Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Genesis - The Reunion Rehearsal - 1982

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar

Genesis - The Reunion Rehearsal - 1982

Sorry if this was already posted somewhere. A previously unreleased (?) BBC broadcast of the warmup for the 1982 reunion show. Has this already been seen/heard in the wild?

https://www.juno.co.uk/products/gene...982/857859-01/
    Can also be ordered from progrock.co.uk for all your Robert Reed needs and other preorders (release date 1/14, but the label in the link above seems to already be shipping it.
    https://www.progrock.co.uk/genesis-t...al-c2x36800306

1. "Back In NYC"
    2. "Dancing With The Moonlit Knight"
    3. "The Carpet Crawlers"
    4. "Firth Of Fifth"
    5. "The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway"
    6. "Fly On A Windshield"
    7. "In The Cage"
    8. "Supper's Ready"
    9. "The Knife"
    10. "Solsbury Hill" (take 1)
    11. "Solsbury Hill" (take 2)

I have a couple vinyl bootlegs of those rehearsals. (Actually, one is a reissue of the other, so in a sense, I have one.)

I think I have a bootleg of this..at Hammersmith odeon?

Sent from my SM-T290 using Tapatalk

^ Yep.

I have a vinyl bootleg, but I thought it was an audience recording of the actual performance. "Six of the Best."

^ There are several of those too.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    ^ There are several of those too.
    So is this maybe the first legit release of the rehearsal?

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I have a vinyl bootleg, but I thought it was an audience recording of the actual performance. "Six of the Best."
    That was at Milton Keynes (not Hammersmith Odeon) so this must be something different. What they are talking about here was probably a rehearsal with no real audience.

Also(and I know this is slightly OT), but apparently PG reuinted with Genesis for an encore in 78 on their ATTWT tour. He also apparently sang with Steve Hackett for a song or two(maybe also for an encore). Does anyone know any details about these things?
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

The “Wicker Man” label has released many unauthorized recordings and this looks to be yet another. I have a copy of these rehearsals on cassette from years ago, may need to dig it up.

Edit: YouTube audio here:

https://youtu.be/OZsNCeucnU0
    Last edited by Flightwave; 12-30-2021 at 06:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    That was at Milton Keynes (not Hammersmith Odeon) so this must be something different. What they are talking about here was probably a rehearsal with no real audience.

Also(and I know this is slightly OT), but apparently PG reuinted with Genesis for an encore in 78 on their ATTWT tour. He also apparently sang with Steve Hackett for a song or two(maybe also for an encore). Does anyone know any details about these things?
    The Gabriel appearance for the encore in New York in 1978 first appeared on the vinyl bootleg And Then There Was Gabriel. I'm sure there are plenty of digital versions around.
    I can't name the cameos with Hackett off the top of my head. I'd have to do a bit of research.

Legit, my ass.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Well, I wouldn't use the term 'legit'...

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    He also apparently sang with Steve Hackett for a song or two(maybe also for an encore). Does anyone know any details about these things?
    Gabriel and Rutherford joined Hackett on stage in '83 for I Know What I Like. I used to have the bootleg tape, it was nothing special.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Also the BBC never broadcast this nor the actual reunion. Not sure why it’s written in the description but seeing as it’s unauthorized anyway, and audio is available on YT and Movement site, save your money !

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Well, I wouldn't use the term 'legit'...

Gabriel and Rutherford joined Hackett on stage in '83 for I Know What I Like. I used to have the bootleg tape, it was nothing special.
    Oh, wasn't Mike Oldfield at this too, for some reason? They did "Shadow on the Wall?" I used to have a bootleg cassette of that.

^ I think that was the "Double O" charity gig. Marillion was involved.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    ^ I think that was the "Double O" charity gig. Marillion was involved.
    I was going to say I think Fish was there too, but I thought maybe I'd made that part up!

This was circulated years ago, a tape of the rehearsal (not the actual show that some people are mistaking it for above). It wasn't broadcasted I'm fairly certain that's complete BS.

Not interested in the rehersals recordings, but one day , I would like to hear the actual MK show, just once - out of curiosity.

I suppose it was taped (+/- professionally) and that there are places on the web where it could be available (non-legit, though), but I'm not interested in those Torrent-type of sites.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I don't think it was professionally recorded. Mike Rutherford expressed a bit of regret at this many years later.

Quote Originally Posted by Koreabruce View Post
    I don't think it was professionally recorded. Mike Rutherford expressed a bit of regret at this many years later.
    There are very poor quality audience recordings available, none of which is remotely listenable. I do think, though, that there were some sound board recordings. I recall Banks and Gabriel saying in separate interviews that these were not polished up and released because nobody thought that the quality of the gig warranted such a release.

As someone who was there, it is a matter of some regret that they have not changed their minds on this. The whole point of the day was the sheer emotion of the reunion, and that made it one of the most memorable gigs I have ever been to.

Quote Originally Posted by lazland View Post
    There are very poor quality audience recordings available, none of which is remotely listenable. I do think, though, that there were some sound board recordings. I recall Banks and Gabriel saying in separate interviews that these were not polished up and released because nobody thought that the quality of the gig warranted such a release.

As someone who was there, it is a matter of some regret that they have not changed their minds on this. The whole point of the day was the sheer emotion of the reunion, and that made it one of the most memorable gigs I have ever been to.
    I'd love to hear any memories you have of that day. If you get bored and want to ramble on the keyboard please do !! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Flightwave View Post
    I'd love to hear any memories you have of that day. If you get bored and want to ramble on the keyboard please do !! :-)
    Ha! Love it! Well, we are going out soon, so some short memories.

Above all, it was wet. And when I say wet, I mean that we were beyond wet by the time it finished. It was an October day, and it did nothing but crash it down with rain all day and night.

From the support acts, I remember John Martyn being excellent, and Talk Talk being pelted with cans and bottles.

The band were introduced on the stage by Jonathan King, reprising his very old “they would be nothing without me” routine. Gabriel was carried on stage in a coffin to the opening bars of Back in New York City. I seem to remember Collins singing Solsbury Hill, whilst Gabriel played drums on Turn It On Again. Suppers Ready and Musical Box especially were greeted with pure ecstasy by all assembled.

In 1982, I was a somewhat callow and awkward 17 year old and although into Genesis for about 5 years by then, of course I had not had the opportunity to see them with Gabriel, so a dream come true. Steve Hackett joined them for the I Know What I Like encore, having flown over from Brazil where he was touring, and having had to listen to Daryl Stuermer playing his finest moment on Firth of Fifth, very well indeed I might add.

It was a magical day. It was a gig which will live in my memory to the day I die, and it is this which disappoints me a wee bit with the musical decision not to release it officially, because, in all reality, it wasn’t about the music, it was about the experience.

^Thanks for sharing your memories. It is a shame it was not properly recorded or filmed, to much regret of Mike Rutherford as shared in his book.

Quote Originally Posted by Koreabruce View Post
    Most boots of the show are decent soundboard recordings. I have one with the Steve Hackett & Gabriel/ Rutherford bonus tracks

Genesis & Peter Gabriel reunion, Milton Keynes Concert Bowl - Saturday 2nd October 1982.
    Guildford, 28/01/1983 - Steve Hackett Band with Peter Gabriel and Mike Rutherford.
    I would like to see one day The arrival on stage of Gabriel in the coffin but if they are videos I suppose they would already have popped up on the net.

Here we are