Thread: FEATURED CD : The Flower Kings : Back In The World Of Adventure)

FEATURED CD : The Flower Kings : Back In The World Of Adventure)

Credit for this featured CD : Ten Thumbs

Based on a CD received from the collection bequeathed to Progressive Ears by the late Chris Buckley (Winkersnuff)

Ten Thumbs's comments:

My first Flower Kings is from the collection of Chris Buckley, Back In The World Of Adventure. I understand this to be primarily created by Roine Stoldt. I've given it eight listens over the past three weeks. First listens were on headphones, and I was searching or expecting some prog with an identity of it's own. Instead I heard on these listens what seemed at times ordinary or derivative, and at other times some parts that intrigued me. The next listens were in the car, less critical listens, and the arrangements coalesced more for me and the playing fit more, I wasn't searching, just listening and enjoying. Last listen it went back to just being ok to me. As primarily a solo album it is commendable.

For my ears, I think this will be an album that some days will work for me and other days I may not get through it all. Not a criticism of the album, just a reflection of my reactions to it.

Other cds received are Lalo Schifrin Bullitt Soundtrack and Music which works for me but at 31 tracks seems excessive, Happy The Man Crafty Hands which fits me well, and Art Bears The World As It Is Today which is a difficult stretch for me and with so much else to listen to, this one won't see much play.
    Regards,

Duncan

^ One of the best well-thought reviews of the whole Buckley distribution series. Bravo.

Many times I've tried to think positively about Flower Kings but I failed.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Like just about all TFK albums, this one suffers from some "filler" (my name for meandering pieces that don't seem to go anywhere, particular instrumentals that seem like little more than vehicles for solos). But it also has some finely crafted prog pieces, particularly the standout Big Puzzle. Also noteworthy are the title track, Go West Judas and the nicely melodic Theme For a Hero. I'm also a fan of My Cosmic Lover in spite of the somewhat dreadful lyrics. I find this to be a more solid release than their follow-up, Retropolis, but not as good as some that would follow like Stardust We Are and Flower Power.

I would agree with the above. FK seemed to cram far too much into their releases, a lot of them were doubles when they could have left out much of the filler stuff.

When they are good they are very good, but my god they can be indulgent.

I was ok with them up to Space Revolver, but since then their later output leaves me cold.

They are pretty good live though, or at least they were back in the 2000's when I saw them quite a lot.

I'm the guy that blindly loves everything Roine Stolt does. This is one of my least favorite...
    The Prog Corner

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Mail View Post
    I would agree with the above. FK seemed to cram far too much into their releases, a lot of them were doubles when they could have left out much of the filler stuff.

When they are good they are very good, but my god they can be indulgent.

I was ok with them up to Space Revolver, but since then their later output leaves me cold.

They are pretty good live though, or at least they were back in the 2000's when I saw them quite a lot.
    So when they got rid of the filler you dislike you gave up?

Don't worry, I got what you were really saying.

This is still one of the better TFK albums for me, but there really aren't many I dislike. As time goes on I do think there is some "filler" or at least things that I don't think add that much to the overall album.
    <sig out of order>

This was my first Flower Kings, I think I got is as a present from my parents after I had seen them in concert in Utrecht.

like miamiscot up there I pretty much love everything Stolt does. this included. Something about the Stolt / TFK world I just love living in it. So I really don't think of sections as filler, but more a part of a greater listening journey that the album takes you on. TFK albums aren't as constant 'on point' or 'immediate' like some bands. I enjoy the occasional quiet moments or random excursions to odd musical corners that they go on.

The joyous "World of Adventures" heartbreaking "Train to Nowhere" triumphant "Theme for a Hero" zany "My Cosmic Lover" and epic "Big Puzzle" are standouts on this one!

I try to play a bit of the music from each of Chris's gifts. He has a very wide musical palette. Some if not a lot, don't float my boat. Some I have not even heard of before. I'm aware of The Flower Kings but I have never heard a single note of their music. Back In The World Of Adventure is a quite good album. A nice mix of instrumental and vocal tracks. As it's their debut album, it stirs my interest to check out other Flower Kings albums.

My first TFK album. My road to discovering 3rd wave prog started with a friend recommending Dream Theater. That led to Transatlantic Bridge Across Forever, because Mike was on it. That led to Spock's Beard and TFK. When looking for my first TFK CD, this one was the only one Borders had in stock. So I bought it. Turned out to be a pretty good starting point.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

A bit of a mixed bag, some very good stuff and some cheesy stuff. More good then cheesy though.

Decided to give it a spin and yes, I still like it.

"Big Puzzle" is an egg-cellent tune. The interlude in 7 is very "Cinema Show" influenced. Or knicked.