Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FEATURED CD : Thinking Plague : A History Of Madness

FEATURED CD : Thinking Plague : A History Of Madness

Credit for this featured CD : spellbound

Based on a CD received from the collection bequeathed to Progressive Ears by the late Chris Buckley (Winkersnuff)

spellbound's comments:

I was pleased to receive this CD from the late Chris Buckley c/o Progressive Ears. Although I had heard of Thinking Plague, I had never managed to add one of their albums to my collection, before now. So the band and the album were new to me. A History Of Madness is Thinking Plague’s fifth album, released in 2003. I love the band’s ironic name, and often wish my species would one day be plagued by sentience, if not sapience.

The music is well-played avant garde. But I am no expert, being neither a musician nor a professional reviewer. I can only give you my impressions as a prog fan and music lover, and you can look up reviews if you are so inclined. Better yet, listen to the music, as it will take you where no review ever can. Thinking Plague’s music will not disappoint a progressive music fan.

The album starts out shockingly, if the listener had been expecting something melodic. And it get weird quickly, with instruments known and unknown chiming in. All the instruments played are credited to band and guest musicians on the back cover of the CD and in the CD booklet. The singing, by Deborah Perry, lies quite nicely atop the strange music, her lovely voice grounding you as the music takes off in unexpected directions. There are, of course, many musical interludes and even whole tunes without vocal accompaniment, as is the norm with progressive jazz. Don’t get the idea that the singing is in any popular music style. Ms Perry is quite capable of going with the flow of the avant garde musicianship, tonal or atonal, straight or angular, lovely or cacaphonic. I wouldn’t want it any other way. The lyrics are printed in the CD booklet, lest you think I am describing vocalizations as opposed to words.

The songs on the album have sufficiently odd titles, and each song may have its own mood. Sometimes the music seems dark, but the album, as a whole, does not drag you into the darkness and leave you there, as some of the other albums I enjoy listening to often do. There are upbeat passages, sometimes juxtaposed against creepy drones and atonal noodling. Who would want it to sound all the same? I would say the musical passages on this album run the gamut from Univers Zero to Yes. Perhaps this is in keeping with the title of the album. Like most progressive albums, A History Of Madness is best listened to in its entirety. Thinking Plague is not a singles band.

If you are at all able to tolerate avant garde or avant prog, you will like this album. Even if you think it isn’t up your tree, it might surprise you. I find it quite enjoyable, and will gladly add more Thinking Plague to my collection when I can. A note on my own tastes: I really like dark music, from blues to prog to doom metal, and complexity isn’t a problem for me, as I also like Frank Zappa and classical music and jazz.

This review has been by spellbound for Progressive Ears progressive featured CD feature.
    Regards,

Duncan

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Excellent album, on of their best and a fine example of the genre.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

My favourite TP album, i think. In Extremis and Decline and Fall being my next two faves
    And the code is a play, a play is a song, a song is a film, a film is a dance...

Good album but not among my favourites by Thinking Plague.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

My own favorite TP album.

A really creative and interesting album. I kind of like later albums even more. It's like every album is slightly more impressive than the previous.

I hold all TP releases in a place of high honor - this one is no exception - one of only a couple bands from the states that truly are on the level... and TP are up there with Henry Cow easily.
    Artist formerly known as Phlakaton

Quote Originally Posted by Hunchentootz View Post
    I hold all TP releases in a place of high honor - this one is no exception - one of only a couple bands from the states that truly are on the level... and TP are up there with Henry Cow easily.
    Agree on both TP & HC, I'd add UZ.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Awesome band and a very good album, but I prefer In Extremis a bit. 5UU's should be mentioned in this context too.

This one started my journey into the world of TP music. I heard a couple of pieces on Pandora radio about 15 years ago and ended up buying the CD. I now have them all!

A very good album, as long as you're into rockin' RIO.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    Awesome band and a very good album, but I prefer In Extremis a bit. 5UU's should be mentioned in this context too.
    And U Totem should also be mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by karel hupjé View Post
    And U Totem should also be mentioned.
    U Totem's first is amazing - super high on my all time list too.
    Artist formerly known as Phlakaton

Love this album. It was my first by TP, and still my favourite. I consider it one of the absolute benchmarks of the RIO genre. I also love In Extremis and In This Life, but this one holds a special place for me. A perfect blending of rocking RIO and experimental avant. Deborah Perry's voice is one that I still find both pristinely demented and a little bit unnerving. And I mean that in the best way possible, lol.

Neil

Quote Originally Posted by boilk View Post
    Love this album. It was my first by TP, and still my favourite. I consider it one of the absolute benchmarks of the RIO genre. I also love In Extremis and In This Life, but this one holds a special place for me. A perfect blending of rocking RIO and experimental avant. Deborah Perry's voice is one that I still find both pristinely demented and a little bit unnerving. And I mean that in the best way possible, lol.

Neil
    Their top 3 for me too, but I still prefer In Extremis, probably because I started with that one, but haven't spinned any TP in quite a while.

I passed on their last two, because not as good (IMHO), but also I've sort of grown tired of this type of music (RIO/Avant) since the last time I was in Carmaux.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I find the last two as strong as any of their material personally
    Ian

T.P. is a favorite of the house ... great album!
    Love T.P.!
    Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    I agree. No offense at all to Deborah, but I prefer Elaine in the voxx department.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    I think the last two are their strongest albums so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    I agree. No offense at all to Deborah, but I prefer Elaine in the voxx department.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    I think the last two are their strongest albums so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I agree on both counts.

Great one!!!

This album really grew on me. I was an In This Life and In Extremis fanatic, and this one was very different at first, but then once I "got" it, I was hooked. Up until to this album, Madness had the most textures and colors to my ears, which made it truly "progressive" within Mike's work. Mike's an incredible cat! And Bob!
    Last edited by chalkpie; 12-18-2021 at 09:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    I agree on both counts.
    Well, there you go. I'm on the other side of the fence, lol. Hopefully we can all make good neigbours, no matter the side!

Neil

Quote Originally Posted by boilk View Post
    Well, there you go. I'm on the other side of the fence, lol. Hopefully we can all make good neigbours, no matter the side!

Neil
    Hey I thought I'd get Killed for that opinion
    Ian