Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Canterbury Binge: 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Mascodagama View Post
    It was a talent show with celebrity judging panel. Pure shite, basically.
    Have you ever been Hughie Green?

(Hughie Green was no Eamonn Andrews, btw)

Quote Originally Posted by Piskie View Post
    Enjoying the Hatfield rarities cds very much. Not sure if you international fans would recognise 'Hatwise Choice' as a play on 'Housewife's Choice' which was a BBC radio programme long long ago....a diet of light music and popular tunes..
    Ah yes! I'm English (and old) but I'd completely forgotten about that show until you mentioned it!

Well, with this blizzard I feel a strong urge for coffee, robe n' slippers, and Canterbury. Kicking things off with The Polite Force, with National Health and John Greaves' Songs lined up in the batter's box.

I've also got John G. Perry's Seabird bookmarked on YT (I don't own it, but would like to). I wish he had done more albums.

Someone is cross-country skiing down our street right now, I guess he's confident there will be no traffic.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

'The best stuff is really when Mick Pointer was a baby, banging on pots and pans. That was their most "out there" stuff.' - JKL2000

^ Cranking Polite Force here too (again). Maybe the skier is spinning Canterbury on his earbuds?

REALLY enjoyed Zopp again. Of all of the modern day Canterbury influenced albums, this thing sits near the top for me. They really nail the vibe and soul imo. Yes, its different from the classics, but it has its own thing too.

Man, this is achingly beautiful.

Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

'The best stuff is really when Mick Pointer was a baby, banging on pots and pans. That was their most "out there" stuff.' - JKL2000

Quote Originally Posted by TCC View Post
    np:

Hello Gang!.
    Right now, I'm playing for the 3rd time "To the Highest Bidder": WoW!

A couple of "winners" without a doubt and it's been so many years since I heard these great albums, thanks "Mr. Canterbury Binge 2022"

Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Man, this is achingly beautiful.

Agree 100%
    Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    NP:

Hatfield And The North - Hatwise Choice vol. 1 (original pressing! I bought these back when they were new, but for some reason didn't listen to them very much at all. Sometimes it's the NEXT reissue of an album[s] that gets me listening to the reissue or repressing that I have!)
    Last edited by JKL2000; 01-17-2022 at 12:36 PM.
    Primary procreation is accomplished…

Quote Originally Posted by alanterrill View Post
    'Digital copies are of course available'? Where? My point was that only the latest one is available as a download on Bandcamp, not the other three.
    Ok, I see what you mean, I was mistaken about the digital copies of the previous three. Sorry to get your hopes up!

So, over the last 48 hours I've played Master Cylinder, National Heath (Missing Pieces) Moving Gelatine Plates (s/t), the Hatfield rarities, and Supersister (Present from Nancy)
    'I would advise stilts for the quagmires"

Parrots ripped my flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    The Nucleus Live at the BBC box has given me a better appreciation for the latter-day incarnations of the band.
    I think I like the 10th disc the most, which is all improvs.

Quote Originally Posted by Piskie View Post
    So, over the last 48 hours I've played Master Cylinder, National Heath (Missing Pieces) Moving Gelatine Plates (s/t), the Hatfield rarities, and Supersister (Present from Nancy)
    What is the Moving Gelatine Plates album called "Removing?" A compilation? Rerecordings? From 2009.

National Health - Missing Pieces (This is the National Health I've listened to the most. I played it over and over back when I first got it. In fact, it might be the first one I bought. As far as the other albums, I bought that National Health - Complete back around the same time, and never had the separate albums. So to me the three main, studio albums are all like one big album for me. I don't know which songs are from which albums. I'm kind of ok with that. Ok enough that I never even considered buying the separate albums.

The essay in National Health - Complete is the usual combination of informative and very funny. It gives some great accounts of the band's earliest days and final days. Do the best releases of the separate albums have anything I'm missing out on as far as liner notes? I hadn't ever thought of that!

^^^^ No sleeve notes at all with my copies! I only have a rip of DC Al Coda mind you. I love Missing Pieces greatly. As I said in an early post Mont being on it gives it more Egg dna.

Regarding the Moving Gelatine Plates 'Removing' I think it was an album they did when reformed in 1980 called 'Moving' in my sleeve notes. The cds I have of the first to albums split it across them as bonus tracks.

I had the National Health s/t LP before getting the Complete double CD. The CD has the full credits from those albums so you're only missing (most of) the band photos and artwork.

If you can still find it, the Playtime CD has Aymeric Leroy's usual thorough report about the 1979/80 lineup minus Dave Stewart, as well as a bit about the short-lived post-Queues lineup with Dave, Georgie Born and Lindsay Cooper.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post

The essay in National Health - Complete is the usual combination of informative and very funny. It gives some great accounts of the band's earliest days and final days. Do the best releases of the separate albums have anything I'm missing out on as far as liner notes? I hadn't ever thought of that!
    The liner notes from the Esoteric Recordings-releases are by Sid Smith.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    I have a headache this morning (ahem) and this is my choice of New Year's Day music as I require a delicate, laid back vibe. I love the gentle Rhodes and Moog paired with Hopper's soft bass tone. These two together really were remarkable IMO. Divine.

This album is much easier to come by and can be bought from Wayside on CD or digital.

Although I bought the National Health-albums when they were released (and later the Hatfield & The North-LP's) and loved Alan Gowen's keyboard-playing I never got Two Rainbows Daily. Based on your words ("delicate, laid back vibe") I listened to some tracks and ordered this. It arrived today (b.t.w. it was an international affair, so I guess the Dutch shop ordered it from Cuneiform's European distributor directly), sealed and all. Your words are so true. Lovely stuff. Don't know if I will play the live-bonuscuts often too though. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by pb2015 View Post
    I had the National Health s/t LP before getting the Complete double CD. The CD has the full credits from those albums so you're only missing (most of) the band photos and artwork.

If you can still find it, the Playtime CD has Aymeric Leroy's usual thorough report about the 1979/80 lineup minus Dave Stewart, as well as a bit about the short-lived post-Queues lineup with Dave, Georgie Born and Lindsay Cooper.
    I've got Playtime! Will have to revisit Aymeric's essay in there.

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    The liner notes from the Esoteric Recordings-releases are by Sid Smith.
    Looking at a scan of the National Health s/t CD liner notes I see that he spelled the title of the first song correctly but elsewhere they spelled it "Thermos Roads."

I love Mont's vibrato.

^^^ Do you have Mont's two solo albums? - I recently picked them up - not Canterbury- but interesting world influenced music. As with his earlier stuff I suspect it takes while to get to appreciate, so I've not formed a full opinion of them yet.

Quote Originally Posted by pb2015 View Post
    Looking at a scan of the National Health s/t CD liner notes I see that he spelled the title of the first song correctly but elsewhere they spelled it "Thermos Roads."
    I don't have this particular reissue (only Sid's notes which he asked me to factcheck at the time), but as I remember it, the misspelling occurs (most embarrassingly) on the back cover of the CD. This certainly wasn't Sid's fault. It's a mistake only someone unfamiliar with the music and the song could have made.
    Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/ + "King Crimson" (2012/updated 2018) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/kingcrimson/
    Canterbury & prog interviews - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdf...IUPxUMA/videos

^^^ Calyx -please, how is you Canterbury book translation coming along?

Quote Originally Posted by calyx View Post
    I don't have this particular reissue (only Sid's notes which he asked me to factcheck at the time), but as I remember it, the misspelling occurs (most embarrassingly) on the back cover of the CD. This certainly wasn't Sid's fault. It's a mistake only someone unfamiliar with the music and the song could have made.
    Esoteric also made a mistake with the cover of OQAC: one of the sides has: NATIONAL HEALTH . National Health; the other side is ok.