Thread: Opeth, Mastodon and Zeal+Ardor - LIVE

Opeth, Mastodon and Zeal+Ardor - LIVE

This tour came through Oakland last night and I was one of the lucky few thousand to score a ticket. Like many of us here in PE land, I have been to more shows than I have pennies in my piggy bank, 1000's I'm sure. There was something unique about last night that proves that the bond we share is more than the genre, but rather the music, the experience, the art, and the community.

Three bands, two of which can be claimed by different communities, Opeth and Mastodon, at times Prog, other Metal and most often Prog Metal. Zeal and Ardor truly progressing music by mixing elements of African American Spirituals, Gospel and other Roots music with Blackened Death Metal. This line-up leads to as glorious melting pot of fans, including 55+ Proggers in Genesis, Yes, and even Pineapple Thief shirts, middle-aged Metal Heads raised on healthy doses of Maiden and Priest and Sabbath, twenty-something Bay Area music fans (we are a unique breed), modern day Metal Heads and much more. All of these groups co-mingling in a GA standing show, enjoying death growls, screams, "softish" prog (Mikael's own words), symphonic prog, blast beat death metal, avant-garde explorations, work song chanting and some damn fine black metal. This was a true melting pot show and the epitome of music for music lovers.

An added aspect is the absolutely unique Bay Area music scene. Not only are we the birthplace of many genres of both metal and avant-garde, rock-not-rock and more, but we are also a passionate, energetic, diverse and open community.

Energetic and passion - The mosh pit started with the first note of Zeal and Ardor and did not stop until the last note of Mastodon. It didn't matter that Opeth played some "softish" tunes off Damnation and newer releases, or that Z+A had moments of extreme syncopation and experimentation, or even that Mastodon cranks out a 20 minute epic, this audience wanted to celebrate through movement, physical release and contact. The Damnation mosh pit was what I imagined a LSD dance fest at a Dead show would be.

The thing that I love the most about the Bay Area and by extension it's music scene, acceptance and diversity. Gender get's checked at the door with all flavors welcomed and accepted. Race, age, religion, style, language, politics (although here that's a tiny sliver of Left) are all welcome. And the best part, no one will harass you for sparking up a doob, in fact they are passed around constantly, but spark a cigarette and watch out, your butt will be toast.

I realize this note does not address the music or setlist or performances at all, so I'll add this closer. Each of these bands are top notch live acts able to completely captivate and audience and keep them engaged, each act has a diverse discography to pull from and didn't hesitate to pull from a variety of styles and years, and each band received venue filled exuberant yells, gestures, screams and applause of appreciation.}

Man I missed this so much and am glad we are heading back into live music. Life is not the same with these experiences.

Peace.
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

Nice review, thanks for posting! I wish this tour was coming closer to me.

Brilliant post Eric....so happy for that you saw this! I saw Opeth in Feb 2020 in NYC with my wife and another friend couple and we absolutely loved it. I've been riding a giant Opeth/metal/black metal wave for weeks now and loving it. I need to check out Z&A, never heard a note. My Mastodon chops aren't great either....what would you consider your favorite two or three albums by them?

Very excited to see the SLC show tonight. I'm not OP (though I am an Eric), but on the subject of Mastodon, I think Leviathan through Crack the Skye are essential listening. People's mileage tends to vary after that, although I personally like all their albums.