Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Canterbury Binge: 2022

Quote Originally Posted by noisynoise View Post
    I got Egg The Polite Force on CD for Christmas after only having a cassette copy for years. I can't have enough Dave Stewart!
    One of the greatest albums, not just in Canterbury. Dave's key/organ sounds are the best. Playing is ridiculous.

I played Picchio Dal Pozzo- 'Abbiamo Tutti I Suoi Problemi' this afternoon - I suspect it really belongs over in the Avant-prog binge. Not had it that long and haven't made my mind up about it yet. Egg I have made my mind up about so I'll stick on the Polite Force now as well!
    'I would advise stilts for the quagmires"

I played Quiet Sun - Mainstream an hour ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    I played Quiet Sun - Mainstream an hour ago.
    Absolutely glorious album.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

'The best stuff is really when Mick Pointer was a baby, banging on pots and pans. That was their most "out there" stuff.' - JKL2000

I spun Supersister's twofer last night
    lovely vibe

Listening to “Mumps” currently.
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    One of the greatest albums, not just in Canterbury. Dave's key/organ sounds are the best. Playing is ridiculous.
    The Polite Force is great, for sure. Newport Hospital is such a killer tune. I love when the heavy intro gives way to those classic Dave Stewart chords. Perfecto.

On the subject of Egg, whilst Dave Stewart is central to the sound I do like Mont Campbells songwriting, he certainly resonates with me and I think this song from the first album is my favourite
    https://youtu.be/m8mjkzGHwZ8

Quote Originally Posted by Piskie View Post
    On the subject of Egg, whilst Dave Stewart is central to the sound I do like Mont Campbells songwriting, he certainly resonates with me and I think this song from the first album is my favourite
    https://youtu.be/m8mjkzGHwZ8
    Great call....probably my fav from the s/t as well. "Absorbed" totally embodies the Canterbury sound so beautifully.

Getting more snow today . Cleaning the house and listening to Gilgamesh- Arriving Twice, National Health- Missing Pieces, Caravan- If I Could Do It All Over Again, Matching Mole ( 1st), Egg- The Polite Force, Hatfield and the North....

Quote Originally Posted by Enidi View Post
    Getting more snow today . Cleaning the house and listening to Gilgamesh- Arriving Twice, National Health- Missing Pieces, Caravan- If I Could Do It All Over Again, Matching Mole ( 1st), Egg- The Polite Force, Hatfield and the North....
    Now that's a solid Canterbury lineup!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

'The best stuff is really when Mick Pointer was a baby, banging on pots and pans. That was their most "out there" stuff.' - JKL2000

Thanks Progatron!! I love this music!

^^^^^ I'm especially fond of Missing Pieces. Before I had tracked that one down I'd always thought of National Health as an instrumental extension of Hatfield and the North- however Missing Pieces, with Mont Campbell on board sounds more like a follow up to the direction that Egg were taking on The Civil Surface. Shame they couldn't keep him in the band for longer!

For a while the only pre-debut NH I had was the 90 seconds of "Paracelsus" on the Complete 2CD, and a boot tape of the "Clocks And Clouds"/"Brujo" BBC session, so the Missing Pieces CD was an autobuy.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Now that's a solid Canterbury lineup!
    +2! Amazing list.

This arrived in the post a couple days ago- my most recent Canterbury cd purchase

This arrived in the post a couple days ago- my most recent Canterbury cd purchase
    Utterly amazing album. One of my favorites from that period. It mixes very well the jazz leanings of Elton Dean with the introspective and colorful playing of Alan Gowen. Not to mention Hugh Hopper's steady pulse and obtuse drones. Excellent. I assume you are already familiar with Soft Heap's album. If not, that would be the next logical step, IMO.

What a unique talent we lost in Elton. So sad to think that none of the guys on this record are still with us.
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

Not Canterbury really, but one of my favourite albums with Elton:

Also featuring the wonderfully melodic upright bass player Enrico Fazio. If anyone enjoys his playing here I highly recommend the album Euphoria by the Enrico Fazio Quintet.
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

There is so much Canterbury I don't have . Soft Heap for one! I am curious about Soft Heap . Two Rainbows Daily is interesting. The new Gong live release Live Longaville has to be good. I have the box set Love From Planet Gong, E'st Mort, and the studio recordings so why not right? I have two Robert Wyatt cds. Shame on me. I have Rock Bottom and Ruth Is Stranger Than Richard. Which albums in his catalog would you recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by Enidi View Post
    I have two Robert Wyatt cds. Shame on me. I have Rock Bottom and Ruth Is Stranger Than Richard. Which albums in his catalog would you recommend?
    Shleep is a strong album IMO, and would be my recommendation. Somewhat the yin to Rock Bottom's yang in the sense that it is so much more on the positive side of what Wyatt does/did. Old Rottenhat and Dondestan both feature greatness, but bear in mind they are true solo albums (i.e. no other musicians) and the resulting limitation of sounds can be off-putting to some listeners.

Shleep is a strong album IMO, and would be my recommendation. Somewhat the yin to Rock Bottom's yang in the sense that it is so much more on the positive side of what Wyatt does/did. Old Rottenhat and Dondestan both feature greatness, but bear in mind they are true solo albums (i.e. no other musicians) and the resulting limitation of sounds can be off-putting to some listeners.
    Thank you Progatron! I'm looking into those.

^^^ I don't think Robert Wyatt has done a bad album - though I struggle with The End Of An Ear. The two Matching Mole studios are excellent of course.

^ Spot on with this. Shleep might actually be my fav after Rock and Ruth, although Rottenhat has really grown on me over the years too. Totally brilliant artist with a strong English vibe who adjusted his musical trajectory beautifully after his accident.

Got The Soft Machine spinning now. What a great song "Lullabye Letter" is.

Last Monday it snowed and I spent a good chunk of the afternoon relaxing on the couch, looking out the window while letting the entire Land of Grey and Pink deluxe 2-disc set play on the living room speakers. This music is perfect for the winter time.