Thread: FEATURED CD : Zubatto Syndicate : Zubatto Syndicate

FEATURED CD : Zubatto Syndicate : Zubatto Syndicate

Credit for this featured CD : Bake 2

Based on a CD received from the collection bequeathed to Progressive Ears by the late Chris Buckley (Winkersnuff)

Bake 2's comments:

Was very glad to have received the first Zubatto Syndicate release from 2011. The band is a 12 piece unit w/ an extra percussionist on a couple of tracks. The disc is over 72 minutes long so there's a lot to take in. If you're a fan of Critters Buggin', Clubfoot Orchestra, Secret Chiefs 3 or FZ/ Waka Jawaka & Grand Wazoo, you'll probably dig this one.

It's all instrumental and the guitarist, Andrew Boscardin is credited w/ composing, arranging and producing this release. Something you might not have guessed after listening, since it's largely an album of carefully crafted horn ensemble work and there's not a lot of up front guitar playing. Really good unison and intersecting lines on clarinet, sax, oboe, trombone and English horn come to the fore most of the time. There's something undeniably humorous about hearing an oboe w/ congas working on a samba groove on track 2. If at this point you expect to be in for lots of other unusual textural and tonal juxtapositions, you're in luck. Occasionally some bits of beautiful electric piano work and bass pop up, (at times the former might remind you of George Duke or Deodato). When Boscardin does come forward on guitar, his playing is gorgeous and seems very aware of context. The drums sound great throughout and the early section of Greenboy of Hurrah is especially powerful and really cracks.

Overall, this a really lovely cinematic, semi-big band recording that kicks pretty hard in places. Maybe not as groundbreaking as the great Mingus or Zappa records, (some of those took up a lot of space and greatly reduced the number of new possibilities for any musician who follows). Anyway, highly recommend this one and look forward to checking out the second one that came out in 2015.
    Regards,

Duncan

Uhmm ... nice!

Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

Quote Originally Posted by TCC View Post
    Uhmm ... nice!

Do agree though. Thanks to this thread (and ultimately thanks to Chris Buckley!) I just picked up the Zubatto CD used for a good price. I don't think any fresh musical ground is getting broken here, but what's going on is right up my alley.
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Listening to this now...its pretty nice. Maybe not something I have the desire to own, but its certainly well done and enjoyable.
    My favorite fortune cookie read: "The only way to be successful on the internet is the keep the assholes preventing valuable discussion and eliminate the discussion itself."

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

Quote Originally Posted by TCC View Post
    Uhmm ... nice!

This hits the spot and a main reason I joined this site, to hear excellent music I never heard of before.