Thread: Porcupine Tree: Colin Edwin & John Wesley. What happened?

Porcupine Tree: Colin Edwin & John Wesley. What happened?

I've enjoyed listening to the new PT track 'Harrigan' every few days and find it lives up to the band's name. I also have revisited listening to some of my favorite songs of the past from the band. I've noticed how good Colin Edwin is on his bass parts, which IMO fit perfectly in each song. And John Wesley did a great job with backing vocals and additional guitar on their live shows, although his vocals sometimes were a bit off key. Both will be missed. Does anyone have any insight to why they are not returning and who might possibly replace them on tour?
    Day dawns dark...it now numbers infinity.

I may be wrong, but if I remember correctly, Steven wanted to write more complicated material and, other than Gavin, he didn't think the band could perform it. Thus he got much better musicians to play with him when he went solo.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I was wondering what happened with Wes. The day of or the day after Wislon announced this "reunion," Wes tweeted "I'veMovedOn..." I guess he was a bit hurt to not be included, but at least he has that other band he joined to be a part of. I had a ticket to see P. Tree with Wes at Radio City Music Hall, but wasn't able to attend. Aargh!

Maybe Wes knew he'd get the inevitable question if he'd be involved with shows or something, and just gave and answer.

Firstly, Wes was only hired to be a live musician, not a full member of the band. The tour is such a long way off that they likely haven't thought about who they're going to hire yet. As for Colin, from all the interviews I've read it seems that SW & CE do not always get along that well and my impression is that Colin isn't there because he doesn't want to be. Just my thoughts of course.

With the UK tour already announced and we know that Colin and Beggs are out(Beggs touring with Howie Jones next fall) just announce who it is already

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I was wondering what happened with Wes. The day of or the day after Wislon announced this "reunion," Wes tweeted "I'veMovedOn..." I guess he was a bit hurt to not be included, but at least he has that other band he joined to be a part of. I had a ticket to see P. Tree with Wes at Radio City Music Hall, but wasn't able to attend. Aargh!
    As you mention John has been very active as a touring member of Vertical Horizon, so maybe he just already has commitments. As recent as just a few years ago he posted something on his web site about getting together with his "good friend" Steven Wilson, so at least then it appeared that they were still buddies.

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    I may be wrong, but if I remember correctly, Steven wanted to write more complicated material and, other than Gavin, he didn't think the band could perform it. Thus he got much better musicians to play with him when he went solo.
    I'd love to see a quote from SW saying this somewhere, otherwise I don't believe it. I don't believe anyone that SW has played with post PT have been "much better musicians".

Gavin and Colin were musically as capable as anyone that's played with SW solo. Richard Barbieri is as well, though he has a different style from Adam Holzman. I prefer Barbieri by a factor of 100, personally. He's also made much more music over his career (Japan, JBK, Rain Tree Crow, PT) that stands the test of time for me.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I had a ticket to see P. Tree with Wes at Radio City Music Hall, but wasn't able to attend. Aargh!
    Man did you miss a show, Sorry you missed it! It was insane...easily the best show I saw of any of the PT shows and I've seen plenty. Harrison was absolutely unhinged that night.

Quote Originally Posted by progman1975 View Post
    With the UK tour already announced and we know that Colin and Beggs are out(Beggs touring with Howie Jones next fall) just announce who it is already

This is easily the biggest issue I have with Wilson...you never know who is going to be in the band, especially in N. America. One band on the album, MAYBE the same band in Europe/UK and another completely different band in NA. So frustrating to me. I had tickets to three shows in NA for HCE and he had to my mind, a sub par band in NA!
    Makes me crazy!
    HOPEFULLY Harrison is on the whole tour, and Beggs of course would have been the perfect fit...

Quote Originally Posted by gpeccary View Post
    This is easily the biggest issue I have with Wilson...you never know who is going to be in the band, especially in N. America. One band on the album, MAYBE the same band in Europe/UK and another completely different band in NA. So frustrating to me. I had tickets to three shows in NA for HCE and he had to my mind, a sub par band in NA!
    Makes me crazy!
    HOPEFULLY Harrison is on the whole tour, and Beggs of course would have been the perfect fit...
    It might make you crazy but Govan and Minneman left to pursue their own Aristicrats project, if people leave his band its not really his fault.

Makes me crazy!
    But all of the guys he plays with have careers outside of Steven's band. He gets great musicians, but has to work around their schedules. Almost all of them are constantly gigging with other artists / bands.

Man did you miss a show, Sorry you missed it! It was insane...easily the best show I saw of any of the PT shows and I've seen plenty. Harrison was absolutely unhinged that night.
    He absolutely was - during the insane part of Anesthetize I can still hear the guy behind me repeatedly going "my god....oh my god". Incredible concert!

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    When did Wislon ever put together a subpar lineup?

^^ You're right! That said, I recall seeing Wilson for the first time on the HCE tour in Washington, DC. It wasn't that Kilminster and Blundell were bad. Rather, it's that they weren't Govan and Minneman. I recall being disappointed at the time. Craig's drumming really grew on me over time.

To my mind HCE in North America...disappointing to me after thinking Minneman and Govan were going to be there.