Thread: Affinity - Expanded boxed set from Esoteric

Affinity - Expanded boxed set from Esoteric

Some of you will be familiar with the various archival titles released separately, but they're now gathered together in one rather attractive new box, I must say. I've always loved this album, and I've enjoyed living and breathing this stuff the last week or so. My old Repertoire CD is now in the sell pile!

My review is up here:

https://www.velvetthunder.co.uk/affi...ered-esoteric/
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk

This looks really good. Just the other day I was looking to dig deeper into the Affinity catalogue but was put off by all the bits and pieces scattered around various labels. I think I will get this Esoteric set and thanks for the great review. I think the cover photo is amazing - just on its own enough to buy the boxset, even though I already have the main CD (on the Akarma label).
    Last edited by Munster; 11-26-2021 at 01:11 PM.
    Hit that long lunar note and let it float

It's a completely awesome album. Linda Hoyle possessed at least three quite disparate levels of timbre, and displayed the technique of interlapping them through dubbing on the record - rendering the impression that there were indeed more than one (female) vocalist. Their cover of Laura Nyro's "Eli's Coming" is absolutely masterful, and ALL of Nyro's songs were a total ass to master in the first place. Most attempts simply fail at sounding anything near convincing.

"Night Flight" is Affinity's main statement, though. Her voice is so powerful in that last verse that even basic analog speakers distort at direct volume. No wonder she was held in such high regard, and Ronnie Scott apparently thought the world of her.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    No wonder she was held in such high regard, and Ronnie Scott apparently thought the world of her.
    I enjoyed the anecdote about Ronnie Scott grabbing the mic and admonishing an indifferent audience: 'What have you been drinking? Concrete? It's like working in Madame Tussaud's. Why don't you all hold hands and try to contact the living?' as well as his comic lines such as 'You should have been here last night - somebody should have been here last night!' and 'Someone phoned up and asked 'What time does the show start?' ... I said 'What time can you get here?'
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk

Thanks for the review and the heads up.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

I got this boxset too. The difference between this one and the (now very expensive) Japanese boxset Ultimate Collection is that the Esoteric set starts with the original LP, and adds a live without Linda Hoyle-disc, plus the pre-Affinity US Jazz Trio recordings and ends with the demo-disk with recordings from the new Affinity-line up with Vivienne McAuliffe, while the Japanese collection seems to put the whole chronological, starting with the oldest track from 1965. I must admit I never heard the original album, so I was very suprised by a cover of the Annette Peacock-song Mr. Joy (originally for the Paul Bley-album with the same title).

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    I enjoyed the anecdote about Ronnie Scott grabbing the mic and admonishing an indifferent audience: 'What have you been drinking? Concrete? It's like working in Madame Tussaud's. Why don't you all hold hands and try to contact the living?' as well as his comic lines such as 'You should have been here last night - somebody should have been here last night!' and 'Someone phoned up and asked 'What time does the show start?' ... I said 'What time can you get here?'
    He had a mordant sense of humour anyway, but it should also be remembered that back in the day Ronnie often had a lot to put up with from audiences. In those days there weren't that many places even in Soho where you could drink until 3am without either being a member or having to pass any real door policy. Ronnies' was one of the best known of such places. As a result on any given evening there could be quite a lot of people in the club who were indifferent to the music and were just there to drink. Frequently they would talk through the music. I recall my first visit there - Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers! Not a band that was in danger of being drowned out by conversation, but some were doing their best. Art's dry comment after the first or second number was "Thanks for bringing your square friends with you". A couple of years later I was working my first proper job in London after graduating and was mortified when my boss, an utter hoon, told me he'd been in there the previous night - "a guitarist - Joe Paz or something? - he seemed quite good" - and one of his wealthy idiot friends had tossed a £10 note on the stage, as if Joe Pass was a busker. And was apparently surprised when the note was tossed back with the comment "I don't want your fucking money". I pretty much just wanted to die.
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile