Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mellow Candle - Any Fans?

Mellow Candle - Any Fans?

I've been on a bit of a folky binge of late and these guys have really grabbed my attention. Sweet melodies, sung beautifully by the two female lead singers, combined with excellent musicianship and tasteful playing by the band. Its hard NOT to like this band. Any one else agree?

Of course, but this thread belongs in the main forum.

Fantastic record, IMO. Classic all the way.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I do enjoy their Swaddling Songs album quite a bit. I wish they'd done more. I know they have some kind of posthumous release called The Virgin Prophet. I haven't heard it though.
    "Incredibly dismal, pathetic chord sequence..."
    http://discogs.com/seller/septober_energy

I'm probably not going to make friends here, but I find there are quite a few albums in the acid/psych/prog folk-rock genre that tops this one... It's still good, but not among the best (IMHO, of course)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

The last 5 years, I've been listening more to Clodagh Simonds' current project FOVEA HEX than any MELLOW CANDLE.

Also of interest are Alison O'Donnell's works with belgian band Éishtlinn and her solo efforts of late...
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    I'm probably not going to make friends here, but I find there are quite a few albums in the acid/psych/prog folk-rock genre that tops this one... It's still good, but not among the best (IMHO, of course)
    Such as?

Mellow Candle is the best prog folk album of all time, IMO. Edging out even Fairport's Liege & Lief, because of its original compositions.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Of course, but this thread belongs in the main forum.
    You think so? I wasn't sure if Mellow Candle counts as prog or not. Beyond the steller musicianship, there aren't a lot of proggy elements. You're free to argue this point of course, I'd like to hear why you think it is prog, however, Prog or not, I simply adore it.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffCarney View Post
    Mellow Candle is the best prog folk album of all time, IMO. Edging out even Fairport's Liege & Lief, because of its original compositions.
    I have to agree on Fairport, I always wished they'd put more original compositions on their records. Still love it, though. And Sandy Denny is always phenomenal.

I have & really enjoy Swaddling Songs, I guess that makes me a fan. Gorgeous voices on those women. By sheer randomness, I'm Facebook friends with Judy Dyble, who in turn, is FB friends with Alison O'Donnell. Guess I'll try my luck...

Nice, overall, though the "pitchy" voices make me cringe.....
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Totally agree. This is something I've always consistently pulled out, no matter what style I was currently fixated on. It's a all-encompassing classic.

Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    Nice, overall, though the "pitchy" voices make me cringe.....
    Part of the album's charm for me is that there is a very traditional Irish component that finds a home on the album. I'm assuming it's that vocal approach that doesn't work for you.

Of course, this is hardly something that profoundly influences every track, which I guess explains your overall enjoyment.

Part of the album's charm for me is that there is a very traditional Irish component that finds a home on the album. I'm assuming it's that vocal approach that doesn't work for you.

Of course, this is hardly something that profoundly influences every track, which I guess explains your overall enjoyment.
    I find both women (Alison and Clodagh) to be excellent vocalists who perfectly compliment each other. Just listen to some of those amazing harmonies ... impressively difficult stuff. Not to mention the fact that their voices are have a positively goregous timbre.

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    I find both women (Alison and Clodagh) to be excellent vocalists who perfectly compliment each other. Just listen to some of those amazing harmonies ... impressively difficult stuff. Not to mention the fact that their voices are have a positively goregous timbre.
    Agree, completely.

Truly astonishing vocal work throughout.

I enjoy the disk as well, maybe not as high on the list as Fairport or Pentangle.

I bought the Esoteric release a few years ago and liked the album a lot, but thought the sound was too compressed, which our very own Jeff Carney confirmed in the last Mellow Candle thread. I've been looking for earlier issues on other labels since then.....

I think the album starts off very strongly but the quality of the songwriting drops as the album goes on. A good album but not in the same league as the best from Fairport Convention, Steeleye Span or Pentangle.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Class & Quality? View Post
    I think the album starts off very strongly but the quality of the songwriting drops as the album goes on. A good album but not in the same league as the best from Fairport Convention, Steeleye Span or Pentangle.
    I hear it differently. I think the first track is good but the weakest on the entire album. I think the quality of songwriting is amazingly consistent throughout. Side two is absolutely brilliant. Stuff like "Reverend Sisters" is downright sublime and "Buy Or Beware" and "Boulders On My Grave" are basically peerless accomplishments.
    Last edited by JeffCarney; 03-22-2013 at 12:23 PM.

Such as?
    Comus, Spirogyra, Jan Dukes De Grey

just for starters, but there are others
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Incredible String Band, Pentangle, Fairport Covvention, Steeleye Span...
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    Incredible String Band, Pentangle, Fairport Covvention, Steeleye Span...

Out of these four, I consider onlt Pentangle as superior (or equal) to First Utterances, St Radiguns or Mices & Rats (or Swaddling Songs)

Yeah, I dig Comus and Jan Dukes as well. I just ordered Horslips first album, so hopefully I'll enjoy it.

I just ordered Horslips first album, so hopefully I'll enjoy it.
    Horslips best album IMO is "The Book of Invasions - A Celtic Symphony", so don't give up on them if you don't like the first album.

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Mountain View Post
    Horslips best album IMO is "The Book of Invasions - A Celtic Symphony", so don't give up on them if you don't like the first album.
    Scratch that. I bought their second album. I dont know why I said I bought their debut... Anyway, I heard half of it on Youtube and I liked it a lot. If I enjoy the rest, I'll probably get that one too. Thanks!

If you like this style, you can't go wrong with any of Spyros' or Hugues' suggestions. These are pretty much the pinnacle.