Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415

Thread: Canterbury Binge: 2022

^ Moe, man, I already had a fortune but unfortunately spent it all on those "meds" prescribed by SunRun-wuzzisname. And they only gave me an extra nipple anyway, or rather more like a swollen, nasty-looking monster wart with a long single hair sticking out of it and a lure at the end resembling a thin line for herring icefishing, which I don't care for.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Piskie View Post
    Just picked up the Gong Live in Sherwood Forest 75 album. Very pleased with it. Mr Hillage in fine form.
    SF75 was an ear opener for me, regarding the "transitional" era of Gong. Hillage was very much a credible leader of Gong and I think his own concepts and lyrics were a good fit for a continuation of the original Gong idea.

Don't know why exactly Hillage preferred a solo career instead of using the hugely talented Gong as his band (as he does on SF75), but I'm sure he had his reasons. Nonetheless SF75 is a great listen and great discovery.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    ^ Moe, man, I already had a fortune but unfortunately spent it all on those "meds" prescribed by SunRun-wuzzisname. And they only gave me an extra nipple anyway, or rather more like a swollen, nasty-looking monster wart with a long single hair sticking out of it and a lure at the end resembling a thin line for herring icefishing, which I don't care for.
    And you call yourself Norwegian.

Hatwise Choice and Hattitude by Hatfield and the North have been reissues so take your chance now :-)

RE; Moom. It's already been 23 lengthy years since their second and last release, Bone Idol. It might not necessarily appeal on first turn to each and every one, but let it sip in and dig dynamics, energies and delicate chemistry for what they were; The sound of a band truly at ease with challenging their own chosen ground. It brings back a lot of good memories.
    Someone recommended Moom to me in another thread because I like Magic Bus, and I'd never heard of them. Listened to the first ten minutes of Bone Idol at the link you posted and it's quite lovely. Jammy and exploratory but never in a way that feels dull or unfocused, wonderful interplay. Looks like a physical copy isn't really affordable in the States but I've picked up a digital copy and I'm looking forward to listening to it more.

RE; Moom. It's already been 23 lengthy years since their second and last release, Bone Idol. It might not necessarily appeal on first turn to each and every one, but let it sip in and dig dynamics, energies and delicate chemistry for what they were; The sound of a band truly at ease with challenging their own chosen ground. It brings back a lot of good memories.

Boy, do I remember cruising around in a VW Golf Joker with my young missus and our little kid that summer ('99) and droning this sucker as we passed the Cornwall landscape en route to St. Ives. I recall this spinning as my then wife and I were on our way to catch a performance of ol' Willy's The Merry Wives of Windsor at the awesome Minack Theatre in Porthcurno, a stunning amphi literally carved out from upper coastal cliffs and overlooking the majestics of the sea a long drop below.

One should consider oneself lucky to find a better half who not only -tolerates- strange preferences in arts and musics but indeed actually invites them. We had a large array of CDs casually filling up the inside doors of the car and donning cracked, dirty plastic covers. Titles by Laurie Anderson (hers), Kate Bush (hers), Anja Garbarek (hers), The Residents (hers), Steeleye Span (hers), Liz Phair (hers), The Future Sound of London (hers), Electric Orange (mine), Soft Machine (mine), After Dinner/Haco (mine), Family (mine), Ramlösa Kvällar (mine), Mellow Candle (mine) and Stick Men (the avant-punk Philadelphians; mine) plus some 30-40 more. Among them Bone Idol.

Why divorce such a wife? Well, she was the only one of us with a driver's license at the time. So she kinda fed up with all the services expected. I suppose that's how it started, anyway. With her yelling viciously at me for being a lousy mapreader whilst Archimedes' Badkar farted a balalaika soundtrack at full throttle.
    Never change, Richard. I love your contributions and all your various digressions.
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

A question for whoever might know -re the first National Health album - I have the Decal cd from 1990 -does the Esoteric reissue have significantly improved sound?
    'I would advise stilts for the quagmires"

Quote Originally Posted by Piskie View Post
    A question for whoever might know -re the first National Health album - I have the Decal cd from 1990 -does the Esoteric reissue have significantly improved sound?
    I can only compare the Esoteric reissue with the LP-version and the version on Complete. Because the LP is very long, the dynamics are improved on the CD's; the Esoteric version sounds very fresh to me.

^^^ Thank you.
    'I would advise stilts for the quagmires"

This is an amazing thread. My collection of Canterbury is truly small compared to P.E. members and it's fascinating to read the comments from members regarding Canterbury style bands that I truly know nothing about.

I have things like Gilgamesh which is one of my favorite bands. I have their first 2 albums plus Arriving Twice which is a must.

I have Matching Mole, Soft Machine, Caravan, Egg, National Health, Hatfield And The North and Robert Wyatt..but I have never learned about so many different Canterbury bands on a website before. This place is amazing. The members of P.E. are serious collectors and are very knowledgeable.

If you search back we've been doing Canterbury binge threads for a while...I think we even did them before PE switched to 2.0 to keep them on file. It would be really fun to have all of these conversations/threads in a book!

^ Enidi (did you used to post as Enid in prior times?) Your posts are also fascinating, especially when you post about the 70s and your experiences as a traveling musician. Don't sell yourself short, you have a lot to add here, and it's appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    ^ Enidi (did you used to post as Enid in prior times?) Your posts are also fascinating, especially when you post about the 70s and your experiences as a traveling musician. Don't sell yourself short, you have a lot to add here, and it's appreciated.
    Thanks Moe...very kind of you . Yes I used to post as Enid.

^^^^^^
    Gotta agree with Moe!
    Enidi, can you name the groups/musicians you toured with?

Quote Originally Posted by Enidi View Post
    This is an amazing thread. My collection of Canterbury is truly small compared to P.E. members and it's fascinating to read the comments from members regarding Canterbury style bands that I truly know nothing about.

I have things like Gilgamesh which is one of my favorite bands. I have their first 2 albums plus Arriving Twice which is a must.

I have Matching Mole, Soft Machine, Caravan, Egg, National Health, Hatfield And The North and Robert Wyatt..but I have never learned about so many different Canterbury bands on a website before. This place is amazing. The members of P.E. are serious collectors and are very knowledgeable.
    As a relative newcomer here, I totally second this thought. It's both heartening and overwhelming to know there's this much good music out there that I've never encountered.

I agree with the comment above. I haver read all the threads several times, discovered new bands and bought a good few albums as a result, including Gilgamesh, the Muffins Supersister, Henry Cow, Mainstream, National Health to name a few. The discussions have also lead my off on related tangents into Zappa and who knows where next :-)
    Last edited by Piskie; 3 Days Ago at 04:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gravedigger View Post
    ^^^^^^
    Gotta agree with Moe!
    Enidi, can you name the groups/musicians you toured with?
    In the mid to late 70s I played in both..cover and original bands on the East coast of the U.S. During this time I traveled alongside people like Chumby, The Heartbreakers ( members of N.Y. Dolls, then later George Througood, The Good Rats, etc. Nothing to speak of. I merely crossed paths with them from traveling. I was just a kid. I used to talk with Patti Smyth who later formed Scandal. It could have been upstate NY or just somewhere in North America, I don't remember. Most of the successful people I DID know were part of the local scene when I knew them.

It's a weird experience somehow to know someone prior to their success as everything changes. Happy The Man and Nektar used to play the same venues, but I never got to meet them. Even when they played in Browns Mills, NJ. Rick Derringer and Johnny Winter were around a lot. I mostly played Rock Clubs then and they were set up like concert halls with huge stages . Completely opposite of today.

In 81' I was hired to play guitar for this popular entertainer. I won't mention his name because of lawsuits. The whole thing ended up in lawsuits at the end. We played strictly theaters and a few clubs.. People on the circuit then were Steve Hackett on his Cured tour...who I never met..but was actually booked a week ahead of us for a few months. Renaissance we crossed paths with briefly . They used to play Club Bene in Ocean County...but they were in other places nearby as we traveled.

I used to open for the Doc Severison Band and I was very much in a sell out position opening for Jerry Vale and eating dinner with Nypsy Russell and David Brenner who were very unhappy people. I was about 23 years old and naive. I couldn't understand why they were miserable. Muhammad Ali used to visit my boss in the dressing room. I had said hello to him a few times, but that's it.

I had opened for Ian Hunter and Dixie Dregs around this time. I used to say hello to Ian Hunter, but didn't know him. Tom Evans of Badfinger came to a few of our shows. All I could remember was being 15 years old and seeing his picture on the Straight Up album.

I didn't understand why he was hanging around at the time. Two years later I went back to playing Rock Clubs in cover bands. Badfinger's backing band...( probably Joey Mollands band), told us about Tom Evans committing suicide in the dressing room at a showcase gig at the shore. I had no idea at the time. They knew me from the road. I couldn't seem to remember them.

In 2023 I'll be releasing 2 new instrumental albums. Message me your PO and I'll mail them to you. When I used to travel around back then it involved organized crime and bodyguards surrounding me watching every move I made. I really didn't like it too much. It was also very sad to witness Prog bands going downhill and losing popularity.