Thread: RIP John Madden

RIP John Madden

Per the NFL:

The league said he passed away unexpectedly on Tuesday morning.

"Nobody loved football more than Coach," NFL commissioner Roger Goodell said in a statement Tuesday evening. "He was football. He was an incredible sounding board to me and so many others."

"There will never be another John Madden, and we will forever be indebted to him for all he did to make football and the NFL what it is today."

That's too bad. I was never a sports fan at all though my younger brother was/is, so the TV was always on some sports channel or other, and John Madden was inevitably there. Who could forget that iconic voice and presence? He clearly loved every second of what he did in the realm of football, which is the very definition of a successful career. Always loved Frank Caliendo's spot-on impressions of him. R.I.P.

very iconic and someone I grew up with his voice frequently, even more before his video game was created.

My friends and I used to do our own "Madden and Summerall" show before our basketball games, lol.

R.I.P.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    I remember one game where he was saying (paraphrasing) "look at these guys with their Gatorade. In my day we had a metal bucket full of water and a ladle, and by the second half it had grass floating in it, and used bandages. We didn't need Gatorade."
    I guess he liked to talk about The Bucket:

Fox Sports ran a new Madden documentary on Christmas Day that was excellent, and well worth checking out.
    Last edited by SteveSly; 12-29-2021 at 01:52 AM.

RIP. Liked him doing color/play by play, but the coaches clicker was annoying.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Rest in peace, John. Back in the day when I gave a damn about pro football, John Madden and his Raiders were my favorites. His broadcast commentary was interesting, if unusual, and better than the bore it has become without him. The man truly loved football and coaching. I don't think Roger Goodell should blame John for making the NFL what it is today. Sorry to see you go, John Madden.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    I remember one game where he was saying (paraphrasing) "look at these guys with their Gatorade. In my day we had a metal bucket full of water and a ladle, and by the second half it had grass floating in it, and used bandages. We didn't need Gatorade."
    I guess he liked to talk about The Bucket:
    I was at that Super Bowl game!

We've got 2 sports radio stations here, and throughout the day I've turned them on briefly while running errands and each time they were talking about Madden, though the demographics of most of the on-air personalities are such that they know him as a historic figure, not as someone they've watched as a coach or analyst.

We're getting old, Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Koreabruce View Post
    We're getting old, Dave
    They were reminiscing about the ancient versions of the Madden video game from 15-20 years ago when they were kids!

RIP to an icon in football coaching and broadcasting.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)