Thread: what the H am I listening to...

what the H am I listening to...

In these retirement years I do a bit of painting, and grab a handful of cd's at random to accompany the process. Today the handful was from the "h's" and included first Tim Hodgkinson's "Sang", as the warmup, then Horizont's "Portrait of a Boy" which was way more enjoyable than I remember, and then I was blown away by Dane T.S. Hawk and his great mongo dilmuns "presents Boh", a big band wonder. Julius Hemhill's "One Atmosphere" wrapped up the session. What a great morning! Made good progress on the canvas, too...

Where is T. S. these days? I think "DeathDisco2000" is my last knowledge of him...

thanks
    David

No idea what Hawk is doing lately, I have Boh, Disco and something called Dream Blues and like them all but on top of that...

...that was one helluva playlist you have up there

best
    Michael
    If it ain't acousmatique-It's crap

The H is always a good idea

Quote Originally Posted by vndrgrf View Post
    a handful of cd's at random to accompany the process. Today the handful was from the "h's" and included first Tim Hodgkinson's "Sang", as the warmup, then Horizont's "Portrait of a Boy" which was way more enjoyable
    I can give or take Hodgkinson's contemporary work, but I still prefer Pragma - and especially the piece with the part that he had to sing himself ("SHHH", I believe) because budgets wouldn't allow anyone or anything else. Each In Our Own Thoughts is one of the great post-HC-narrative releases, though. And it's bullshit that teh recording of "Hold to the Zero Burn, Imagine" somehow doesn't do service to the original idea of "Erk Gah".

Lord knows what Hodgkinson might have achieved if he'd stayed within the creative confines of purely "structural" formal expression and dedicated himself to morals instead of an ideological concept which is little but destructive.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

"Lord knows what Hodgkinson might have achieved if he'd stayed within the creative confines of purely "structural" formal expression and dedicated himself to morals instead of an ideological concept which is little but destructive."

Is this 'ideological concept" a political position or aesthetic space? Structural formal expression is to me so often sterile and easily distanced from human-ness and I have a hard time finding "morals" in that area. The concept of "all art is political" is an external judgement not necessarily supplied by the artist or her intentions. Usually I find overtly political works off-putting...

But Henry Cow i find transcendant!? My first painting days were three weeks of the boxes, over and over...

David