Thread: Prog Report Awards 2021 – Are there too many bands from InsideOut Music?

Prog Report Awards 2021 – Are there too many bands from InsideOut Music?

when reading the list of nominees for the 2021 prog report awards, it jumps right at you that in quite a few categories a significant number of bands are with insideout music, leaving little space for bands from other labels, at least imo.

as an example, take a look at the insideout bands among the nominees for the category - artist / band of the year -:

dream theater
    leprous
    liquid tension experiment
    transatlantic
    nmb
    ross jennings
    steve hackett
    vola
    yes
    frost
    nad sylvan

the only bands in this category that are not with insideout are

between the buried and me (sumerian)
    lifesigns (self release)
    glass hammer (sounds resources)
    mastodon (reprise records warner music)
    steven wilson (k scope)
    styx (universal)

one could argue that this speaks for the quality of insideout as a record label. however, looking at some of the nominee lists in other categories reveals a largely similar picture, with bands from insideout and the wider dream theater/mike portnoy/haken/neal morse network in the majority, at least imo.

what are your thoughts about the nominee selections for the 2021 prog report awards?

I just think it shows Inside Out knows how to make good business decisions by signing the bands they do.
    Kudos to them as well for signing these bands, as the Record Label business ain't what it used to be.

Of course, I do question the nomination process when it is done by fans voting, as it just becomes a popularity contest based on who looks better in a swimsuit.

I love Styx and their last 2 releases are wonderful, but I'm surprised they are even nominated considering most people don't think of them as prog(except us smart folks).
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice Bandcamp: https://richardhermans.bandcamp.comYouTube: https://youtu.be/F34jl6fQVmA

Obviously because IOM have signed up all the major bands.

Sent from my SM-J330FN using Tapatalk

no
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Unknown

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Do you mean the Prog magazine awards?
    Primary procreation is accomplished…

Those awards are completely meaningless, so why worry about it?
    Infinite Ceiling on www.ckcufm.com every Thursday night at 8:30 with me or Mark Keill, archived shows: https://cod.ckcufm.com/programs/112/...tml?filter=all
    Electronic Meditation on www.ckcufm.com archived shows: https://cod.ckcufm.com/programs/462/...tml?filter=all

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    There's prog awards?

Ember
    Inside Out have gotten better at promotion. They aggressively place their music on more streaming platforms, where more people have heard it. They get more articles written in online publications, and produce more hits on the internets. People vote for the acts they know. None of this says anything about the value of the awards, just about why that particular label does well.
    "I have not yet begun to procrastinate."

Perhaps that's the label they know about.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Inside Out signs great acts that release great product. Where's the problem?
    Prog's Not Dead

Slightly disappointed that Ciccada, Caligonaut, Black Midi, and Ske albums were not considered.

At Progarchives, those albums occupy spots # 2, 8, 10, 11. Plus, those four albums have more ratings than all the other top 11 albums.
    Last edited by Crawford Glissadevil; 5 Days Ago at 08:11 AM.

Hold the fort! Now, you're trying to tell me that there's a chance magazine awards might not be given based on critical evaluation, but rather on how artists and influential labels have paid for adverts and on how many copies they know they will sell if anything related to those artists is on their cover?
    bassist in Papangu, a zeuhl metal band from Brazil https://papangu.bandcamp.com/album/holoceno

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Hold the fort! Now, you're trying to tell me that there's a chance magazine awards might not be given based on critical evaluation, but rather on how artists and influential labels have paid for adverts and on how many copies they know they will sell if anything related to those artists is on their cover?
    Various sponsorships of the awards are available for purchase every year; I was solicited one year (by mistake, I assume).

The 'Headline Package' sponsorship cost is £30K.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

^^^ whoa... I doubt even Inside Out moves sufficient plastic, art books and various sundries to afford that!

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    ^^^ whoa... I doubt even Inside Out moves sufficient plastic, art books and various sundries to afford that!
    so, who is buying these packages? If no one is buying, they wouldn't be selling them at those prices.

You think $40,000 is a lot of money to SONY worldwide? I don't.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

^^^ Happy to be wrong on this. Kudos to them for figuring out a business model that succeeds in bringing at least one form of prog to the masses. If they truly believe in the music they put out then all the better.

EDIT: I didn't see your second message when posting this. Is $40K a lot of money to Sony? Of course not. Is it their best use of $40K? I would be skeptical. But it is what it is.

Certain magazines , Not the one being discussed, and I won't name names either for fear of ridicule, most definitely favour their advertiser's. In fact you often notice that the reviews correlate with the content in certain issues. Even press releases for Pete's sake. "It's pay to play" the curse of all musicians and vanity projects alike.

Anyway it's a business and that's why I ain't in it now.

"Buy ad space, get a review" is typically how it works with magazines.

Well before resorting to theories accusing advertising influencing editorial content ( which, well, I know, not impossible of course ) I would first apply Occam's razor... could it be because... well... Inside Out is a prog label?

v

Quote Originally Posted by vmartell View Post
    Well before resorting to theories accusing advertising influencing editorial content ( which, well, I know, not impossible of course ) I would first apply Occam's razor... could it be because... well... Inside Out is a prog label?
    Someone in this thread has a smoking gun that labels are offered the chance to "sponsor" the awards, and people still put their heads in the sand because they want to believe the awards are real and not pro wrestling. Gotta love it.

It's the same in the corporate world. When you see high tech companies winning various industry awards, that's coming out of the marketing budget.
    Infinite Ceiling on www.ckcufm.com every Thursday night at 8:30 with me or Mark Keill, archived shows: https://cod.ckcufm.com/programs/112/...tml?filter=all
    Electronic Meditation on www.ckcufm.com archived shows: https://cod.ckcufm.com/programs/462/...tml?filter=all