Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: People Constantly Talking At Concerts

People Constantly Talking At Concerts

My Saturday morning rant………Why do people go to concerts and constantly talk all the way through the show? So, my sister and I saw Jackson Browne & James Taylor last night. We had a couple sitting behind us who talked non-stop through both shows. I mean, they never freaking shut up, yapping on and on and on about all kinds of inane crap that had nothing to do with the show they were seeing. Now, I am a pretty tolerant guy. If it is a metal or hard rock I expect to have a rowdier experience and can handle any kind of crowd. But……… this was James fricking Taylor for crying out loud. Most of his songs are soft & mellow so people talking is really really noticeable. With the two behind us, I did not notice it as much during Jackson Browne’s more upbeat set, but during Taylor it was extremely annoying. Thankfully, these people did not stay for the whole show and left before the end. I got the impression that they were there to hear a couple of big hits and that is all they cared about. Once those songs were played, they got up and left. Anyway…….it was really annoying…….

I had a similar experience when I saw Paul Simon a few years ago. Extremely annoying. Why do those people pay (expensive) tickets to see a show and then dont listen at all?

Idiots. Its happened at many concerts I've been to.

I never hesitate to tell people to either shut up or take the conversation to the lobby. I pay far too much money for tickets and I'm simply not going to tolerate it.

I have ZERO patience for assholes anymore.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly
    I got the impression that they were there to hear a couple of big hits and that is all they cared about. Once those songs were played, they got up and left.
    If they never stopped talking, how did they know if the songs they came to hear were played?

I know what you're talking about, and it annoys the hell out of me. Why do people think everywhere they go is the same as their living room? I tend to be silent and listen throughout a concert, movie, etc., except to applaud when appropriate. If I want to discuss the concert or film with whoever I attended it with, I can do that on the way home, like people used to do. Why go to a loud concert and then try to talk over the music? To show off? "I'm louder than Metallica!" I have no idea why anyone would attend a concert or movie or play or whatever, and talk through it about inane, irrelevant stuff. Meth, maybe? Malignant narcissism? Parents never taught them to be considerate of others, or to even notice other people exist? I don't recall this happening when I started going to concerts in the early-mid '70s. Now, sadly, you can expect it. But you shouldn't have to tolerate it.

I once shushed some people who were talking all the way through a quiet film, and they got mad at me for interrupting them, and tried to defend their indefensible behavior. Idiots, is right.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    I never hesitate to tell people to either shut up or take the conversation to the lobby. I pay far too much money for tickets and I'm simply not going to tolerate it.

I have ZERO patience for assholes anymore.
    The honest answer is that the dude was about twice my size and I was rather intimidated.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    The honest answer is that the dude was about twice my size and I was rather intimidated.
    I still would probably say something, albeit more diplomatically. But, my wife would be mortified.

These days, the only guy I got to shows with is a good friend who also happens to be 6'3" and about 225.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Idiots. Its happened at many concerts I've been to.
    Yep. Never fails.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I still would probably say something, albeit more diplomatically. But, my wife would be mortified.

These days, the only guy I got to shows with is a good friend who also happens to be 6'3" and about 225.
    I'm surprised your wife would be mortified. And I wouldn't be intimidated by a guy twice my size, though I'd ask nicely. Unless the seemed pretty drunk (which alas would probably be the case, and is probably the main reason this happens - a lot of people, when they get drunk, think everything they say is fascinating). But I wouldn't expect a physical altercation to ensue, and I would also think that those around would probably have my back to some extent. Maybe. But my wife is sometimes mortified if I ask someone at a restaurant to fix something or whatever, even though I'm always polite when requesting things, so I know what you mean. It seems to be almost a regional thing, and being from NYC, I don't mind speaking up in certain situations. But there are some people who don't ever want to do that.

I tend not to want to go to 'pop' shows for this reason.
    There is a great chance that people are getting together and have not seen each other for some time and want to catch up.
    And if they are not talking, they are screaming nonsense at the band.
    It is also one of the least attractive aspects of progday ( not the screaming at the band part )..
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    A few years ago at a Jean-Luc Ponty show there was persistent loud talking a few rows behind us, with constant "ssSh!" sounds coming from some people nearby. At one point someone must have said something to them because they suddenly got louder with extremely loud SSSHHHHH! and laughing coming from these 3 guys, then the ladies in front of them told them to be quiet or they'd get the ushers and one of them yelled "I'll club you like a seal!" and the trio of assholes all laughed, and then kept on making noise. My wife was at the end of the row so she ran over and got some ushers, who went over and spoke to them, which quieted them down only long enough to have the usher leave, and then they started up again with the "club you like a seal" routine until a couple of ushers came back over. The noise/usher/quiet thing repeated a few times more until the show was over. I guess the ushers preferred that than to try to make them leave, but the show was pretty much ruined for I'd guess a few dozen people. Why don't people like that just get shitfaced at home instead of buying expensive tickets for an event that they ruin?

The main problem is, that if you try to quiet these idiots, you get so distracted from what you came for, that you ruined it for yourself.

I hate these idiots.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I'm surprised your wife would be mortified. ... But my wife is sometimes mortified if I ask someone at a restaurant to fix something or whatever, even though I'm always polite when requesting things, so I know what you mean. ... I don't mind speaking up in certain situations.
    Yep, that's me and my wife.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    The main problem is, that if you try to quiet these idiots, you get so distracted from what you came for, that you ruined it for yourself.

I hate these idiots.
    I think the distraction has already begun by that point. Hence the need to shut them the fuck up.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Oh, for a death ray! So many of life's problems would be solved.

yeah, it happens at certain venues more than others I find. Its happened at least twice to me in the last 5 years at Mayer Hawthorne/Tuxedo shows.

I don't get it, and want to purchase and wear 1 of these next time

https://www.amazon.com/Sorry-Band-In.../dp/B07H7ZJRV3
    Last edited by mnprogger; 12-12-2021 at 03:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Oh, for a death ray! So many of life's problems would be solved.
    You and me both, Jed. I'd ray gun all the arms holding up phones to record the show blocking the vision of those behind. Like talking throughout the performance, why pay so much money to watch the band through the phone when the band is right there?
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

The one time I got a chance to see Blue Oyster Cult a few years ago there were people right behind us that seemed to be on a first date and were chatting it up. My wife asked them to quiet down and that helped, but the guy kept screaming at certain points (usually after the big hits) and it was freakin' ear-splitting. I went to the restroom and grabbed some tissue to stuff in my ears to reduce the pain.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    You and me both, Jed. I'd ray gun all the arms holding up phones to record the show blocking the vision of those behind. Like talking throughout the performance, why pay so much money to watch the band through the phone when the band is right there?
    I always take this opportunity to mention the time the guy in front of me at a Marillion gig held up his iPad so he could let his wife watch the show via FaceTime. He learned quickly that that was not going to be tolerated. You think I paid for tickets and came out to this show just to have a third of the stage blocked from my view, replaced by your wife sprawled on your couch at home, stuffing her face with chips? Idiot.

The constant talking thing has flat-out ruined shows for me in the past. I find people's behaviour nowadays just mind blowing. It wasn't until this started to become so commonplace that I realized just how considerate I actually am at concerts. I used to think I was just normal or average, but these days I would be in the top tier on a chart of least to most behaved.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I saw Clapton in 1990 and a guy behind us felt compelled to let out a "Whoop!" every couple of minutes, as though he was on stage as part of the band. After a few glares he finally cut back on it. It was especially annoying, since I was trying to record the show.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Lots of attention whores out there.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I had decent floor seats to see Bowie in Montreal about 12 years ago. The row ahead of me, a guy was sitting and then his girlfriend sat on his laps blocking my view. I asked several times if she could leave. They ignored me. I went to security and they pulled her out. She was cursing at me as she left but I didn't care.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    sat on his laps

It's one reason I don't go to many concerts anymore. I had one infamous experience which I won't get into right now that was sort of an extreme example. I really don't understand why people spend good money to go to a concert just to talk to the people they are with. It's bad enough when it happens at the movies but I don't get why people do it at concerts. There's not much you can do about it. You can try staring at them but they won't understand why you are staring at them. One thing you could do is ask them how much they paid for their ticket. If they respond with "sixty dollars" or whatever, then just say "so, let me get this right, you spend sixty dollars on a ticket just so you could talk during it?"
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Maybe he was part of a siamese twin.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Had a tangential experience about 20 years ago....My friend invited another friend and co-worker to see Yes. He was a corporate muk-e-muk and had one of those corporate suites for the evening. He and his co-worker kept dragging out the pre-concert dinner with wine & wine.....Showed up to the concert 1/2 hour after it started. While we had Excellent Seats....he continued drinking wine with the co-worker and talking.....the suite was nice and we were spread out so the talking / drinking wasn't really a problem. So here were folks who had free access to a concert and weren't really interested in being there.....more of being seen in the corporate box.
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga