Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: R.I.P. David Longdon (Big Big Train)

R.I.P. David Longdon (Big Big Train)

Horrible news! R.I.P. David!

David Longdon
    17th June 1965 - 20th November 2021

Big Big Train are extremely saddened to announce the death of David Longdon this afternoon in hospital in Nottingham, UK at the age of 56 following an accident in the early hours of Friday morning. He is survived by his two daughters Amelia and Eloise, his mother Vera and his partner Sarah Ewing.

Sarah Ewing comments: “David and I were best friends, partners and soul mates and I am utterly devastated by his loss. He was a beautiful person and I feel so lucky to have known and loved him.”
    Greg Spawton comments: “We are absolutely stunned to lose David. It is unspeakably cruel that a quirk of fate in the early hours of yesterday morning has deprived him and his loved ones of a happy future together and all of the opportunities, both personal and musical, that awaited him next year and beyond.”
    David joined Big Big Train in 2009, immediately making a significant impact with that year’s The Underfall Yard album. He proceeded to record a further eight studio albums with the band, including the forthcoming Welcome To The Planet, as well as fronting the band for a series of highly acclaimed concerts from 2015 onwards. In addition last year he released an album with the late Judy Dyble under the name Dyble Longdon. On the day before his accident he had been in the studio working on a new solo album.

“David made a huge impact on my life both musically and personally,” Spawton continues. “I loved him like a brother and already feel his loss very deeply. He was a true creative visionary with extraordinary depth of talent. But above all he was a first rate and very kind man. His family, friends, BBT bandmates and crew will miss him terribly.”

The band’s Welcome To The Planet album remains scheduled for release on 28th January 2022. A further statement regarding the band’s 2022 concerts and other activities will follow in due course.
    The band and their management request privacy for David’s family and friends at this extremely difficult time.

So sad. [emoji174]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am shocked. I so enjoyed his vocals. I was kind of on a blues kick but it'll be BBT all weekend.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

devastating news - so sorry for his family, friends and bandmates - stunned

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Speechless. RIP.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound.

RIP David. Life can be cruel.

OMG. Just stunned. Gutted.

Just awful for friends family and fans. He was a wonderful guy.
    Mark Monforti
    Co-Owner of Progrock.com
    www.ProgRock.com

North America Distribution
    https://essentials.ProgRock.com

900 + Podcasts here
    www.musicinwidescreen.com
    Live Shows Sunday 6pm-9pm CST Sundays @ ProgRock.com

Sad and shocking news. RIP David and deepest condolences to his family and friends.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Wow. What shocking news. Completely terrible and saddening. I'll be spinning my favorite BBT over the weekend.

RIP
    My favorite fortune cookie read: "The only way to be successful on the internet is the keep the assholes preventing valuable discussion and eliminate the discussion itself."

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm totally devastated by this news. He had SO much ahead of him!!! Wishing all the best possible support to his family. The world has lost an amazing talent

Oh no. Absolutely terrible news.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Oh my....this is just terrible terrible news, taken by an accident - so tragic. Feel so bad for his family and the band.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Jesus. Incredibly shocking and sad. I just saw this now, but the first song I listened to this morning was BBT's new song, "A Proper Froster." My first coherent thoughts were actually about his songs, and how I liked this one a lot.

I feel so sorry for his loved ones, the band, and all the fans. Hopes of seeing them live dashed again, though that's the least important of it.
    Primary procreation is accomplished…

Totally in shock. BBT were a big part of my life since 2009. This will be a tough one to get over.

I agree with everyone, this is shocking news and one of those things that come out of nowhere.
    I had to do a doubletake on the name when I saw the post..
    So young and what a talent, a voice that was amazing.
    He seemed like a very down to earth and humble person with a beautiful soul.

You will truly be missed David, and may your loved ones and friends be comforted knowing how much other's loved him, his work and his contribution to the world of music.
    Last edited by Top Cat; 2 Weeks Ago at 03:52 PM.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice Bandcamp: https://richardhermans.bandcamp.comYouTube: https://youtu.be/F34jl6fQVmA

woah... I've only just started to really enjoy this band too. RIP

I'm utterly shocked as well. This is so horrifying. He was such an amazing talent who brought so much to that band. Contrary to conventional wisdom, his songs tended to be my favorites, i.e. "Brave Captain" and "Leopards." His voice was incredible and his presence was so very powerful I couldn't imagine BBT without it. Rest in peace to such a dear soul, and massive condolences to his family, friends and bandmates.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    I'm utterly shocked as well. This is so horrifying. He was such an amazing talent who brought so much to that band. Contrary to conventional wisdom, his songs tended to be my favorites, i.e. "Brave Captain" and "Leopards." His voice was incredible and his presence was so very powerful I couldn't imagine BBT without it. Rest in peace to such a dear soul, and massive condolences to his family, friends and bandmates.
    And I just listened to "Leopards" again. Just tell me after listening to the part at 2:43 that begins "Oh my oh my..." that he wasn't an utterly emotional, soulful, INCREDIBLE vocalist.

"Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Wow that's sad. Even more regrets now that I missed last year's NJ Proghouse show due to the COVID cancellation, it was my first and last chance to hear David Longdon. I love his vocals (and compositions like Brave Captain and Wassail), and had hoped to hear them for many years to come.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    The poor band! Moving forward after the lineup changes, finally able to plan shows for 2022, new album on the way soon. Who knows what their path forward will be - possibly not a collective one at all. First, of course, they have to begin to deal with the personal loss, care for David's family, etc.

NP: BBT - Summer's Lease

Shockingly awful news. Just unfathomable.
    Publisher of Michael's Record Collection e-newsletter. Sign up for free at: https://michaelsrecordcollection.substack.com/
    Stories, video, and podcasts at: www.michaelsrecordcollection.com

Prayers for his soul and his family. Tragic !

What a terrible news!!!
    Rest In Peace David…

Holy shit. I couldn't believe it when I got home and read this horrible news! Shocking and truly sad. How awful for his family, friends and bandmates.

I will play the album he made with Judy Dyble last year in memory of both of them.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk