Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Flower Kings - By Royal Decree - 4 March 2022

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    They have done enough epics.
    There's probably a middle ground between "nothing but f***in' epics", as Mike Portnoy once (or twice) put it, and all shorter tracks. I enjoy the wide range of track lengths, from short transitions to epics. I would also enjoy more instrumentals in the vein of those they used to do in the early albums, which are now few and far between. "Circus Brimstone" and "Retropolis" come to mind.
    Last edited by calyx; 1 Week Ago at 07:07 AM.
    Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/ + "King Crimson" (2012/updated 2018) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/kingcrimson/
    Canterbury & prog interviews - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdf...IUPxUMA/videos

I'm always on board for more TFK.
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

Looking forward to this one. The last two albums were really strong, after what I consider a bit of a rough patch before that.

Roine must sleep two hours a night to be able to generate this amount of complex music year after year.

Hoping for a concept album ! The shorter songs on the last album didnt work for me.

On one of the Inside Out posts about this album on Facebook, I mentioned that remastering the back catalog presents a good opportunity to make the albums available in hi res. Roine Stolt himself (under the name Pale Rider) responded with this tidbit:

"Yes - I have started doing all that - Back catalogue will come in 24 bit /96 khz versions - with some songs remixed too ."

Whether those hi res versions make it to the US market will be up to Inside Out's distribution company, Century Media. These are the same folks who decided that a hi res version of Islands wasn't worth releasing in the US, even though it was released in Europe. A$$wipes!

Occipital Provocatee Plasmatopia's Avatar
    Yeah, I just saw this quote from Roine on Facebook:

"Next year will see the re-release of all the older TFK albums - remastered and partly re-mixed analogue. Including hi res / lossless 24bit/96 . ( but remember they were recorded late 90's.)"

That wording isn't exactly inspiring, depending on what "partly re-mixed analogue" means.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post

"Next year will see the re-release of all the older TFK albums - remastered and partly re-mixed analogue. Including hi res / lossless 24bit/96 . ( but remember they were recorded late 90's.)"

That wording isn't exactly inspiring, depending on what "partly re-mixed analogue" means.
    Maybe taking the digital files and converting them and running through an analog deck? Akerfeldt mentioned that they did something similar to the new vinyl In Cauda Venenum Connoisseur set, mixed down via analog tape, but the files were Protools digital.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Maybe taking the digital files and converting them and running through an analog deck? Akerfeldt mentioned that they did something similar to the new vinyl In Cauda Venenum Connoisseur set, mixed down via analog tape, but the files were Protools digital.
    Well, maybe that can add something of value, but it strikes me as sprinkling fairy dust on the fairy dust.
    <sig out of order>

Well yes, remember Roine's use of English is sometimes a little fanciful. What I take this to mean is that, as with "Unfold the Future", some of the tracks will be remixed from the analogue multis, and others will only be remastered, if they're happy enough with the original mixes or if the original multis are missing.

But maybe I'm getting it all wrong.
    Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/ + "King Crimson" (2012/updated 2018) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/kingcrimson/
    Canterbury & prog interviews - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdf...IUPxUMA/videos

Quote Originally Posted by calyx View Post
    Well yes, remember Roine's use of English is sometimes a little fanciful. What I take this to mean is that, as with "Unfold the Future", some of the tracks will be remixed from the analogue multis, and others will only be remastered, if they're happy enough with the original mixes or if the original multis are missing.

But maybe I'm getting it all wrong.
    Who knows? But in many of his remixes there are actually completely new parts/sounds or re-recorded tracks or alternate takes used. Maybe I'm just trying to read between the lines too much and more information will eventually come out in good time.
    <sig out of order>

For me, the original mixes from Space Revolver forward sound good. The albums before that could use some love. I don't necessarily need hi-res, though.

I hope the Flower Power remaster is gonna be done so that the master's quieter, less brickwalled and more dynamic than the original and not the other way around.

Re: Flower Power

Here's a snippet from an interview I did with Roine back in the days of the print magazine. It was for The Sea Within album but I snuck in a few questions about other aspects of his career as well:

LM: Next year is the 20th anniversary of the Flower Power album - one of my favourites from The Flower Kings. How do you look back on that particular album now?

RS: Well, let's first focus on the positive things about that album. Two things I remember: the writing process of the album - well, the main piece is of course Garden Of Dreams that Tomas Bodin and I wrote together. I remember that period of writing with fondness, we really had fun writing and putting this enormous song together of 62 minutes or whatever! (Laughs) So that was great fun. The other thing was, we hadn't signed with Inside Out yet, but we had gotten to the point where we started selling a substantial amount of records over Europe, Japan, United States, South America... and I was basically the record label at the time. So I remember doing this album, we took in orders and I realized about twelve or fifteen thousand copies of records that had to be sent out to different places in the world - some of them, of course, directly from the pressing plant, but I had to actually physically take care of some of that. And if you've seen like a thousand CDs you know it's a big pile of CDs... and then you imagine fifteen thousand. It's a big room filled with boxes and boxes and boxes of CDs! (Laughs) So that was like the breaking point where I realized I can't really do this myself anymore. I had an offer from Inside Out one year before that, they wanted to sign us and I said no, because we were making good money just doing the business ourselves. But then I realized I'm spending all my time in the office, and I just felt that I'm not here to actually sell albums, I'm here to make albums and to write music. So I got back to Inside Out when they approached me one more time, and I said yeah, this time we should probably look into something because I can't really handle the record sales anymore, so we signed with them. And that's the positive things I remember about Flower Power.

The negative thing I remember is that there may have been something in the recording process, the way we started using analog tape on 16 track and then we were trying to synchronize another 8 tracks on the digital I think, to get 24 tracks. It was a difficult time, and I remember mixing the album I felt some mistake had been made when recording the drums. I was trying desperately to make the drums sound good, and we couldn't really go back and track the drums again - so I felt very unhappy with the end result of the drum sound for that album. So unfortunately that's my memory of recording and mixing Flower Power. I remember taking the final mix to two different instances of mastering, and whatever I did, it really didn't come out right. So I had a sad feeling inside, you know, knowing we had to push it because I think we had a tour booked and we needed to get the album out, and everyone else was saying "Oh, it's okay... it's not perfect but the music is great", and I said "Noooo, the drum sound is terrible!" So that's my sad memory about releasing Flower Power - kind of overshadowing the fact that we were starting to sell lots of albums.
    Last edited by Progatron; 1 Week Ago at 01:23 PM.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk

I've always wanted to hear the band do an album that had an 'in studio' feel more akin to Spock's Beard back in the 90s. TFK albums up to Space Revolver always had a thin sound. Rainmaker on have had more listenable production for my ears. I really liked Banks of Eden, but never warmed up to Desolation Rose. Haven't heard the last 2 or the Roine Stolt's Flower King album in full, but I've loved the new keyboardist in what I have heard. I have to catch up. I have to say I'm not surprised Roine doesn't have more on deck for the near future!

I think Transatlantic is playing Morsefest this year. It'd be amazing if TFK played as well. I'd definitely go!

Space Revolver is the album where the production seemed fatter and richer.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post

Roine: The negative thing I remember is that there may have been something in the recording process, the way we started using analog tape on 16 track and then we were trying to synchronize another 8 tracks on the digital I think, to get 24 tracks. It was a difficult time, and I remember mixing the album I felt some mistake had been made when recording the drums. I was trying desperately to make the drums sound good, and we couldn't really go back and track the drums again - so I felt very unhappy with the end result of the drum sound for that album. So unfortunately that's my memory of recording and mixing Flower Power. I remember taking the final mix to two different instances of mastering, and whatever I did, it really didn't come out right. So I had a sad feeling inside, you know, knowing we had to push it because I think we had a tour booked and we needed to get the album out, and everyone else was saying "Oh, it's okay... it's not perfect but the music is great", and I said "Noooo, the drum sound is terrible!" So that's my sad memory about releasing Flower Power - kind of overshadowing the fact that we were starting to sell lots of albums.
    Thanks for posting that. I've heard a few references to Roine's dissatisfaction about the drum sound over the years. These days there is very good drum replacement software that should allow the performance to be preserved while upgrading the sound. It would be great if Flower Power was remixed at that level of detail.
    <sig out of order>

Thanks for posting that. I've heard a few references to Roine's dissatisfaction about the drum sound over the years. These days there is very good drum replacement software that should allow the performance to be preserved while upgrading the sound. It would be great if Flower Power was remixed at that level of detail.
    Speaking of TFK and drum replacement. I've noticed the early Flower Kings albums all have this awkward rimshot sample or something added to the snare tracks. I wonder how those albums would sound without that oddly loud and sharp sample. I think Roine stopped using the sample (or mixing it in so aggressively) around Space Revolver or Unfold the Future.