Thread: RIP Stephen Sondheim

RIP Stephen Sondheim

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/11/26/t...heim-dead.html

Died suddenly at age 91, a day after celebrating Thanksgiving with friends. A legend and he came across so modest in the interviews and stories I've heard.

truly…TRULY a great composer.
    “PIES! MORE PIES!”…..

Rest in peace
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

A lovely man.

1. One of my first jobs when I came to the US was working the phones for a British airline (I actually worked for both the big U.K. carriers). I once took a call from him booking his trip to London - he was very chatty and friendly and not in any rush to get off the phone.

2. My wife has been a Sondheim fan for most of her life. She wrote him a fan letter when she was a teenager and he actually sent a lengthy response - this was pre-emailing days making it appreciated all the more.

I can’t say enough about how much I admire his music and particularly his lyrics - e.g. he was the lyricist for Bernstein’s West Side Story.
    One of my favorite recordings is of his own renditions of early versions of his own songs - he’s not the best singer but he still brings out the wit, joy and pathos inherent in the words.
    This is a major loss for the world of stage musicals as now it seems to be taken over by over-ambitious pop stars who are frankly not remotely in Sondheim’s league and more interested in staging their greatest hits. RIP maestro.

A true master. One of the greatest. RIP

RIP
    A local theater has sort of specialized on Sondheim for decades.
    When we were subscription members you could always count on one or two a year, sometimes 3 or four.
    Assassins was a personal favorite. A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To The Forum is one of the funniest plays ( and movies ).
    He can go real dark, but hey..It's Art.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Unknown

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Devastating news! I have several personal connections with him and his music. The first movie I saw in a theater was A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum, and my parents took me to many of his shows on Broadway. My father worked with him on the council for The Dramatists Guild, so they were friends and mutual admirers.

My wife is a big fan too, so part of our early bonding was helped along by his music, and we had a couple of run-ins with him in the city, which were special moments for us. My first wedding anniversary to her was a window-card from Company, which he very graciously signed for us, and it hangs by our front door today. I once sent him a fan letter too, when I was a kid, without knowing he and my father were friends, which was kind of funny. He once provided my wife and I with his house seats to one of his shows, which was very nice and cool!

My wife is going to be a wreck when she gets home from work! I doubt he'll ever be replaced in achievements, innovation, and stature. Sweeney Todd is my favorite, those song have been running through my head forever!
    Primary procreation is accomplished…

One of the all time greats for anyone into theater. RIP....

Sondheim's music and lyrics have been a part of my life as long as I can remember, starting with WSS and continuing as I grew up around theatre and theatre people, including my mom, who played roles in many a local production of Sondheim's works. A special memory for me was seeing a performance of Sweeney Todd at Ravinia in 2001 with the orchestra (mostly CSO players) on the stage and the action happening literally in front of and all around the players. George Hearn as Sweeney, Patti LuPone as Mrs Lovett, and Neil Patrick Harris as Tobias.

I doubt we'll see his like again in terms of quality, depth, and longevity in the genre. RIP
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Rest in peace.

Quote Originally Posted by proggy_jazzer View Post
    Sondheim's music and lyrics have been a part of my life as long as I can remember, starting with WSS and continuing as I grew up around theatre and theatre people, including my mom, who played roles in many a local production of Sondheim's works. A special memory for me was seeing a performance of Sweeney Todd at Ravinia in 2001 with the orchestra (mostly CSO players) on the stage and the action happening literally in front of and all around the players. George Hearn as Sweeney, Patti LuPone as Mrs Lovett, and Neil Patrick Harris as Tobias.

I doubt we'll see his like again in terms of quality, depth, and longevity in the genre. RIP
    Wow, I think I’ve seen video of that cast but forgot Harris played Toby! Have to look for it. I saw Harris in Assassins as John Wilkes Booth. He’s great !

I played percussion once in a college production of Company. The song "Another Hundred People" was the only time I've had goosebumps while performing.

Long time fan here, too. Not much I can say that you haven't; Assassins and Company are particular favorites.

Great composer ,
    One of my all-time favourite songs is Send In The Clowns

Quote Originally Posted by alucard View Post
    Great composer ,
    One of my all-time favourite songs is Send In The Clowns
    I was walking with my I-Pod the other day and the Frank Sinatra version of that song popped up on random play. What an amazing song / version of the song that is.

Seeing the original Broadway production of Sweeney Todd was one of the best theater experiences of my life. Fortunately for younger generations, the Tim Burton movie is a very good screen translation.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Seeing the original Broadway production of Sweeney Todd was one of the best theater experiences of my life. Fortunately for younger generations, the Tim Burton movie is a very good screen translation.
    In emotional feel, yes.

But so much of the music is missing, due to Burton's decision to have only the principals sing. Sondheim wrote quite a lot for the chorus, some of the best songs, and it's all gone from the movie.

Yes, it's an abbreviated version for sure, and it certainly can't stand on its own as a replacement for the full show.