doors of the car and donning cracked, dirty plastic covers. Titles by Laurie Anderson (hers), Kate Bush (hers), Anja Garbarek (hers), The Residents (hers), Steeleye Span (hers), Liz Phair (hers), The Future Sound of London (hers), Electric Orange (mine), Soft Machine (mine), After Dinner/Haco (mine), Family (mine), Ramlösa Kvällar (mine), Mellow Candle (mine) and Stick Men (the avant-punk Philadelphians; mine) plus some 30-40 more. Among them Bone Idol.

    Why divorce such a wife? Well, she was the only one of us with a driver's license at the time. So she kinda fed up with all the services expected. I suppose that's how it started, anyway. With her yelling viciously at me for being a lousy mapreader whilst Archimedes' Badkar farted a balalaika soundtrack at full throttle.
    Never change, Richard. I love your contributions and all your various digressions.
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

  7. #357
    Member Piskie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Location
    Cornwall
    Posts
    486
    A question for whoever might know -re the first National Health album - I have the Decal cd from 1990 -does the Esoteric reissue have significantly improved sound?
    'I would advise stilts for the quagmires"

  8. #358
    Quote Originally Posted by Piskie View Post
    A question for whoever might know -re the first National Health album - I have the Decal cd from 1990 -does the Esoteric reissue have significantly improved sound?
    I can only compare the Esoteric reissue with the LP-version and the version on Complete. Because the LP is very long, the dynamics are improved on the CD's; the Esoteric version sounds very fresh to me.

  9. #359
    Member Piskie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Location
    Cornwall
    Posts
    486
    ^^^ Thank you.
    'I would advise stilts for the quagmires"

  10. #360
    This is an amazing thread. My collection of Canterbury is truly small compared to P.E. members and it's fascinating to read the comments from members regarding Canterbury style bands that I truly know nothing about.

    I have things like Gilgamesh which is one of my favorite bands. I have their first 2 albums plus Arriving Twice which is a must.

    I have Matching Mole, Soft Machine, Caravan, Egg, National Health, Hatfield And The North and Robert Wyatt..but I have never learned about so many different Canterbury bands on a website before. This place is amazing. The members of P.E. are serious collectors and are very knowledgeable.

  11. #361
    Member chalkpie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Posts
    7,171
    If you search back we've been doing Canterbury binge threads for a while...I think we even did them before PE switched to 2.0 to keep them on file. It would be really fun to have all of these conversations/threads in a book!

  12. #362
    Member moecurlythanu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    The Planet Lovetron
    Posts
    10,998
    ^ Enidi (did you used to post as Enid in prior times?) Your posts are also fascinating, especially when you post about the 70s and your experiences as a traveling musician. Don't sell yourself short, you have a lot to add here, and it's appreciated.

  13. #363
    Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    ^ Enidi (did you used to post as Enid in prior times?) Your posts are also fascinating, especially when you post about the 70s and your experiences as a traveling musician. Don't sell yourself short, you have a lot to add here, and it's appreciated.
    Thanks Moe...very kind of you . Yes I used to post as Enid.

  14. #364
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    183
    ^^^^^^
    Gotta agree with Moe!
    Enidi, can you name the groups/musicians you toured with?

  15. #365
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2021
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Posts
    565
    Quote Originally Posted by Enidi View Post
    This is an amazing thread. My collection of Canterbury is truly small compared to P.E. members and it's fascinating to read the comments from members regarding Canterbury style bands that I truly know nothing about.

    I have things like Gilgamesh which is one of my favorite bands. I have their first 2 albums plus Arriving Twice which is a must.

    I have Matching Mole, Soft Machine, Caravan, Egg, National Health, Hatfield And The North and Robert Wyatt..but I have never learned about so many different Canterbury bands on a website before. This place is amazing. The members of P.E. are serious collectors and are very knowledgeable.
    As a relative newcomer here, I totally second this thought. It's both heartening and overwhelming to know there's this much good music out there that I've never encountered.

  16. #366
    Member Piskie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Location
    Cornwall
    Posts
    486
    I agree with the comment above. I haver read all the threads several times, discovered new bands and bought a good few albums as a result, including Gilgamesh, the Muffins Supersister, Henry Cow, Mainstream, National Health to name a few. The discussions have also lead my off on related tangents into Zappa and who knows where next :-)
    Last edited by Piskie; 08-10-2022 at 04:23 AM.

  17. #367
    I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    8,826
    Listening to Wring Out The Ground (Loosely Now) from Egg - The Metronimical Society and it has a repeated note that sounds exactly like my dishwasher when it finishes its cycle. Now I keep wanting to get up to switch the dishwasher off and I can't get it out of my head. Aaaaarrrgghhh.
    Ian

    Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

    Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

  18. #368
    Member rcarlberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    6,759
    On the good side, now all your spoons and bowls are clean.

  19. #369
    Member Hunchentootz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2021
    Location
    Gig Harbor
    Posts
    207
    Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Listening to Wring Out The Ground (Loosely Now) from Egg - The Metronimical Society and it has a repeated note that sounds exactly like my dishwasher when it finishes its cycle. Now I keep wanting to get up to switch the dishwasher off and I can't get it out of my head. Aaaaarrrgghhh.
    HAHA!
    Artist formerly known as Phlakaton

  20. #370
    Insect Overlord Progatron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    southern Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    5,847
    I feel like Andy Tillison of The Tangent might have been influenced by this piece (there's a better version on the album Hooligan Romance, but it's not on YT) :

    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

    'The best stuff is really when Mick Pointer was a baby, banging on pots and pans. That was their most "out there" stuff.' - JKL2000

  21. #371
    Insect Overlord Progatron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    southern Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    5,847
    Currently spinning this 1994 disc from Hugh Hopper. It's not particularly well known in his catalogue but it's an old favourite of mine. That was an odd time for musicians of his ilk - and it shows - but it's great stuff! It's a shame more people don't know it. Probably pretty tough to find this one now.

    cd.jpg
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

    'The best stuff is really when Mick Pointer was a baby, banging on pots and pans. That was their most "out there" stuff.' - JKL2000

  22. #372
    Member Piskie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Location
    Cornwall
    Posts
    486
    ^ nice mug!

  23. #373
    Insect Overlord Progatron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    southern Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    5,847
    R.I.P. Trevor Tomkins, splendid and jazzy drummer. Tonight I shall spin not only Gilgamesh's Another Fine Tune..., but the Before A Word Is Said album, always worth another mention in these threads.

    trevor tomkins.jpg
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

    'The best stuff is really when Mick Pointer was a baby, banging on pots and pans. That was their most "out there" stuff.' - JKL2000

  24. #374
    Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    R.I.P. Trevor Tomkins, splendid and jazzy drummer. Tonight I shall spin not only Gilgamesh's Another Fine Tune..., but the Before A Word Is Said
    His input on both is stupendous. Imagine being presented with the charts of "Darker Brighter" and deemed the challenge of coming up with a fitting grip on that intricate knot towards the end. Tomkins somehow walks with it as well as through it, just as expected from someone who was a profound jazzer at heart.



    There's also that thick kompot of crashing cymbals and tam attack on "Reflexes In the Margin" from the outstanding Before A Word Is Said. Damn, he was good and so right for this setting.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

  25. #375
    Member Steve F.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Fluffy Cloud
    Posts
    4,821
    Rest in peace, Trevor Tompkins.
    Steve F.

    www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

    “Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

    Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

    "Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

    please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •