Thread: FEATURED CD : Sentido Comon : Akineton Retard (DVD)

FEATURED CD : Sentido Comon : Akineton Retard (DVD)

Credit for this featured CD : Firth

Based on a CD received from the collection bequeathed to Progressive Ears by the late Chris Buckley (Winkersnuff)

Firth's comments:

Detailed Reviews [Fiaba - 2001 - "Lo Sgabello del Rospo"] - ProgressoR : http://www.progressor.net/review/aki...tard_2001.html :

Synopsis. The Chilean Progressive Rock movement's history is dated as far back as the end of the '60s, and the names of the heroes that were standing at the cradle of it, such as "Traffic Sound", will forever be part of the annals of the genre. Along with "Tryo" and some other performers, Akineton Retard takes one of the leading positions among the contemporary Chilean stalwarts of uncompromisingly progressive music.

Their eponymous debut outing is probably the most beautiful RIO-related album released in recent years. It is no secret that even some experienced Prog-lovers that don't enjoy RIO, found this music to be too angular if not downright ugly. Like U Totem's "Strange Attractors", which was my introduction to the genre itself, "Akineton Retard" is just perfect to begin exploring that wonderful musical dimension and fall in love with it after all. Five out of the seven tracks contain singing (with lyrics in Spanish), but not many, which is just natural for this kind of music. The vocals are of the two types: rather coarse, which remind me of those on Univers Zero's "Heresie", and clear and histrionic in character. Sometimes Estratos Akrias and Petras Das Petren sing together, though they are saxophonists above all.

In a general sense, it can be said that Akineton Retard follows the canons of classic RIO, but although their music isn't abundant in jazzy features, it is less dark and is more melodic than that, which is usually typical for representatives of the classic, i.e. Belgian, school of the genre.
    Regards,

Duncan

I don't have this DVD, but I have four of their five albums.

I'm not clear what is on this DVD. I looked at the track list, but can't identify any of the songs from earlier albums. It gets good reviews on PA, I'd be curious what folks say about it here.

Bill

Haven't got this one either. The four titles I've heard are in the keeper pile for sure. They cover a lot of ground, heard them described as a South American counterpart to Belgium's Flat Earth Society. Not sure I agree, but if you like one, you'll probably like the other. I kind of associated them w/ Les Projectionnistes, (which is kind of a Miriodor offshoot). Don't have this one, it looks like there are couple of tunes that overlap w/ their Cadencia Urmana disc. Would bet that it's another highly spiff release.

Hello Gang.
    A fan here!

"Sentido Común" was a multimedia project based on the interaction and improvisation of images and live music, with pre-edited videos mixed live by the visual artist Gabriela Lazcano joining the music of these guys, while they also rehearse improvisations.

This DVD started as a staging, and then the idea was to release a disc with images, not like "The Wall", which is a movie, and not like "Woodstock", nor is it a short film. It is super abstract (obviously, as they are), and from there the experiment was launched to integrate the visual projections, beginning to give a different concept and wardrobe to each recital, in one they appeared dressed as in the series "Cosmos", by Carl Sagan.

The novelty lies in the fact that here the image assumes an active role, being one more instrument of the group and sensually involving the viewer, making the audience vibrate with a violent fusion of jazz and rock, plus a delirious stage proposal, as always. So unfortunately you will see a part of the art of this record, only the auditory part, this is accompanied by all the visual part and the guys playing live ... " (Translated from CabezaDeMoog's blog)

For example:

More info.:
    https://www.discogs.com/es/release/5...ido-Com%C3%BAn
    Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

I have most of their albums but I don’t have this. Love the band, my fave is probably the debut: angry music that’s also brilliant music. A rare combination.
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile