Thread: Prog music on Spotify - Is there a chance for prog artists to get more streams?

Prog music on Spotify - Is there a chance for prog artists to get more streams?

Hey there,

when comparing streaming numbers of prog artists on Spotify with those of other more mainstream artists, it is obvious that the prog genre cannot survive in the streaming business to a comparable degree.

What, do you think, should new prog bands do in order to increase their online visibility and to get more streams, in particular because the prog genre largely relies on the live music sector which has been shut down to a significant extent because of the pandemic?

Quote Originally Posted by Proggie View Post
    ...in particular because the prog genre largely relies on the live music sector...
    Who / What are you thinking of? For the most part, other than a specialty festival here or there [most with stupid names: "Be PROG My Friend", etc etc], what *I* think of as 'prog' has had relatively few choices to perform live for decades.

So, I am curious about a few examples of who you mean.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Proggie View Post
    Hey there,

when comparing streaming numbers of prog artists on Spotify with those of other more mainstream artists, it is obvious that the prog genre cannot survive in the streaming business to a comparable degree.

What, do you think, should new prog bands do in order to increase their online visibility and to get more streams, in particular because the prog genre largely relies on the live music sector which has been shut down to a significant extent because of the pandemic?
    Well to me, Prog bands like other bands, can not survive using Spitify anyway. Their margin of profit amounts to pennies which the Lords of Spitify dole out to their little underlings.
    So, I think using Spitify as an example doesn't work.
    If you get the impression I don't like Spitify or it's Plantation owner business model, you're right.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice Bandcamp: https://richardhermans.bandcamp.comYouTube: https://youtu.be/F34jl6fQVmA

It's not just Spotify. Its every single streaming medium including YouTube, etc. Streaming is here to stay whether you love it or hate it, and artists need to adapt...or not. Its beyond shitty for artists, but I truly think this goes way back to digital files being shared on Napster, etc way back when. Streaming is just a "legalized" result of that trend. When people learned they could stop buying cds and LPS to hear music, they did. Some of us freaks still love vinyl and cds, others don't give any fucks. CD/vinyl sales, merch including shirts and bags, and ticket sales seem to be the way forward, which it has always been, just with the large elephant in the room (streaming) trouncing on everything.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    It's not just Spotify. Its every single streaming medium including YouTube, etc. Streaming is here to stay whether you love it or hate it, and artists need to adapt...or not. Its beyond shitty for artists, but I truly think this goes way back to digital files being shared on Napster, etc way back when. Streaming is just a "legalized" result of that trend. When people learned they could stop buying cds and LPS to hear music, they did. Some of us freaks still love vinyl and cds, others don't give any fucks. CD/vinyl sales, merch including shirts and bags, and ticket sales seem to be the way forward, which it has always been, just with the large elephant in the room (streaming) trouncing on everything.
    To me it's not about whether streaming is bad and physical media is a thing of the past.
    It's about how much Spotify pays artists per stream.
    For all it's wonders, Spotify claims they've never posted profit since starting.
    Yet Daniel Ek(should be EEEK)lol net worth as of 2021 is 4.7 BILLION and he has a home worth 500 million.
    But his company continues to post negative profit...interesting numbers, how does that work?

In fairness, this is a very sensitive topic and can turn a thread into a nuclear wasteland rather quickly, so I don't want to get much into it.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice Bandcamp: https://richardhermans.bandcamp.comYouTube: https://youtu.be/F34jl6fQVmA

I just tallied up my Spotify earnings for 2021 so far: $1.18.

Most of my recent streaming income is from Tidal--and I don't even know what that is, but there are eight transactions this month ranging from 1-10 cents.

Apparently starting next year I'm going to be getting a 1099 for this nonsense.
    RATS' ALLEY: my mom's neighbor likes it. Available on CD and vinyl.
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-6.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    To me it's not about whether streaming is bad and physical media is a thing of the past.
    It's about how much Spotify pays artists per stream.
    For all it's wonders, Spotify claims they've never posted profit since starting.
    Yet Daniel Ek(should be EEEK)lol net worth as of 2021 is 4.7 BILLION and he has a home worth 500 million.
    But his company continues to post negative profit...interesting numbers, how does that work?

In fairness, this is a very sensitive topic and can turn a thread into a nuclear wasteland rather quickly, so I don't want to get much into it.
    Right, exactly. I remember years ago on this very same forum, saying that streaming was the future, and I pretty much got shouted down every time I would say it. But unfortunately the tech itself was poisoned by greed. We went from greedy record companies to greedy tech companies. Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

...and dont get me started on owning NFTs, lol.
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

The eons are closing
    What! My portfolio of Roger Dean NFTs has no value???

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    No one plans to take the path that brings you lower

The one thing that really depressed me and made me feel all is lost is the way of how the steam sites "remunerate" the artist. Even if you fire up Haken, Barock Project or your favourite band, because of the prorated model, it is likely that Taylor Swift or Bad Bunny or (pick your top of the charts act) will get the money - NOT the artists you are trying to support. Only way, unfortunately, is to watch the acts live, with physical media, preferably vinyl, being a distant - way distant - second. Try to buy straight from the artists.

v