15. Caravan It's None Of Your Business
    16. Transatlantic The Absolute Universe
    17. Sel Balamir Swell
    18. Between The Buried And Me Colors II
    19. Public Service Broadcasting Bright Magic
    20. Steve Hackett Under A Mediterranean Sky

Very interesting list...
    The Prog Corner

This just shows me how wide the gap is between, oh, I don't know...flashy magazine poll prog and what I listen to. I've bought a ton of stuff this year, but don't own a single release on that list, lol. The fact that Black Midi is not anywhere on there blows my mind, but what do I know? It is subjective, after all. I would call most of those releases, certainly the ones that I'm at least familiar with 'safe to pick, past reputation, bands signed to a label' prog...creative, wonderful bands though they may be.

Neil

Quote Originally Posted by boilk View Post
    This just shows me how wide the gap is between, oh, I don't know...flashy magazine poll prog and what I listen to. I've bought a ton of stuff this year, but don't own a single release on that list, lol. The fact that Black Midi is not anywhere on there blows my mind, but what do I know? It is subjective, after all. I would call most of those releases, certainly the ones that I'm at least familiar with 'safe to pick, past reputation, bands signed to a label' prog...creative, wonderful bands though they may be.

Neil
    And very anglo-saxon oriented I found

Neil
    Some of the inclusions don't really fall into the "prog" category IMO anyway (whether symph or metal). Field Music? Art-rock/pop maybe, but what are they doing on the list with Transatlantic and Dream Theater?

Field Music are great though, and deserve to be listened to.
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

Not necessarily disagreeing, but 'prog' is one of the genre links on Field Music's bandcamp page and the band are the one's who choose the tags.

Neil

Not necessarily disagreeing, but 'prog' is one of the genre links on Field Music's bandcamp page and the band are the one's who choose the tags.

Neil
    Weird... I would have never categorized them that way, but they're free to choose how to describe themselves of course.

They're more comparable to XTC and Kate Bush, IMO.
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

^ Well, I've heard Kate Bush described as prog but I think art rock might be a better label. The two overlap a lot anyway especially if you feel that prog can be song oriented. Anyway, no, I'm not trying to start a what is prog debate. Lol.
    When you list all the qualities that you despise and you realize you're describing yourself.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Eek.
    My favorite fortune cookie read: "The only way to be successful on the internet is the keep the assholes preventing valuable discussion and eliminate the discussion itself."

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    Very interesting list...
    An embarrassing list IMO. But then I would say that I suppose.

I guess they get some credit for not putting the Yes album in just because it's by Yes and it's an album, but even still there are a lot of records in that list that can only be there almost entirely because of who they were made by and not because of any prog (let alone actually progressive) content.
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

Pretty boring list. Or at least very far from my own taste.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    Pretty boring list. Or at least very far from my own taste.
    Maybe I'm in the minority with this opinion but I strongly feel that prog metal should have its own list. And no, I am not anti-prog metal. I think fusion and post-rock should have their own lists too.
    When you list all the qualities that you despise and you realize you're describing yourself.

I count exactly 5 records I would list as prog. I suspect this may have more to do with who purchases advertising space.
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

Quote Originally Posted by Dana5140 View Post
    I count exactly 5 records I would list as prog. I suspect this may have more to do with who purchases advertising space.
    Ooh, let's see if I can guess which ones you think are prog. I'll say Caravan, Transatlantic, Big Big Train, Frost* and Isildur's Bane/PH. How did I do?

The Future Bites? Really?

I am not a fan of this list. Very little there that is actually Prog but whatever...
    The Prog Corner

Quote Originally Posted by Mascodagama View Post
    I guess they get some credit for not putting the Yes album in just because it's by Yes and it's an album, but even still there are a lot of records in that list that can only be there almost entirely because of who they were made by
    I thought the exact same thing. I was almost impressed that they didn't feel obliged to slot that one in. Of course, they make up for it with numerous other choices...

I'll just say this list shares zero in common with mine, although I do like some of the albums chosen.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I have and like the Hedvig Mollestad album, it will probably be in my top 10.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Uninspired

Ooh, let's see if I can guess which ones you think are prog. I'll say Caravan, Transatlantic, Big Big Train, Frost* and Isildur's Bane/PH. How did I do?
    60%. I include Steve Wilson and Steve Hackett, and remove Frost and Isuldur's Bane.
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

Quote Originally Posted by Dana5140 View Post
    60%. I include Steve Wilson and Steve Hackett, and remove Frost and Isuldur's Bane.
    Interesting. Have you heard that Steve Hackett? It's very classical sounding and not really prog at all; just classical guitar with strings. Also, that SW is apparently not very prog and is supposed to be his most pop album to date. Anyway, I'm curious why you don't consider Frost* to be prog? Or IB for that matter.

Just curious. Is this the critics top 20 or the readers top 20?

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I believe its the journalist staff.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

90% of that list is dodgy prog to say the least!

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    I have and like the Hedvig Mollestad album, it will probably be in my top 10.
    As Meat Loaf would say, 1 out of 20 ain't bad!

And let's face it, if Meat Loaf had made an album this year it would probably be on this list.
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Just curious. Is this the critics top 20 or the readers top 20?
    What is Prog anymore?....🥸