Thread: R.I.P. Billy Hinsche (Beach Boys)

R.I.P. Billy Hinsche (Beach Boys)

He is not a household name, but boy what a resume and career he had.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...-obit-1260824/

Billy Hinsche, singer in the Sixties boy band Dino, Desi and Billy and longtime member of the Beach Boys’ touring unit, has died at the age of 70.

Lucie Arnaz — the daughter of Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz and whose brother Desi Arnaz Jr. was a member of Dino, Desi and Billy, along with Hinsche and Dean Martin’s son Dean Paul Martin — confirmed Hinsche’s death Saturday, revealing the cause as giant cell carcinoma.

After completing his schooling in the late Sixties, Hinsche joined the Beach Boys as a member of their touring unit and session musician. The multi-instrumentalist’s first tenure with the group ran from 1971 to 1977 — with Hinsche appearing on all albums from that era, from 1972’s Carl and the Passions – “So Tough” to 1980’s Keepin’ the Summer Alive — and then again from 1982 to 1996. In addition to playing keyboards and rhythm guitar, Hinsche was tasked with singing their hit “Sail On, Sailor” on tour in place of the song’s original vocalist Blondie Chaplin:

According to wiki, Billy Hinsche has provided backing vocals on recordings for Elton John's "Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me," Warren Zevon's "Desperados Under The Eaves," America's "Hat Trick," Joan Jett's "Good Music" and others.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    >> Desi Arnaz Jr. was a member of Dino, Desi and Billy, along with Hinsche and Dean Martin’s son Dean Paul Martin

Now THAT'S a supergroup!

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    >> Desi Arnaz Jr. was a member of Dino, Desi and Billy, along with Hinsche and Dean Martin’s son Dean Paul Martin

Now THAT'S a supergroup!

What a coincidence. Last night I watched the Dean Martin documentary on TCM and Billy made a few appearances talking about the Martin family and how much he enjoyed hanging around with them.

I saw him with the Beach Boys in 1971 in Philly. Even then I thought he was a has-been but at the same time was pretty happy to see that he was an integral part of the band.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.