Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: The Flower Kings - By Royal Decree - 4 March 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    I feel the same.

And yes, I have listened every TFK album since. At least once.
    I understand if someone just doesn't care for TFK, but I would assert that it's a lazy (and inaccurate) criticism to say that they've just been doing the same thing since 1999 or whenever.

The same thing could theoretically be said about most bands (in any genre), but that doesn't diminish their worth. For me personally, I don't care that TFK don't reinvent themselves on every album -- in fact, I'm glad they don't, because I like their style and sound.

Maybe if the new Yes album sounded more like the old Yes, more people here would have liked it. I doubt there would have been a similar "same old, same old" critique leveled at it.
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Seeing Transatlantic Saturday reinvigorated my interest in TA and FK. I always enjoy both band’s concerts - just sitting back and letting Roine’s solos wash over me. It’s effortless, like hearing a good psych band. It’d be great to have FK tour here for their next opus! So I guess I wouldn’t want FK’s albums to change that much. But a little is ok. But I’m also happy to just get more FK, even if technically we have enough.

^^^ agree - I think Roine used an analogy that it is like a familiar room but each time the furniture is re-arranged, wallpaper is different, different painting on the wall. somehow familiar yet different. For me each album has their own unique identity and character. By Royal Decree sounds quite different from Islands to my ears.

But of course its to each his own, music is subjective and if the band isn't doing it for you anymore no need to force it

Although I agree there has been very little change over the course of the last two decades for the Flower Kings, I must say that for one reason or another, it simply doesn't bother me (even though it does with certain other bands. I suppose there's no rhyme or reason to it). To me, The Flower Kings catalogue is one big 'world', and I welcome a certain level of familiarity within that world. With each new release, the world grows a bit more. Comfort prog for sure, but that stuff is just as important to me as new and experimental.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I'm no expert on the later albums, but I would say each of these sound pretty different from each other in both production and musical approach:

Stardust/Flower...very similar production
    Space Revolver....new sound, Jonas changes sound drastically
    Unfold....very different but continuation of Space Revolver vibe
    Adam/Eve....different yet again
    Paradox Hotel....different yet again (again)
    Sum....not sure how to classify this?

Rainmaker had similar production from Space Revolver but not as "colorful"

Comfort music is important for me. If it's something I truly love, there's nothing better than getting more of the same. I can sink into it and outside of some different elements since the last time, know what I'm getting (i.e., More of what I like). If I want something where someone is yelling at me over a band that sounds like a machine gun or something that sounds like a moose walking through an orchestra, there's plenty of it. Just let TFK make pretty music I enjoy, and everything is fine.
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    To me, The Flower Kings catalogue is one big 'world', and I welcome a certain level of familiarity within that world. With each new release, the world grows a bit more.
    This this this! It's like a massive science fiction novel series. Each new book (album) just adds to the world building.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    I've always said that a band as prolific as TFK is bound to have something for someone. For me, it's Paradox Hotel, followed by Adam & Eve. There are moments here and there in the rest of their catalog, but... yeah, I can't tell one album from another. Maybe Space Revolver because that was my first TFK album not counting Stolt's original The Flower King. I love Paradox Hotel though.

I’ve never heard anyone say that before. I’m the other fan who loves Paradox Hotel the most!

Quote Originally Posted by Splicer View Post
    If I want something where someone is yelling at me over a band that sounds like a machine gun or something that sounds like a moose walking through an orchestra, there's plenty of it. Just let TFK make pretty music I enjoy, and everything is fine.
    LOL! We need more Moose in prog!

Quote Originally Posted by dmh84 View Post
    I’ve never heard anyone say that before. I’m the other fan who loves Paradox Hotel the most!
    Yeah, that is a rare favorite. I'm going to give Adam & Eve a listen in a few, and see how that one has aged. I know there are a couple of odd songs, plus Daniel...

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    I've always said that a band as prolific as TFK is bound to have something for someone. For me, it's Paradox Hotel, followed by Adam & Eve. There are moments here and there in the rest of their catalog, but... yeah, I can't tell one album from another. Maybe Space Revolver because that was my first TFK album not counting Stolt's original The Flower King. I love Paradox Hotel though.
    I seem to like these two albums a lot more than most too, especially "Paradox". When I see lists of best Flower Kings albums "Adam & Eve" is almost always near the bottom, but it has some killer stuff on it IMO.

yeah if I were to make a list I'd probably rank "Paradox Hotel" at or near the bottom. But it is interesting that every TFK album is someones somewhere very favorite!
    I like Adam & Eve but it is another where I think they got the songs in the wrong order, should have led (and closed) with Driver's Seat - like they did with I Am The Sun with a part 1, part 2.

Really love both Paradox Hotel as well as Adam & Eve. The latter is kind of an odd one in their catalog, IMO, maybe in part due to Daniel Gildenlow being a full member, but the songs are mostly killer, and the two epics are among their best I think. "Love Supreme" stands out to me as it has a chorus that repeats more often than TFK usually allow for. Most of the time it seems they only repeat a chorus twice and then move on, but that "It shines even brighter" part happens more than twice and I love it.

Paradox was the first TFK album I bought, and so it's always going to hold a special place in my heart. The Sum of No Evil is probably my favorite in terms of nostalgia though, as it was the first new TFK album that came out after I had become a fan and my hype levels were through the roof waiting on that one to get released. Still love that opening track, as well as "Love Is the Only Answer".

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    I'm no expert on the later albums, but I would say each of these sound pretty different from each other in both production and musical approach:

Stardust/Flower...very similar production
    Space Revolver....new sound, Jonas changes sound drastically
    Unfold....very different but continuation of Space Revolver vibe
    Adam/Eve....different yet again
    Paradox Hotel....different yet again (again)
    Sum....not sure how to classify this?

Rainmaker had similar production from Space Revolver but not as "colorful"
    I agree with you. I think a lot of their albums have a sound that is distinct from one to the next. Rainmaker had more "crunch" than Space Revolver, but like you said, not as colorful. It also had that Steely-Dan-goes-prog tune with "Serious Dreamers".

They also changed their sound a bit with Banks of Eden, incorporating a bit of a harder, darker edge into the epic track there. The shorter tunes were more light and upbeat though. Then with Desolation Rose they had a more unified sound playing with darker themes than they ever had previously I think. The tune "Last Carnivore" sounded a bit unlike any TFK song I'd heard before or since. That album seemed to alienate some longtime fans because of how much they had changed (at least in some fans' perception; a friend of mine from the old Genesis forums kind of fell out of love with the band after Banks of Eden and Desolation Rose).

Though I loved those two albums, I'm really enjoying the stuff Roine and the guys have been putting out recently. A lot of it is familiar at times, but I find that comforting. I hope Roine never changes drastically from his style of writing.

Edit: Forgot to mention Unfold the Future -- perhaps one of the most sprawling, ambitious albums I've ever heard by any band. And most of it actually works! TFK at their most jazz fusion-iest, and I love it. Totally different from Flower Power too.

The Rainmaker and Adam & Eve are the two albums that grew the most for me over the years. I liked parts of both at the time, but it wasn't until randomly throwing them on years later that they both clicked with me from beginning to end. Now I'd probably place them much higher in the 'rankings' than 15 years ago.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by SRS View Post
    ^^^ agree - I think Roine used an analogy that it is like a familiar room but each time the furniture is re-arranged, wallpaper is different, different painting on the wall. somehow familiar yet different. For me each album has their own unique identity and character. By Royal Decree sounds quite different from Islands to my ears.

But of course its to each his own, music is subjective and if the band isn't doing it for you anymore no need to force it
    Totally agreed, with all of this.

Everyone has different tastes, and they can change over time. So if TFK doesn't do it for you anymore, like you said, no need to force it. Just go find something else to enjoy, and leave the rest of us in peace.

saw this posted on one of the other groups - I don't always go for these 'albums ranked' videos but this one I thought was very good! I like his positive approach and you can really tell his love for the band and the music in his comments. Worth checking out! It's an hour so maybe watch on double speed if you are short on time!

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Really love both Paradox Hotel as well as Adam & Eve. The latter is kind of an odd one in their catalog, IMO, maybe in part due to Daniel Gildenlow being a full member, but the songs are mostly killer, and the two epics are among their best I think. "Love Supreme" stands out to me as it has a chorus that repeats more often than TFK usually allow for. Most of the time it seems they only repeat a chorus twice and then move on, but that "It shines even brighter" part happens more than twice and I love it.

Paradox was the first TFK album I bought, and so it's always going to hold a special place in my heart. The Sum of No Evil is probably my favorite in terms of nostalgia though, as it was the first new TFK album that came out after I had become a fan and my hype levels were through the roof waiting on that one to get released. Still love that opening track, as well as "Love Is the Only Answer".
    Did you know that after Paradox Hotel was released, the New Jersey Proghouse had a Flower Kings Day, which as I recall was simply a full-length FK concert in a nice venue that was mostly empty! It was good though, and they played a good amount of the album. I also remember they played the song The Flower King - I THINK that might have been the only time I saw them play that live, and I remember Adam Perkowsky starting our row waving our arms in the air during the chorus, which I thought was pretty funny.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    I agree with you. I think a lot of their albums have a sound that is distinct from one to the next. Rainmaker had more "crunch" than Space Revolver, but like you said, not as colorful. It also had that Steely-Dan-goes-prog tune with "Serious Dreamers".

They also changed their sound a bit with Banks of Eden, incorporating a bit of a harder, darker edge into the epic track there. The shorter tunes were more light and upbeat though. Then with Desolation Rose they had a more unified sound playing with darker themes than they ever had previously I think. The tune "Last Carnivore" sounded a bit unlike any TFK song I'd heard before or since. That album seemed to alienate some longtime fans because of how much they had changed (at least in some fans' perception; a friend of mine from the old Genesis forums kind of fell out of love with the band after Banks of Eden and Desolation Rose).

Though I loved those two albums, I'm really enjoying the stuff Roine and the guys have been putting out recently. A lot of it is familiar at times, but I find that comforting. I hope Roine never changes drastically from his style of writing.

Edit: Forgot to mention Unfold the Future -- perhaps one of the most sprawling, ambitious albums I've ever heard by any band. And most of it actually works! TFK at their most jazz fusion-iest, and I love it. Totally different from Flower Power too.
    How do you like Roine's "Wall Street Voodoo" album? I like it, and I remember at the time a lot of people seemed to think it sounded considerably different from the rest. I didn't really think so, although Roine also was saying it was a change in style, which is why he released it under his name as I recall.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Did you know that after Paradox Hotel was released, the New Jersey Proghouse had a Flower Kings Day, which as I recall was simply a full-length FK concert in a nice venue that was mostly empty! It was good though, and they played a good amount of the album. I also remember they played the song The Flower King - I THINK that might have been the only time I saw them play that live, and I remember Adam Perkowsky starting our row waving our arms in the air during the chorus, which I thought was pretty funny.
    They used to play "The Flower King" all the time, in fact their set closers were usually "The Flower King" followed by "Stardust We Are". Looking forward to seeing them on the cruise soon.

Question probably for aith01 or SRS: How would you characterize the three CDs of bonus tracks that come with the A Kingdom of Colours II box set? The booklet doesn’t really give any info about them and their origins.

Question probably for aith01 or SRS: How would you characterize the three CDs of bonus tracks that come with the A Kingdom of Colours II box set? The booklet doesn’t really give any info about them and their origins.
    Well disc 3 is probably ones everyone already have already - they are the bonus tracks from the 2 cd versions of Banks of Eden and Desolation Rose.
    Probably the rarest or hardest to get songs were on the second disc - those 3 from a Japan only tour promo mini-cd.

Here is the detailed rundown with some comments

Bonus Disc 1

1 Kite 07:32 - originally on Édition Limitée Québec 1998 - Retropolis left over - This song is excellent!
    2 Buffalo Man 05:28 - Édition Limitée Québec 1998 - Retropolis left over - Very good
    3 The Flower King (re-recording 1998) 11:46 - originally on Scanning the Greenhouse - good but I prefer the original
    4 Stardust We Are (re-recording 1998) 08:57 - Scanning the Greenhouse - good but I prefer the original
    5 Last Exit 09:17 - Space Revolver Japan edition - Excellent!!!!! instrumental version of A King's Prayer
    6 Brazilian Woman 04:18 - Harvest Fan Club CD 2005 - I have this but don't remember this song
    7 Dexter Frank Jr. 02:24- Harvest Fan Club CD 2005 - I have this but don't remember this song
    8 Agent Supreme 02:34 - The Rainmaker LE bonus disc - different type of song, good
    9 Space Traveller 13:10 - Fan Club CD 2004 - written by Michael Stolt - parts are OK, overall not great imo

Bonus Disc 2

1 Petit Heritage 02:02 - Fan Club CD 2004 - don't remember much about this one
    2 A Good Heart 05:21 - Space Revolver Japan edition - Excellent
    3 The Crown and The Cross 04:54 - Harvest Fan Club CD 2005 -Beautiful song! love this one! from Adam & Eve era but originally meant for a Kaipa reunion that was abandoned.
    4 King of Grief 03:51 - Harvest Fan Club CD 2005 - instrumental - unused from Adam & Eve - quite good
    5 She Carved Me a Wooden Heart 05:59 - Japanese mini 3 song CD promo disc - later surfaced on A&E Japan edition - OK but not great
    6 Space Revolver 07:33 - from same above CD - instrumental very good guitar in second half
    7 Jupiter Backwards 06:25 - from same above - Excellent!!! One of my favorites
    8 The River 05:43 - Sum of No Evil bonus - great
    9 Turn The Stone 05:07 - SoNE bonus - GREAT! should have been on album proper
    10 Regal Divers 06:01 - SoNE bonus - instrumental - very good

Bonus Disc 3

1 Illuminati 06:20 - Banks of Eden bonus - instrumental- pretty good
    2 Fireghosts 05:50 - BoE bonus - very good
    3 Going Up 05:10 - BoE bonus - great! I think all of these BoE bonus songs should have been on the album
    4 LoLines 04:40 - BoE bonus - very good
    5 Runaway Train 04:41 - Desolation Rose bonus
    6 Interstellar Visitations 08:24- DR bonus - great moody instrumental
    7 Lazy Monkey 02:25 - DR bonus
    8 Psalm 2013 02:10 - DR bonus
    9 The Wailing Wall 03:18 - DR bonus
    10 Badbeats 05:24 - DR bonus
    11 Burning Spears 03:15 - DR bonus GREAT!!!
    12 The Final Era 02:57 -DR bonus

OH this reminds me - on my bonus disc 1 - track 5 "Last Exit" as the song ends there is a second of music from another song (it sounds like the beginning of "Agent Supreme") then track 5 ends and it goes into Track 6. I wonder if all pressings have this error.

How do you like Roine's "Wall Street Voodoo" album? I like it, and I remember at the time a lot of people seemed to think it sounded considerably different from the rest. I didn't really think so, although Roine also was saying it was a change in style, which is why he released it under his name as I recall.
    The Flower Kings are my favorite post-70’s band, but I think there’s only one or two good songs on that entire double album.

Quote Originally Posted by yesstiles View Post
    The Flower Kings are my favorite post-70’s band, but I think there’s only one or two good songs on that entire double album.
    I don't think I've listened to it since the year it came out. I remember really only liking the Joni Mitchell cover "Sex Kills" . I need to revisit the album again, I didn't really give it enough of a chance.