Thread: Steppenwolf: Box Set coming!

Steppenwolf: Box Set coming!

A new comprehensive Steppenwolf box set (“Steppenwolf: Magic Carpet Ride - the Dunhill/ABC Years ’67 – ’71") is being put out imminently by the fine folks at Esoteric Recordings UK (via Cherry Red UK). The release will be an 8CD Box that will contain all eight of the ABC Dunhill-released studio and live albums, all newly remastered from original master tapes. In addition to the accumulation of the band’s Dunhill releases, a collection of 26 bonus single edits and mono mixes will be included. Also included is a 52-page booklet with rare pix and a write-up by Malcolm Dome (who interviewed many of the key players). And a poster! Check out the cool promo vid.

Very tempting. I would like a new live recording from the glory days.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I could go for that.

All I've really ever owned was the double live (both in vinyl gatefold and later in CD), but I did borrow some studio albums from time to time

the trailer doesn't spend much time on the album sleeves themselves, but they look all-cardboard yippie.gif gatefold (probably some invented, like Esoteric did for some Caravan albums in that boxset) sleeves

too bad there are no bonus BBC Tapes-type of stuff
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Should be a fun set. ABC was notorious for throwing out tapes of outtakes/extras so it figures that there is not a lot of bonus material.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    I could go for that.

All I've really ever owned was the double live
    One of my desert island discs, even though Kay was never happy with it. You cannot deny the magnitude of the material, though.

There are some good live recordings to include. But, I suspect licensing would be the issue.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I bought 'Gold' ( 'best of') some months ago - excellent sound! If this one has just as good sound, I might consider.

Jerry Edmonton was one of the tightest US-rock drummers ever!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Jerry Edmonton was one of the tightest US-rock drummers ever!
    Canadian!
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Canadian!
    Right ! - Ill' extend it to: one of the tightest North American drummers ever!

Mine arrives tomorrow!