Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Canterbury Binge: 2022

Canterbury Binge: 2022

File under: Machine molles who grow plump in the night

Well, it was another horrid year for man and nature alike, including some rough seas in the lives of some friends here at PE. And as the wicked bells of time toll relentlessly this New Year's Eve, I dash into the outstretched arms of music for comfort... and comfort it brings.

(There's also a lot of wine at the ready, but that's neither here nor there.)

So welcome, all ye faithful, to Canterbury Binge 2022. Allow the wonders of this treasured genre to blanket and settle around you like quietly falling midnight snow, bringing calm and restoring order. Here endeth the engorged insanity of The Holidays (as well as the dizzying pinballing between numerous musical 'phases', if you're anything like I am). As I believe the poet John Keats once said: 'Time to get all Kentish up in this bitch'.

We begin this new dawn with Messrs. Gowen, Miller, Sinclair, & Tomkins delivering the title track to their brilliant 1981 platter, recorded shortly before Alan Gowen unfairly departed us at a frightfully young age. As with all such losses, one ponders what might have been in the decades since. This album is no stranger to the Canterbury discussions here and a handful of other places, but in the wider world remains a bit of a lost gem. I chose this piece because it seems to reflect the ominous gloom many of us have felt over the last two years balanced with faint wisps of cautious hope. It's a track of stunning beauty to my ears.

Happy new year to all of you. I enjoy you.

Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

^ I actually listened to this one just this very afternoon!

We've spoken about this so many times before, but Before A Word Is Said remains arguably the final "classic era" full-on Canterbury record, at least for me; not rock nor jazz or fusion yet somehow all together and the more British for it. And it's so damn -dark- in tone and spirit. Even when it attempts to not be.

You simply can't beat the overall atmosphere and allusional dimensions of this:
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

^^^ Before A Word Is Said has been on my wish list for some time- physical copies seem to be like hen's teeth - so I may have to go with a download....but I keep putting it off!
    'I would advise stilts for the quagmires"

Quote Originally Posted by Piskie View Post
    ^^^ Before A Word Is Said has been on my wish list for some time- physical copies seem to be like hen's teeth - so I may have to go with a download....but I keep putting it off!
    Indeed, only pricey secondhand copies out there. What an ideal candidate for reissue. Wouldn't even need any expanding or bells and whistles, perhaps just a nice booklet with a modern writeup or something.

I notice the defunct Kinesis has a copy available on Discogs, it's one of the only half-decent prices you'll find.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

The full album is up on Youtube I see - I shall make do with that for the time being. Listening to it all they way through for the first time right now and it is as good as I expected.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Jeez, I would have thought I had this on CD, but looking at the cover, I’m now not at all sure. Well, a good choice to wring out the old year and ring in the new! 2021 was largely forgettable for me aside from the shitstorm raging around, so 2022 can’t come fast enough. The older I get, the earlier I want to go to sleep on New Years Eve. Let’s just get on with it!

Excited for this as always. I'm starting with Wyatt this year and then some Ayers. Happy 2022 lads and ladies.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Excited for this as always. I'm starting with Wyatt this year and then some Ayers. Happy 2022 lads and ladies.
    Rock Bottom and Joy Of A Toy? I only ask because I have them both pulled from the shelves in anticipation of the days to come.

Received my copy of Gong's "Live à Longlaville" today and been spinnin' this. Very enjoyable, and even what I expected to be a bitter disappointment - "Isle of Everywhere" being cut not even halfway through has been made almost poetic by subtle use of reverb and other effects, as if the band had simply vanished to another dimension.
    Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/ + "King Crimson" (2012/updated 2018) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/kingcrimson/
    Canterbury & prog interviews - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdf...IUPxUMA/videos

^^^ Perfectly put! I found it a very satisfying and special Gong album.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Indeed, only pricey secondhand copies out there.
    While it's probably not among the cheapest from that label, stuff from Europa (like Greaves/Blegvad's immortal classic Kew. Rhone) -DO- tend to pop up now and again in secondhand stores and at fairs etc., but I don't think the price will be the main prob - rather the availability to start with. I come across other releases from Europa, but the only time I've found Before A Word Is Said was when Tormod Opedal (of Panorama at Nesodden a ferryride outside of Oslo) offered it in his catalog and I promptly got it. I believe I paid some 20$ for it back then, in 1999.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    We've spoken about this so many times before, but Before A Word Is Said remains arguably the final "classic era" full-on Canterbury record, at least for me; not rock nor jazz or fusion yet somehow all together and the more British for it. And it's so damn -dark- in tone and spirit. Even when it attempts to not be.
    Interesting that I guess that means D.S. Al Coda by National Health is not full-on Canterbury. The new gear (Dave Stewart's synths, Pip Pyle's Simmons drums) distances it from that sound, I guess.

I haven't given a close listen to Before A Word.. yet but I do find a dark mood in Gowen's other music from around that time, and also in Phil Miller's.

Quote Originally Posted by pb2015 View Post
    Interesting that I guess that means D.S. Al Coda by National Health is not full-on Canterbury. The new gear (Dave Stewart's synths, Pip Pyle's Simmons drums) distances it from that sound, I guess.
    Very much distances it from ‘that sound’, at least for me. I love all those players, and those are mostly great tunes, but I find that album so brittle and cold; and ‘brittle and cold’ are not terms I associate with the Canterbury scene…
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Rock Bottom and Joy Of A Toy? I only ask because I have them both pulled from the shelves in anticipation of the days to come.
    Yep! Those are the ones.

Just got back from visiting my family in Rochester....scored a 1971 US London In The Land of Grey and Pink. Oh man does this sound glorious! Very clean copy too (so far!). Love the drum sound, especially the kick drum. And Dave's fuzz!

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    scored a 1971 US London In The Land of Grey and Pink.
    Nice! The inner gatefold photo (which they've since used a few times for various compilations) is one of my all time favourite band photos.

Got a copy of Third to kick off the binge for myself here tonight. And a bottle of Zinfandel to go along with it.

Wyatt and Ayers are so good too, I will have to fit those in as well.

Now if only the weather here would get cold.
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Got a copy of Third to kick off the binge for myself here tonight. And a bottle of Zinfandel to go along with it.
    Third is one of the greatest albums in history, full stop. I love a good Zin too, provided it's well made and not just overtly jammy.

Third is one of the greatest albums in history, full stop. I love a good Zin too, provided it's well made and not just overtly jammy.
    For sure, one of the greatest. I love Third so, so much…

When it comes to wine I’m very much a novice. The zin I picked up is called The Federalist, and to me it tastes pretty good. I’d definitely like to know of any better ones though.

Off to visit relatives across the border in Devon today. I have memory stick of favourite Canterbury albums in the car!

Starting off the day late with The first Soft Machine album…

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Before A Word Is Said remains arguably the final "classic era" full-on Canterbury record, at least for me; not rock nor jazz or fusion yet somehow all together and the more British for it. And it's so damn -dark- in tone and spirit. Even when it attempts to not be.
    Perfect album for this very cold, dreary midwestern New Year's Day!

Back in the early/mid 10's I had a laptop that somehow lasted 6-7 years. Not long before it gave up its ghost, I realized that Windows Media Player kept track of how many times you listened to each CD. I checked the play counts of my 50 or so CDs I had on there and Before A Word Is Said was #1 with 151 full plays. I think this morning will be my first full listen since the demise of that machine.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    One of my NYE spins last night. Good times indeed!

NP: Camel - A Live Record (Snow Goose disk)

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Oh, good choice!

Last night it was Third for me, followed by Caravan's If I Could Do It All Over Again..., and then the first Hatfield. Gonna queue up Before A Word Is Said this morning, as I've never heard that one.

I have a headache this morning (ahem) and this is my choice of New Year's Day music as I require a delicate, laid back vibe. I love the gentle Rhodes and Moog paired with Hopper's soft bass tone. These two together really were remarkable IMO. Divine.

This album is much easier to come by and can be bought from Wayside on CD or digital.